That little clock that appears on screen when running a DS3232.

banda

This was originally part of another thread, that kind people helped me with.
However as time went by the thread sank further and further into the past, so the extra question I asked on the same topic remains unanswered.
The first bit is my thanks to the people who helped me with an earlier enquiry.

The second paragraph asks a question that is bothering me at the moment.
I am using Picaxe VSM.

Well, well, well. The things one learns when in August company.
Who would have thought of asking the system questions in the middle of a program?
Thanks to you all I can now have my little clock back whenever I want it.
I would be hopelessly lost without your help and advice.

I can't let it stop at that though.
Why is it I can't automatically initialise time from my PC?
I tick the appropriate little box, but the program restarts from the time it was closed at.
Is that not working with a DS3232 in PICAXE VSM ?
Will it work when I get on to breadboarding ?

westaust55

You could have just “bump” your thread to bring at back to the top. After a week that is acceptable if the question has been missed. Bumping is only frowned upon when impatient folks “bump” their thread after only a few hours of hour or 1 day.

With respect to your question:
You have not posted any code or schematic as the basis of a review in this or the previous thread (you were provided with code by others).

However, if you have a continuous supply or a back-up battery then the DS3232 will keep time so that once you set the current time, then whenever you read the time (with the main supply active) you will read back the correct subject to your program code being correct.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Why is it I can't automatically initialise time from my PC?
I tick the appropriate little box, but the program restarts from the time it was closed at.
Is that not working with a DS3232 in PICAXE VSM ?
It could be an issue with the DS3232 simulation model or perhaps some other issue. Added: Have you wired the DS3232 correctly, have you connected VBAT ?

If you have a design which uses the DS3232 and the program to use it then you can post those and people will be able to try it, see what happens and report back.

If you mean, will it have the current time when powered-up after it has been previously set, then I would expect it should.

Last edited: