Picaxe-08M2+

DEFER

I have successfully programmed a picaxe-08M using the School Experimenters board (AXE092) which is connected to the PC via the USB serial cable. I have just purchased the PICAXE-08M2+ which I was certain was a direct replacement for the 08M albeit enhanced ( bigger memory etc). To make a long story short, the 08M2+ cannot be programmed ( at least I have not been able to yet) with the Schools Experimenters Board. The error dialog box comes up when I try to down load a trivial program to it:
It says:
--------------------------------------------------------
Error-incorrect hardware found for this software mode!
Possible Causes:
1) Software is in the wrong mode.
2) wrong hardware is connected.
The software is currently in the mode for: Picaxe-08M 4MHz
The hardware connected to the computer is : Picaxe-08
Do you want to change mode

yes no
-------------------------------------------------------

Could this be a Programming Editor Problem?.. The version I'm currently using is 5.2.0.
Could all the PICs I purchased ( 10 off) be bad? Maybe they have not got the boot-strap software loaded? although they were purchased from the genuine PICAXE SHOP.
I'm new to Forums and I'm finding difficulty in navigating around so could some one help me on this.
Much appreciated.

DEFER

JimPerry, neither of the two options 08, or 08M change the outcome. There is no 08M2+ option ( which is the chip I'm trying to use here) though, so I'm wondering whether I should upgrade the Programming Editor ( currently V5.2.0) to a newer version if there is one. The serial USB cable works fine as I tried it with the old chip. The School Experimenters Board works with the old chip too. Do you think I should put the software on another PC and see what happens JimPerry?

regards
P.F

geoff07

You are not using the latest PE. I have version 5.5.6 of PE5, and then there is PE6. This matters as newer chips don't get retrofitted.

DEFER

Thank you all guys. Got PE 5.5.6 matched the software mode with the hardware and it all worked like a charm.
Regards
Phil

inglewoodpete

... so I'm wondering whether I should upgrade the Programming Editor ( currently V5.2.0) to a newer version if there is one.
I downloaded my version 5.2.0 of the PE in February 2008. Put simply, it has been superseded many times over. I now use a beta version of PE Version 6 (6.0.6.4), a far superior editor/debugger.