5x7 matrix issue

JamesWhite

Hello everyone,

I have been working on a 5x7 led matrix project.
I saw a neat necklace in Nuts and Volts & on Hack A Day, and I thought I'd give it a go with a picaxe 20m2.
http://hackaday.com/2012/10/12/led-matrix-pendants/

Well I got it all built here are some pics...

Freeform!!!

IMGP1690.JPG

IMGP1691.JPG

Unlike the 'tinymatrix' I am not directly connecting the matrix to the pins of the picaxe. I do not have a final schematic, but I used 120 ohm resistors from the matrix rows to the picaxe pins and 2222 npn's for the columns w/ 4.7k base resistors.

Now for the issue that I am hoping someone can shed some light on (hah that was a bad pun).
I wrote this code and upon powering on, column 5 did not light. I looked at my soldering closer and discovered what I thought to be a missed solder joint from column 5 transistor to the matrix pin. I had just enough room to fit my iron in there to solder it. Upon powering on again column 2 lights up along with column 5 simultaneously and vice versa. I have looked for solder blobs, and other problems but am coming up empty handed.

I am wondering if somehow the matrix is shorted out inside? Has anyone had that happen before? If anyone has an idea or something that you think I should check... I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Code:
'Constants

symbol col1 = c.0
symbol col2 = c.3
symbol col3 = c.5
symbol col4 = b.5
symbol col5 = b.4

symbol row1 = b.2
symbol row2 = b.3
symbol row3 = c.4
symbol row4 = c.2
symbol row5 = c.1
symbol row6 = b.6
symbol row7 = b.7

symbol sw1 = c.6

'Directives

#picaxe 20m2

'Main Program

dirsB = %00000011
dirsC = %11000000

'setfreq m32

do

high col1

gosub scanrow

low col1

high col2

gosub scanrow

low col2

high col3

gosub scanrow

low col3

high col4

gosub scanrow

low col4

high col5

gosub scanrow

low col5

loop

scanrow:

high row1
pause 100
low row1

high row2
pause 100
low row2

high row3
pause 100
low row3

high row4
pause 100
low row4

high row5
pause 100
low row5

high row6
pause 100
low row6

high row7
pause 100
low row7

return

Last edited:

JamesWhite

Goeytex, this might sound silly, but is it ok to expose the pins of an unpowered picaxe to the meter? I mean is it ok to expose them to the +1.5v in an unpowered state?

JamesWhite

Thanks for your help.
Using the meter it seems that there is no obvious short between the pins from the matrix for the affected columns. Hmmm...
I'll have to do some more probing I suppose.

JamesWhite

Damnedest thing.... I could not find any faults with my meter. It could very well be operator error though.
Then I decided to reheat the affected pins from the matrix and now column 2 does not also light column 5... But column 5 does not light it's self, instead it lights column 2.
I think there must be a fault somewhere inside the array, perhaps from soldering so close to the component.
I figure I can either keep touching up the joints till it works or breaks... or live with a 4x7 display....
I don't know what to do. Suppose I'll try some more on it and see if I can break it, I can always make a new one.