Low cost video microscope for SMD work

Marcwolf

Hi Folks.
Over the past years my eyes have been getting worse, and I get tired of needing several sets of glasses around so I can do work.

I investigated the cost of a decent microscope for work and the price was pretty horrific.. So I made my own for under $85

Parts - 7cm Car Reverser LCD monitor for about $30, TV Microscope for about $40, Microscope Stand TE13 $12, and a plate of some heavy material.

I found that the monitor actually ran internally on 5v so i did not need to use an extra power supply, but if you cut off the LCD's lead you MUST put the unused video line (it has 2) to ground.

The end results is this

SDC10236.JPG SDC10237.JPG

You can easily get tools etc under it to work on boards, At 10cm between work area and scope it give you about x10 magnification, the closer you go the higher the magnification.

I am using a video camera without the lens as my example and I have no problem with seeing the feeder wires on the actual CCD. Closer levels can get up to about 300+ magnification.

As you are looking in the direction of your work it;s easier to co-ordinate rather than having to look at a laptop/desktop with a USB Scope.

Enjoy
Marc

fernando_g

I have exactly the same problem... decreased eyesight coupled with smaller components. It is reaching a point where experimenting is becoming a chore.

What sort of video signals does the TV microscope will output?
Are they baseband (PAL in your case), RGB, DVI or what?

Where did you purchase the TV microscope? I have one at work (looks very similar at yours) but it is USB, and as such, I must have the computer powered on.

tony_g

nice idea there, i use a usb microscope for some small parts i use as the eyes are not liking the tiny smd bits

recently i had to place a 2mm X 2mm qson packaged component on one of my boards and found looking up at the laptop screen with no peripheral vision of where my hands were very disorientating to smoothly place it were it had to go, even though my hands were in front of me on the desk looking away at a screen made it seem a lot more challenging.

this is definately something i will have to look at doing,

nice work marc.

Marcwolf

Re the Microscope I am using..

Just go onto Ebay and type in TV Microscope, you will find them there. It puts u standard composite video signal that plugs into the monitor, or TV. Usually when you buy the microscope they give you a 5v power pack. As mentioned found that the monitor runs on 5v internally so I didn't need to worry about an extra power supply.

All the parts I used came from EBay :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400X-8LED-2-0M-AV-Digital-Microscope-Endoscope-Magnifier-Camera-TV-Out-White-/200789706570?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item2ebfffc74a

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-USB-Digital-Portable-Pen-Manual-Focus-Microscope-Stand-TE13-/181188759257?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item2a2fb10ed9

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5-TFT-LCD-Car-Rear-view-Color-Monitor-Screen-Reverse-Camera-Kit-DVD-VCR-New-/400607485020?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d46111c5c

Plus your own assembly :)
Marc

John West

That's too easy. I stack 3 pairs of reading glasses and hope they don't fall off onto my work while I'm soldering. :)