Error: Can't open port COM1

Hello
I keep getting this error "Error: Can't open port COM1." on picaxe editor 6.0.6.4. .
its a real pain. the program i am trying to load checks ok, but i cant actually upload it to the pic.
the only way i can get it to work is to remove and then re install picaxe editor 6

I am running win 7 on a 64 bit system

any ideas?

thanks

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Are you using an AXE027 download cable ? If so that would not normally appear as COM1. It may be that all you need to do is select the COM port which the AXE027 is on.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
There is no need to reinstall the software, the fault is elsewhere.

It sounds like you may have some other piece of software running that is also using the port?

I do not need to re install the software anymore.
But I do have to close and then re open PE to get it to work.
checking system manager there are no other software using com 1.
I cant explain why it is doing this

Still need to shut down PE to find com 1
new problem i have is that if ever i try to insert the debug command the PE freezes and cannot continue unless i press and hold reset or remove power from the picaxe chip.
As soon as reset is let go and or power restored, PE freezes again
my program is as follows

adcsetup = 0
symbol number = w1
symbol sensorin = a.0
main: w1 = 0

readadc sensorin, w1

debug
if w1 >= 1 then
high b.7
endif
pause 500
goto main

Ianj

I've just started using picaxe editor 6.0.6.4 also on a Win 7 64 bit system and I get occasionally get the same comm error message (except on comm 2)

I am using an AXE027 download cable.

My project is using a 40X2 chip and I'm using Slot 0 and 1 programming space.

What happens is that I will successfully download the program to Slot 0 but when I switch across to the Slot 1 tab and try to download the program I get the comm error message. Other times I can download to Slot 1 first and then it will fail for Slot 0.

I was restarting the program to cure the problem but I discovered that I could hit the "Refresh COM port" link in the Workspace Explorer window and that would also fix it

Hope this helps and thanks for the work on the new editor.

Ian J