Thermal imaging flashlight !

Dippy

Thats a cunning and clever project. Though the poster needs practice with cutting tape straight :)

Yuk! I just knew someone would respond with the word "awesome" ;)

Buzby

Clever ? - Yes.
Practical ? - I'm not sure.

The light that the 'real' camera collects is not just dependent on the RGB emitted by the LEDs, it is affected by the colour of the target as well.

So two objects at the same temperature, but different reflectances, will appear as different temperatures.

Or have I missed something ?

Pongo

Clever ? - Yes.
Practical ? - I'm not sure.

The light that the 'real' camera collects is not just dependent on the RGB emitted by the LEDs, it is affected by the colour of the target as well.

So two objects at the same temperature, but different reflectances, will appear as different temperatures.

Or have I missed something ?
More or less, but the color of the object can only affect the intensity of the reflected light, it can't affect the color (LED's have narrow emission spectra) so the effect may not be terrible compared to the other approximations. I take issue with "an infrared thermometer that reads the average temperature over a small area", hmmm, that sensor has a 90 degree viewing angle so you have to be pretty close to the object to be imaging a small area.

Regardless it's pretty ingenious, and the guy can be justifiably proud of it.

Buzby

... but the color of the object can only affect the intensity of the reflected light, it can't affect the color ...
A black object, even if it is 'hot', will not reflect any visible colour. It will appear 'dark' no matter what RGB is shining on it.

Regardless it's pretty ingenious, and the guy can be justifiably proud of it.
Yes, but I still can't see the point.

manuka

Trial anyone?

Can someone maybe give this a whirl? I'm offshore for quite some time (China & Philippines), so am devoid of facilities. Stan.

SAborn

Personally i see it as about much use as my Chinese made crystal ball, and i would wait till the bull calved before trying it, but im sure someone would find interest in attempting it.

Pongo

A black object, even if it is 'hot', will not reflect any visible colour. It will appear 'dark' no matter what RGB is shining on it.
True, but black isn't one of the colors so it's somewhat obvious that a black area isn't measured.

Well, you could figure out if the dog was sleeping on the bed when you were out :cool:

erco

Different strokes. Perhaps not a "must have" for everyone, but a fabulously creative idea, and a great example of fresh, "outside the box" thinking. I really like it.

IronJungle

Different strokes. Perhaps not a "must have" for everyone, but a fabulously creative idea, and a great example of fresh, "outside the box" thinking. I really like it.
That is were I am at with the project. It isn't designed to replace a commercial detector, but I give the guy tons of street cred for coming up with a concept that is, well; pretty damn cool.

mrburnette

Having used the Melexis 90614 in several projects, there is some obvious flaws in this thermal flashlight. First, the part sold by Sparkfun is the Melexis' MLX90614ESF-BAA and the Melexis datasheet for this device specifies 100mS for acquisition settling time (The author indicates that the flashlight must be panned across the room rather quickly to blanket the room for a long exposure with a camera.)

Settling time, sec
MLX90614BAA 0.10

The other rather obvious issue is that the IC comes from the factory set as:
As a standard, the MLX90614 is calibrated for an object emissivity of 1.
WHY does this matter? emissivity_table

Even the $9 IR thermometers from Harbor Freight are set with the emissivity at 90 - 95.

Oh, for a quick refresher on black body radiation:
"Blackbody radiation" or "cavity radiation" refers to an object or system which absorbs all radiation incident upon it and re-radiates energy which is characteristic of this radiating system only, not dependent upon the type of radiation which is incident upon it. The radiated energy can be considered to be produced by standing wave or resonant modes of the cavity which is radiating.
It's looks like a fun project to consume an entire Arduino, a $20 sensor, and lots of colored LEDS, but other than that it will not stand up to even cursory engineering scrutiny.
PICAXE code for my projects is available somewhere in the Forum and is based on the work of PHAnderson. Pictures are here:
PICAXE-Infrared-logging-Thermometer/ and here:
LASER-HEAT

- Ray

Last edited:

premelec

I've used a Black & Decker non-contact thermometer 'gun' for a couple of years which can be set for a ref temperature and then scans shine blue [cool] green [within ref] or red [hot] LED at what you are pointing at - there are various features I've liked or not - I subsequently bought a $15. Chinese model with scan recording hottest temperature of scan [and I wanted coolest!] which a also had a pretty much useless RED laser pointer - which can be turned off - to show where it's pointed... response seems pretty fast and if I could decipher the LCD display it could be made to scan walls etc... The Chinese model goes up to about 900 DegF and I pointed it at the sky and got -59 FDeg. Obviously because of emissivity and angle view etc these things are very rough and nevertheless useful. I use mine mostly to track wood stove activity and trend... The cheap whole house temperature camera has yet to appear and playing with non-contact thermometers and scans is fun and educational. I look forward to more such devices...

I recall that Heathkit decades ago made a very useful item for finding cold air leaks etc - an RC oscillator with loudspeaker or headphones where the R was a very small fast response thermistor so you would hear pitch changes as ambient air changes affected it - this could be easily done with a PICAXE READADC to tone output - finding tiny bead thermistors is sometimes hard and mounting them by their tiny wires is delicate... If you want air flow fluctuations as well as temperature variations you can run the thermistor hot by self heating...

Last edited:

mrburnette

<...>
... finding tiny bead thermistors is sometimes hard and mounting them by their tiny wires is delicate... If you want air flow fluctuations as well as temperature variations you can run the thermistor hot by self heating...
I seem to recall that one of my old Nissan automobiles used a hot-wire airflow (mass) meter as part of the input to the fuel injection computer... apparently, this has better response time than thermistors.
Hot_wire_sensor

- Ray

premelec

They're all subject to dust contamination and such - gotta love wikipedia - they cite cold wire sense units as well! Probably xmas light tungsten filaments could work well too... [now that we've converted to LEDs] - there are some thin film thermistors and the bottom line is - whatever works! I haven't looked at wikipedia for bolometers but I bet that's fun too... {"To measure the heat from a polar bear's seat at a half a kilometer..." as well as moon temperatures}... Happy New Year Ray...

mrburnette

I haven't looked at wikipedia for bolometers but I bet that's fun too... {"To measure the heat from a polar bear's seat at a half a kilometer..." as well as moon temperatures}... Happy New Year Ray...
Britianna states that Langley's most sophisticated platinum bolometer could
Changes in temperature as small as 0.0001° C may be detected in this way.
But... Wikipedia (to have the last word) states
By 1880, Langley's bolometer was refined enough to detect thermal radiation from a cow a quarter of a mile away.[3]
*3: http://www.hao.ucar.edu/education/bios/langley.php

Personally, I think the polar bear's rear would have been a better test subject than the common cow butt, but one must make do with what is at hand. :D

Happy New Year, too!

papaof2

The IR thermometers with laser pointer at least give you an idea of the area they are looking at. It's up to the user to judge the distance and determine how big the "spot" is - typically about 1 inch per foot of distance: 6 feet away it looks at a 6 inch circle.