Old computers and a bit about AI

rigidigital

HI, I think this thread should be in a general discussion forum but there ain't one...... Ive purchased an old commodore 64(is there any other type :) I like colleging but also i am loking forwards to using its serial port to use with a picaxe.

Robots and AI.-->
I saw a demo where the mechatronics scientist made a 6 legged small 'robot' teach itself to walk. He did not write software to tell the robot how to use its motors and legs to move about, he programmed it just to learn and by trial and error the thing began to walk around within a couple of minutes. He thought it had the intelligence of an insect.?

The most interesting show i have seen in a long time.

Dippy

Yes, that would be an intreresting link.

Umm; Post 1 - "I like colleging" - can someone translate for an old lag please?

Jamster

Prehaps it's this?

Looks to me like it knows how to interpret the balance data already and just learns how to walk from that...?

rigidigital

You found the robot Jamster, its a dark and grainy footage but it looks exactly like the robot on the fellas desk i watched.

the translation for COLLEGING ... is collecting, i have no idea what my fingers were trying to say :)

I will try and find a link to the whole story and post here, but it was awhile ago. One of the conclusions was thee will be a day when robots learn a lot of human ideas and emotions and could be considered alive. !!!! ???? here comes Skynet :)

Goeytex

One of the conclusions was thee will be a day when robots learn a lot of human ideas and emotions and could be considered alive.
That's all we need, slavery revolts and more "people" on welfare. Will the sick ones get free healthcare ?

PerthEng

Thought it must be akin to the art or process of collage.
In rigid'a case a melding of electronic forms ;-)

Good find on the link Jamster. :)

rigidigital

I would love to see a condensed code for self learning of the walking robot. I dont think i could follow hundreds of lines very well.

There were also two robots that learned it was a good idea to collect little red bricks. The researcher was astonished when one robot attacked the other by pushing it back and away and then it went back to stand beside the brick and guard it.

Last edited:

Dippy

Could you condense it? I doubt that, even at the simplest level, it is simple... unless you have a special modular language.

One robot attacked the other? "Anthropomorphic" is a word that springs to mind :)

I think we should the Mother In Law version of car SatNavs. Fit it in the back and it moans like hell.

rigidigital

Could you condense it? I doubt that, even at the simplest level, it is simple... unless you have a special modular language.

One robot attacked the other? "Anthropomorphic" is a word that springs to mind :)

I think we should the Mother In Law version of car SatNavs. Fit it in the back and it moans like hell.
I suppose that's all right, so long as Asimov's robot laws are programmed in. ,I cant remember the laws :)

rigidigital

Hi, Ive been looking into robotics for about 3 hours now :) Never considered it before !! It is more exciting than I’d realised, but also quite expensive. I suppose that would keep a lot of people out of the hobby but i think i will persevere.

I have looked at Lego Mindstorm, which looks amazing but again pretty expensive. , also i just downloaded Microsoft’s robotic studio. I believe you can make virtual robots before going ahead with a real robot. I cant figure it out yet but i only just downloaded it.

And EXTREME Snap Circuits... but the kits and prices vary a lot and i cant see what each kit offers to make a robot.

Then there is the bot 120 kit, its about $75 and picaxe powered, so that may be the best way to get started.??
robotics studio.jpg

Dippy

Old Lag is an old prisoner who has been in the clink many times.

I remember ages ago some pup was having a pop at the Old 'uns on the Forum using a term of endearment.
Or it may have been Old Hack.
I forget which one and whoever it was has slipped from memory.
It made me titter and so I keep trotting it out.

rigidigital

Old Lag is an old prisoner who has been in the clink many times.

I remember ages ago some pup was having a pop at the Old 'uns on the Forum using a term of endearment.
Or it may have been Old Hack.
I forget which one and whoever it was has slipped from memory.
It made me titter and so I keep trotting it out.
A;so a prisoner might say "I'm in for a big/long lag" Makes you wonder what LAG stands for or where its roots come from ? Maybe it because the prisoners have to LAG behind while their visitors get to go home :)

rigidigital

I found plenty of examples of 'learning code' in different languages with this google search --> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=NEURAL+NETWORK+SAMPLE+CODE&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=tm5VU_nJGOfC8gfzyIH4Aw

but it will take a lot of reading .

rigidigital

ve purchased a robot to build from spark fun. since i have a rasberri pi already and the extas i needed to order were priced well. The only draw back is i will have to start learning C or C++

still it saved me a bit of money . Id love to get a second one , maybe a different type like the bot 120 picaxe and see if i can make them fight over something :)