MacAXEpad tool bar missing...

wchundak

Just installed latest MacAXEpad version on a MacBook Pro Retina Display OSX v10.9 Mavericks and the tool bar doesn't seem to want to display. I notice that the app is set to open in low-resolution mode only and also I don't have a download cable plugged in yet. Any suggestions welcome...

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, mavericks has hidden the toolbar button for some reason, we'll look into it. You can still use the PICAXE menu and shortcut keys such as F4, F5 etc to do the same thing.
We are also in the process of converting from Carbon to Cocoa to make it look a bit prettier.

wchundak

Thanks for your reply and explanation. The menu functions work and the app's appearance looks fine except the program listing text is a little funky but very usable. Looking forward to the next version and many PICAXE projects to come!

tmfkam

I hadn't missed the toolbars!

It is possible to get PE6 running on OS X (Mavericks) using Wine. It is a bit of a pain to set up, but is possible.
Unless I want to use the (excellent) simulation features of PE6, I prefer to use Mac AxePad. If I need the simulation features I would generally load up Virtual Box (Running Windows XP) as this is far more responsive than running it under Wine.

One of the things I particularly like about the PicAxe processors is the superb simulation offered, much easier to write some code and then check it in the editor by running it than it is to program a chip, put the chip into a circuit start it, test it, guess where the error(s) are, take it out, write the code properly, program the chip, put the chip in a circuit...

Ideally I'd like a Mac version of PE6 with the full simulation facilities, but if all else fails, Wine (the program) and Virtual Box come to my rescue.