Advice on Linx Technologies LICAL-ENC-LS001 encoder chip

Hi folks,

I'm trying to set up an encoded signal from a transmitter using the above chip.

It doesn't have a TE line, it simply wakes up when there is an active data line.

On the sample circuit, they ground unused data pins, but on the switched pin, there is a 200k resister to ground, and a Vcc connection to a switch. If I want to permanently have D0 attached to Vcc, do I need the 200k resistor? Can I just ground the unused data pins and fix the active pin to Vcc directly?

Am I correct in thinking that if I simply power the circuit on/off, it will continuously transmit the D0 signal? Is this really bad from a design perspective ie should I switch the D0 line and leave the Vcc power to the chip allowing the circuit to sleep/wake according to the D0 state?

Thanks

Doug

MPep

From the datasheet:
Data LinesThe LS Series has three data lines, D0 through D3. When any of these lines
goes high on the encoder, their states are recorded, encoded for transmission,
and then reproduced on the outputs of the decoder.
Oops :D

No mention of what the serial protocol looks like.
@N2k: you looking at decoding this?

Now you have me worried.
D0, D1, D2, D3. Can't I use all four lines? :)

I have the decoder chip as well.

Doug

(Now I get the oops. They made a little mistake in the printing. :) )

sghioto

The answer to your question in post #1 is yes! It will transmit the D0 data line continuously as long as D0 is held high, not sure why you would want to do that.

Steve G

The answer to your question in post #1 is yes! It will transmit the D0 data line continuously as long as D0 is held high, not sure why you would want to do that.

Steve G
Thanks steve,
I want a continuous indication of which transmitter is active. I finally figured out I can use a binary-to-decimal converter to extend this well beyond the D0-D3 arrangement. In the short term though, I'm going to restrict myself to four transmitters with four LED's on the Data Out lines of the decoder chip. Not quite PICAXE related but since I originally asked this question anyway since it started with a PICAXE chip question. Just turned out to be a simpler answer.

Thanks folks,
Doug

Buzby

Hi Doug,

What is the communication method between the transmitters and the receiver ?.

Will each TX have it's own ENC chip ?

Can more than one TX be active at any time ?.

The reason I ask is that if you have more than one active TX to a common receiver, the receiver will get confused.

Do you have a proposed circuit you could post ?

Cheers,

Buzby

sghioto

Doug,
I'm using these same same encoder/decoder chips for a wireless system and can tell you only one transmitter can be on at a time if they all use the same carrier frequency. I connected the output of the receiver decoders to a 74HC154 to convert to decimal which is then decoded by a 20M2. They work great as long as you are aware of the limitations. Good luck with your project.

Steve G

Thanks for your comments.
I've not got the posting of circuits down yet.

Here are the details. Each transmitter has an encoder. Each encoder has one of 4 data lines set high, to identify the transmitter uniquely. The encoders are triggered with a ball tilt sensor. Only one transmitter will be active at a time. The transmitters are in standby / sleep mode waiting for the encoder output. The transmitters are j05v paired with a j04v regen receiver. They were chosen for size 10mm width.

The decoder chip has (at this point) a different colored LED on each data line. At some point, if I decide to use more transmitters, I'll use a BCD-to-Decimal 7 segment decoder/driver to ID each transmitter. The encoders would be similarly hard coded to unique binary ID's.

I'm making the assumption that once the encoder power is shut off, the transmitter will quickly be out of the equation, allowing for another to take its place. If the transmitters "lingered" ie continued to transmit for any significant period of time, this would be problematic for me.

Since I'm not as challenged space-wise at the receiver end of things, I wondered about using a 433mHz super het receiver (although the manufacturer recommends using their receivers with their transmitters).

Hopefully, that's more or less clear. ;)

Thanks.
Doug

tbelo

Hi Doug,

I want to ask you about the rolling bars. Is triggering from those sensors enough to inform the receiver ?

Regards,
Theo

MartinM57

Welcome to the forum!

There is always a risk in asking a question on a thread that hasn't been active for nearly 4 years - and it appears that nitrous2000 hasn't posted much/anything since then either..so you may not get a reply...but here's hoping for you :)