Cheap GSM Autodialer.

the old fart

This is a cheap gsm autodialer.

It uses an old Nokia 3310 mobile phone, about a tenner on Ebay.
An 08M2 picaxe, and a few odds and ends.

PCB & Phone

Fitted to alarm box

Circuit

Program
Code:
#picaxe 08m2
;debug
start:
high c.0

if pinc.3=1 then gosub dialout1

if pinc.1=1 then 
tune c.1, 4,($30,$40,$50,$40,$50,$60,$70)
endif

goto start

dialout1:
low c.0
high c.4
pause 3000
low c.4

pause 1000

pause 4000

for b2=1 to 70
tune c.1,3,($50,$40,$30,$20)
next b2

pause 2000

return

dialout2:

high c.4
pause 2000
low c.4

pause 1000

tune c.1, 4,($80,$50,$30,$40,$60,$90)

pause 4000

for b2=1 to 20
tune c.1,3,($50,$40,$30,$20)
next b2

pause 2000

return
NO modification to the mobile hardware required.

I used the cable from an old mobile headset. Use the wires that goto pin 2 and 4 of the jackplug, pin 1 is the tip. Until you get that working do not proceed to the pcb. by shorting 2 and 4 together the phone goes into voice command dialling,( get that working first). Nokia 3109c uses pins 3 and 4.

The phone requires setting for, Speed dialling On; select phone number to dial and assign to speed dial 2; select voice tags, add voice tag,press Start on phone, then 'P' of PCB to save tones to mobile.make sure the jackplug is inserted into the phone.

The top LED shows the unit is in standby.
When triggered externally, or the 'T' button pressed, the standby Led goes off, The relay Led comes on for a few seconds, then the unit starts dialing out. First the previously recorded voice command, then a short pause, then sends an alarm tone.

The receiving mobile rings, displaying the alarm mobile number, either answer and hear the alarm tones, or drop the call. The alarm mobile then shuts off.

TOF

ZOR

I am waiting to receive a Nokia 3310 mobile, intending to build an auto dialler as done by the old fart (very greatful for posting)

If I copy the code will I dial out the old farts phone or a taxi service?? In other words is there a reference table to what tune will dial 0-9

Would hate to set TOF's alarm off.

the old fart

I am waiting to receive a Nokia 3310 mobile, intending to build an auto dialler as done by the old fart (very greatful for posting)

If I copy the code will I dial out the old farts phone or a taxi service?? In other words is there a reference table to what tune will dial 0-9

Would hate to set TOF's alarm off.
No chance of that...LOL..

from memory you enter the number you want to dial out in location one, then use the voice command to dial that number.

Unit is still working fine after all this time. just test occasionally so pay & go stays connected. BT/giffgaff will terminate sim if not used for three months.

TOF

ZOR

Good to hear from you, trust your well. I have not got the phone yet, bought on Ebay, so I know nothing about voice command, or location one. Hopefully make sense when I read up on it. I thought the dialout sound .... were the numbers to dial out.

As I say when I get the phone it might make sense. At least you won't get unwanted calls every minute while I'm playing around.

Best regards, thanks again

inglewoodpete

Just looking at the circuit diagram - I see you have the SerIn pin wired incorrectly to the input socket. You have the resistors connected as a voltage divider, which will not work in many circumstances. The 10k resistor should go from the serial socket 'live' to ground. The 22k resistor is drawn OK.

ZOR

Well spotted. I'm trying to see what the 4 pin device is below the 08M2, is it a terminal block with straightforward wire through. It's a very well put together project, lot of work in short space of time.

ZOR

I am trying to build this unit but need confirmation if the 4 pin assembly is a terminal block and one section is just termination.
Also is the ZTX653 transistor doing anything other than lighting the LED?
Picaxe pin C.2 outputs to the phone? yet does not get mentioned in the code.
What does the 70 times repitition of the tune c.1,3,($50,$40,$30,$20) do?
I know the 10k resistor is the wrong side of the 22k/Picaxe ser in.
Finally do tunes provoke the phone.
Sorry for so many questions, thanks

techElder

This project demonstrates a classic reason to use compiler symbols in your code.

And then there is the case for having no program lines remarked.

Symbols would lend clarity to the code for those using it and perhaps for the original poster (OP).

The usefulness of the project is now dependent on TOF still being around and on the forum regularly.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Picaxe pin C.2 outputs to the phone? yet does not get mentioned in the code.
There are also other apparent conflicts in the code. Unless TOF can clarify it is probably best to use the code and circuit for guidance and inspiration.

Finally do tunes provoke the phone.
It appears the PICAXE powers up the phone then uses TUNE to send a note sequence which is matched to the same sequence previously recorded into the phone so it auto-voice dials when it hears the tune.

What does the 70 times repitition of the tune c.1,3,($50,$40,$30,$20) do?
As that happens after the dialout I would guess it's simply the alarm sound he wants the person to hear after they have picked up the phone. Send it multiple times and it will be heard and gives time for someone who doesn't understand it to hand the phone to someone who does etc. The basic principle of keep crying "help" until help arrives.

ZOR

Many thanks hippy. I think I will put it together and see what happens. I know TOF did come back earlier so might come back. Thanks for your comments to mine.

Thanks Texasclodhopper, yes I am finding sybols and remarks make a big difference when looking back on code and wondering what it does.

the old fart

Hi Zor,

I'm still about.

this was one of my first attempts at programming.

first question is.

by connecting the phone connections together, does the phone go into voice command dialling.
you must get this working before looking at the circuit.

for some reason c.1 and c.2 didn't work as expected. but

if pinc.1=1 then
endif
when the phone asks for you to speak then pressing c.1 outputs the tones to the phone.

c.4 closes the relay, as if you were pushing the button on the headset to initiate voice dialing.

c.4 opens, then c.2 outputs a continuous tone for 70 cycles.
when I output to original program to c.2 it didn't work, but outputting to c.1 then pin 5 output a tune.

My unit is still working without fault, tested every few weeks.

I'll have a look at the code and put comments on it, but it will take a few days, but I will get back to you.

TOF

ZOR

Hello, thank you so much, good to hear you are still around.

Are the tones "voice tags", did you inject them somehow into the phone'

I now have a jack plug (4 contacts) and will play with voice command dialling. It will probably make sense if I bolt some pieces together and see what happens. Thanks for your comments, will go through them. No hurry back, your wife will be on your back!

Best regards

the old fart

that's right,

the tones are used instead of a spoken voice command.

the pair of wires to the phone detect the switch/relay to initiate the phone, the phone then waits for the voice command/tones from the picaxe.

ZOR

Thanks again. I have just tried shorting out 2 and 4 on a jack plug put in the Nokia 3310 phone, but nothing happens. So if thats the case then maybe I need to open the phone and wire some logic on the buttons. Would be a shame as you did it all outside the phone. I did buy a Nokia headphone lead, but breaking into the wires was like soldering to straw, so thin and wispy? Never mind will think on

the old fart

re-read the phone manual about setting up voice dialling.

the wires are small, that's why the cable is secured to the stripboard.

the block you referred to earlier is a relay, mentioned in the writeup. from memory think it was a reed relay. contacts on the outer pins.

ZOR

Will read up again. I know I entered a number in the phone book, then assigned a voice tag. Shorting out the jack does nothing. If I hold down the phones Start/Menu button it asks for a voice tag, so it's not that far away to work. Will go back to it. Thanks, I thought I read everything but did not see reference to relay, but now that bit makes sense why the transistors there. Thanks again

ZOR

My 3310 definately does not react to shorting 2 and 4 on jack. I found a Nokia wiring diagram for the jackplug/socket, and shorting 2 and 4 is shorting accross the microphone? nokia_3210_handsfree.gif So I think I might have to open the phone and wire over relevant keypads

the old fart

you still need to master the voice dialing, you've nearly got it.

once your voice dialing works, your ready to connect to the pcb terminals.

I un-soldered wires from headset button and used these to connect to pcb terminals.

the 'prog' button sends out the 'voice' command to the phone, instead of a human voice.

the test button / relay does short out the microphone, just like pushing the button on the headset.

ZOR

Thanks again. I put a number in the phonebook. I added a voice tag verbally. If I hold down the phones start/menu button it asks for a voice tag. So I cannot do anymore on the phone. Shorting out jackplug does nothing at all to the phone, maybe this ones not got it. I have just ordered a hands free kit for the phone, will see if that nudges it into life otherwise it's an opening up job maybe using speed dial function wired to keys. Never mind thanks for help.

the old fart

code with comments.
Code:
#picaxe 08m2
;on original circuit output to c.2 did not work,
; output to c.1 did output to c.2 
;strange but that how it worked.

;c.0 standby ind
;c.1 program PB
;c.2 output tunes to phone
;c.3 Test PB / from alarm 
;c.4 relay coil
;c.5 not used, tied low

start:
;standby indication led.
high c.0

;=== outputs VOICE to program phone =======
if pinc.1=1 then 
endif

goto start

;========== output ALARM VOICE dialling ================
dialout1:
; == short out microphone to put phone into VOICE mode ===
low c.0	;ind off
high c.4	;relay on
pause 3000
low c.4	;relay off

pause 1000
;=== output VOICE tones ===
tune c.2, 4,($30,$40,$50,$40,$50,$60,$70)

pause 4000 ; pause to allow phone to go into voice dialling mode
;=== output ALARM tune =====
for b2=1 to 70
tune c.2,3,($50,$40,$30,$20)
next b2

pause 2000

return

ZOR

Many thanks, that makes it much clearer. I obviously have a problem in that shorting out the microphone on the jack plug does nothing on my phone. I am waiting for a hands free lead to arrive to see if that does wake it up. Failing that if nothing happens I will use speed dial and devise 2 cheap servos as button pushers, or maybe find relays where I can extend the actuator.
However still hope I can use your idea. Thanks again for coming back and your time. Have good weekend

EDIT: My hands free cable arrived this morning. Holding button down invokes voice dialling? So now I will carefully open up switch to find wires. Don't know why just jack plug did not work. I had opened phone and found all parts of plug connected internally, so mystery? Regards

EDIT: There is more to this than shorting out two sections of the jack plug. I carefully opened the push button part of the hands free lead. I decided to remove the wires from the pushbutton as they were ready to resolder to new wiring. In doing this I chopped up the small pcb having the switch on. Now when I short out the microphone pair nothing happens to the phone. So there must be something on the pcb that made it work. Now ordering another lead, will have another go. Will also look on web to see if wiring diagram appears for pcb in kit. At least I got nearer Having whats left of my hands free wiring I have checked the wire ends go to 2 and 4, but shorting does nothing.

EDIT: Looked on web, cannot find any Nokia handset wiring showing anything different to just shorting microphone out. Will be a bit bulky but at least with a working handsfree kit I can wire across wires to work.

LAST EDIT:
Another hands free lead arrived. I opened it up after checking it's pushbutton fired up voice dial. I shorted out the wires on the pcb and it worked. I removed them from pcb and shorted them, did not work. I put the wires back and paralleld wires on the mic connection and it worked. I am still confused as why does putting back wires on pcb and shorting them work, maybe poor connections of wires (so small like straw). But if that's the case then why does shorting out 2 and 4 not work on a jack plug. I gave up and used the pushbutton section with wires coming out.
Tried to put a picture in but keep getting refused too big?

My next problem was after loading your amended code, remarked.
The tunes were amended to being C.2, which made my C.4 chatter. Returning codes to C.1 fixed the problems, everything now works.

Code:
         #picaxe 08m2
;on original circuit output to c.2 did not work,
; output to c.1 did output to c.2 
;strange but that how it worked.

;c.0 standby ind
;c.1 program PB
;c.2 output tunes to phone
;c.3 Test PB / from alarm 
;c.4 relay coil
;c.5 not used, tied low

start:
;standby indication led.
'high c.0

;=== outputs VOICE to program phone =======
if pinc.1=1 then 
endif

goto start

;========== output ALARM VOICE dialling ================
dialout1:
; == short out microphone to put phone into VOICE mode ===
low c.0	;ind off
high c.4	;relay on
pause 3000
low c.4	;relay off

pause 1000
;=== output VOICE tones ===
pause 4000 ; pause to allow phone to go into voice dialling mode

;=== output ALARM tune =====
for b2=1 to 5'70
tune c.1, 3,($50,$40,$30,$20)
next b2
pause 2000

return
FINAL FINAL:
Using an 08M2, all references tune c.1 changed to tune C.0 eliminating LED flashing on other port.

Last edited: