Integrated circuit motor driver

Technoman

Hi,

For a future design, I'd like to list the integrated circuit motor driver that can be used for simultaneous, bi-directional control of small motors (1 amp max).
Some commercial products are using chips from Toshiba, Allegro, ...

I am currently using the L293 ; is there a better choice?

inglewoodpete

I have used the L298 in many, many projects. It has provision for a heatsink and can handle 2 amps per H-bridge. For heavy loads, you can parallel both of the H-bridges that the L298 package contains to carry up to 4 amps.

The L298's pin-out is a little unusual but it can easily be fitted onto strip board (vero board).

Circuit

The main challenge is the nature of the connections; the device you mention is a standard, through-hole 2.54mm pitch 16 pin device - for most of us the easiest to use. The L298 that Inglewoodpete mentions is a little trickier, but with a pair of needle-noses pliers it can be fairly easily persuaded to mount on strip board. Most of the really interesting and more recent devices are not available in through-hole mounting; for example ST microelectronics make the very well specified L6226Q chip; a very capable little chip, MOSFET-based, that handles 8 to 52 volts supply and 2.8A peak current and has its own integrated free-wheeling diodes. The problem is that the package is a QFN32 5mm x 5mm surface mount arrangement that is not easy for the experimenter to connect to. This problem applies to many other potential candidates.
Incidentally, you mention that you are using the L293 chip; I prefer the L293D chip because of the inbuilt diode protection. This is generally much easier to use than the L293.
The L293D and L298 are really the mainstay of motor drive controllers for most amateurs. The remaining through-hole devices such as the Allegro A3972 are often more complex to use than these and are designed primarily for stepper motors. The A3972 is a competent little chip in a very manageable 24 pin package, but it requires serial control of its inbuilt PWM drive circuitry.
Finally, of course, there is the option of discrete components; I sometimes make up my own H-bridge drivers with MOSFETs where I need higher performance than the L293/298 provides.
And as something of a postscript, this application note from ST Microelectronics is one of the most useful guidance notes that you will find on the subject: http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/en/resource/technical/document/application_note/CD00003776.pdf

jojojo

Hello, I am just working on similar project.

Here are two ways : L298 and ... Simple relay (works fine also, and less expensive).

Both are used in order to be interfaced with a RC system receiver, but others applications would be easy to implement.

varimotL298.jpg

With single side, the PCB (done, here) is not really simple ...

varimotRelais.jpg

More tiny and simple to do.

Shoots are comming soon..

Last edited:

jojojo

Here are the shoots :

photoL298.jpg

Many straps, on the PCB.
Works fine without dissipator untill 2A.

photoRelais.jpg

This one is OK with 5A continuously (MOSFET is under PCB, solders side).

Cheers.

Technoman

Thanks to all.

@Circuit : I mentioned the L293, but I do mostly use the D version. On a pcb I designed, I can add free wheeling diodes with a L293 in case the motor needs a little more current. I'd like this chip has a short circuit protection, although it is very reliable and resist very well to my student's manipulations and errors.

I'm trying to record all these informations and others collected here and there on the web in Excel.

The fields are : Chip ref., Brand, Primary function (motor driver, MOSFET driver, ...), Number of H bridges, Max. current ouput, Stackable, Pinout compatibility, Overheating protection, Short circuit protection, Packaging, Particularities, Links, Cost

I am open to any suggestion.

Technoman

Thanks to all.

@Circuit : I mentioned the L293, but I do mostly use the D version. On a pcb I designed, I can add free wheeling diodes with a L293 in case the motor needs a little more current. I'd like this chip has a short circuit protection, although it is very reliable and resist very well to my student's manipulations and errors.

I'm trying to record all these informations and others collected here and there on the web in Excel.

The fields are : Chip ref., Brand, Primary function (motor driver, MOSFET driver, ...), Number of H bridges, Max. current ouput, Stackable, Pinout compatibility, Overheating protection, Short circuit protection, Packaging, Particularities, Links, Cost

I am open to any suggestion.

Circuit

Dear Technoman,

Have a look here; http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/pmic-motor-bridge-drivers/2556626?k=h bridge
You can download the table (option at the bottom of the list).
This selection of "motor, bridge drivers" produces a table of 3480 products! If you select "through hole" it then reduces this to 364 options.
Selecting "Brushed DC motor" and "dual full H-Bridge" brings this down to 19 - with this link;
http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-search/en?pv1664=11&pv255=100&FV=fff40027,fff802d2,1140050&k=h+bridge&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Most of the options that you mentions as "fields" in your table can be selected. A similar table can be selected at RS components or Farnell etc.

Good Luck!

jojojo

Short circuit protection
Hem ... I prefer over curent protection.
Using a simple résistor, a little filter (because PWM) and a control, via ADC input.

And, in my mind, there are also two other points very important :
- speed of protection diodes (if possible, <30ns).
- recuperation capacitor, as near as possible from motor circuit (re stocking inertial energy).

Respecting these rules allows to not distroy any Mosfet.

Valid likewise integrated or discret components bridges.

Regards.

Edit:
Damned, I forgot another point.

MosFets (or HexFets) must theoricaly be commanded in voltage mode.
BUT ! If you are using high frequency PWM, you must remember that curent command will be necessary (because internal capacity G-S).
In this case, take care with ouput ability of the µP.

Enjoy !

Last edited:

Technoman

@Circuit : thank you for the links. Obviously the number of products is high. I'll focus on 0.5 to 1A drivers.

@erco : I can't find the name of the manufacturer for the HG7881, which seems to be similar to the L9110 (manufacturer?). I only found documents, but in Chinese...

@jojojo : you are right, say over current protection. Thank you for reminding us these construction rules. Can you develop on recuperation capacitor? I'm not sure to understand.

The idea of this search is to find an IC suitable for driving small motors, hopefully better than the L293(D). I don't intend to build a circuit from discrete components to keep the whole thing simple.

Stack ability : is it commonly used and suitable to increase the output current? Some manufacturers are mentioning this capability.

jojojo

Can you develop on recuperation capacitor? I'm not sure to understand.
Simple and logic.

When motor is normaly rotating (normaly powered), it's just ... A motor.

But, when you stop it (no more powered), it become a generator (because inertie).
At this time, the energy delivered by the motor must be absorbed by one of two ways : Inside the MosFet ( :( ) , or inside a capacitor ( :eek: ) .

Capacitor is well done to do that.
NOT the MosFet.