Cheap and Easy PICAxe Relative Humidity

dinki

I'm a PICAxe and electronics newbie. I've managed to put together a few circuits including one that reads temperature from a DS18B20 sensor. I'd now like to create a project that can read relative humidity inside my house. I've done some searching and found some relatively cheap parts (looking for under or around $10US), but the circuits required are somewhat complex. Is there an easy to use humidity sensor similar to the DS18B20? I'd also like to have it run at 5V if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hemi345

I used the HIH-5031 in a humidistat project. The 5031 has a filter on it for dusty environments (mine is located in the return air duct of my forced-air system). If you don't need the filter, the HIH-5030 is cheaper. It's $9 + $5 shipping on Mouser.com

dinki

Thanks guys. That is definitely a good price. I see that Marks has this running at 3.3V. Can I run this at 5V? Also, can I use this with a PICAxe 08m2?

Hemi345

Yep, it'll work fine at 5V. Search the active forum for hih-5031 and you'll probably find the thread where folks helped me with mine. Has logic for reading it at 5v. An 08m2 will work. You'll use a pin that supports ADC.

marks

Hi dinki,
you guys are spoilt in the US lol.
I think thats the benefit of the 5030 it can work from a supply of 2.7 to 5.5v
the output is proportional so it will return the same ADC values so
with the code as posted should be much the same for your 08m2.
For best results good supply decoupling even if using a battery
the 5030 needs a load resistor i used a 47k @ 3.3v i think this worked well at 5v too!
have seem some use a 100k @ 5v but I found this too be too high 62k would be better.
will add the datasheet to my above picaxe thread