Manual input on Pin5 of 08M2 chip

Rbart

Hello, I am using 5.5.5 version of picaxe programming editor and 08M2+ chips
The manual suggests that Pin5 (leg 2) the serial input pin can be used as (IN)
Any assertion of Pin5 seems to initiate a 'Look for new download' as the program hangs, waits for 2 seconds then starts the user program from scratch.
Clearly, I am not defining Pin5 properly as an Input, Have tried: Input 5 and Input C.5 with no effect

Any help on masking the serial response to Pin5 would be most helpful.
Thanks, Rbart

westaust55

Note also that the Disconnect command take a finite time to be performed, even if it is the first line in your program.
Therefore you must still have a pull down resistor on the Serial In pin.

nick12ab

Should it not also be " pinC.5 " used and not pin5 for the 08m2 chip.
Yes it should, however as the 08M2 only has a single port it isn't really important if you don't plan to port the code to a 14M2 or other M2/X2 PICAXE.

With members often not using the #picaxe directive or specifying the PICAXE in a comment (though the #picaxe directive is better than a comment because it automatically selects the correct PICAXE in Programming Editor) and sometimes not even specifying the PICAXE they are using in their post, it helps to narrow down what range of PICAXEs are used if the correct nomenclature is used.

The B.x constants are the same as the C.x constants on the 08M2.

Finally, including the letter makes it clearer that you are using a pin so if you are using a command that you want to change the pin it operates on but you don't remember the syntax of the command, you can tell by the number preceded by the letter which argument is the pin number.

SAborn

Should be made mandatory in PE6 IMHO...
I could not agree more. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Perhaps some small buttons in the toolbar of PE6 for the later common chips, to auto insert the directive.
It would save syntax errors from the wrong chip selected in PE.
It also auto sets PE for the correct chip on program download, very handy when swapping chips and programs in a circuit.
Most important it would save many of us pulling our hair out trying to work out what chip posted code belongs to, before we can answer questions. :mad:

John West

Most important it would save many of us pulling our hair out trying to work out what chip posted code belongs to, before we can answer questions.
In such situations, it seems best to just ask the OP for the necessary info then sit back and await its arrival. It's fun to solve a problem, but the OP has a responsibility to provide the info that's necessary for problem solving. When I read a thread where the OP has been asked for necessary info, but hasn't provided it, I now fight the urge to waste time using my crystal ball. It's just not that reliable.

SAborn

The battery on my Crystal Ball is an aCd-type and ran out - anyone know where I can source a repacement?
Try China, they have everything, i think Dippy importd them for his crystal ball. ;)

westaust55

The battery on my Crystal Ball is an aCd-type and ran out - anyone know where I can source a repacement? :confused:
Time to upgrade your technology.

I have a "water powered" calculator. Just a simple 6 function type with LCD display. Instead of a normal battery it has a "water cell".
Once every roughly 6 months I have to top up the cell with filtered tap water.

For all I know in reality there might be a more conventional cell buried deep inside and the "water cell" acts as a conductive link to make the circuit - but it impresses a few folks when I demo it is not working, then just add water . . . .

SAborn

Thats impressive Westy, i can do one better as i have a water controlled PC, all one needs to do is add water and it shuts down, although restarts are a bit of a problem afterwards, it also works with coffee, beer, wine and all fluids. :eek:

alhoop

After a few hours trying to use pin c.5 on the 08m2 as an input I came to the forum and found out about disconnect. My circuit worked fine until I brought pin c.5 from low to high and I guess it was waiting forever for serin data. I read in one post where it would time out and run the entire program but that didn't happen for me unless I didn't wait long enough( at least five minutes). Disconnect works fine - the only way I can reprogram the chip is turn power off, click on program and THEN turn the power back on. Normal?
I'm using PE 5.5.3 - is there a later version or is PE 6 ready?
Al

Rick100

Disconnect works fine - the only way I can reprogram the chip is turn power off, click on program and THEN turn the power back on. Normal?
Yes, that's the way it's supposed to work. It's called a hard-reset procedure.

I'm using PE 5.5.3 - is there a later version or is PE 6 ready?
Al
The most recent version is 5.5.6. I've been using it and the latest version of PE6. PE6 really grows on you. I like the "Simple" editor option. Make sure you read the PE6 notes if your going to use it.
http://www.picaxe.com/docs/pe6.pdf

Good luck,
Rick

John West

I used to have a car that I had to add water to before it would run anywhere. I'd just top off the radiator, and away I'd go. But it would run out quickly, so I had to carry an extra can of water. I was getting about 20 miles a gallon.

AllyCat

Hi,

I read in one post where it would time out and run the entire program but that didn't happen for me
Did you use a timeout parameter with a valid address in the SERIN instruction? If not, and you commanded a DISCONNECT, then you can't really complain if that's precisely what the PICaxe does. ;)

With a timeout and appropriate address specified, or after receiving the expected serial data, you can program a RECONNECT and then program the chip normally next time.

Cheers, Alan.