microchip data sheet for the 08m2

SAborn

I think it has been asked several times what is the raw pic used for the 08m2 picaxe, but i was unable to find the answer.

I would like to wipe a 08m2 and program the basic pic for a small application, and would like to know what pic is actually used so i can read the data sheet to see if it will fit my needs.

The basic application i need to create is a serial baud converter to read in data at 4800 baud and re-send it at 56700 baud, which is a baud not supported by picaxe.

My thoughts are the 08m2 pic should be fast enough to bit bang the serial data as a raw pic.

Any ideas on which pic is used for the 08m2.

inglewoodpete

Practically any baud rate is easily supported on the 08M2. All datasheets for the current series can be referenced from this PICAXE web page.

Details on how to select any baud rate is described in detail in Manual 2 under hSerSetup. ...and here

I've used the 08M2 at 250kbits/s (as a PICAXE).

Last edited:

MPep

I would like to wipe a 08m2 and program the basic pic for a small application, and would like to know what pic is actually used

My impression is that those chips that have RevEd's markings on them, ie "08M2", then those are specifically made for RevEd. They will be based on existing Microchip products though.
I seem to recall a table of equivalent MC types that the revEd units are based on.

srnet

Its the 12F1840.

But the 08M2 supports custom baud rates anyway, using its hardware serial port.

inglewoodpete

My impression is that those chips that have RevEd's markings on them, ie "08M2", then those are specifically made for RevEd. They will be based on existing Microchip products though.
I seem to recall a table of equivalent MC types that the revEd units are based on
The only difference is the markings and because of that, it can't be called a PIC12F1840. Its what keeps lawyers employed.

Dippy

I'd be tempted to a buy a PIC suitable for your plan and keep the (more expensive) PICAXE for PICAXE projects - unless postage / time prevents it.

I'd be surprised if the 'base' PIC in the 08M2 is anything 'special', I'd guess you'd have to buy 10 million before Microchip would make a bespoke process. Whereas laser-etching (or whatever) of a blank 12F1840 (for example) would require fewer numbers ordered.(Still quite a few I'd imagine :) ).
Note: i think the marking is excellent by the way.

Goodness, I've used more brackets than Stan usually does ;)

srnet

Well I have a 08M2 here, and it still has an original Microchip label on it.

So you can guess which one it is.

SAborn

Thanks guys, thats very helpful.

IWP i was not aware of hsersetup could be used for non standard bauds, so thats handy information to know.

((Dippy)) [[ to source a pic chip for a one off application didnt seem worth it when i have a pile of 08m2 chips on hand ]]

{{ ok its a little higher in cost but a lot easier to use whats at hand, when i was prepared to use a 08m2 anyway if i could get the 56700 baud}}

I run out of brackets to use.:D