Picaxe fake 'Russian bomb' controller

fernando_g

This last Christmas, I decided to amuse and startle some of my relatives with a "bomb controller" prank.

Essentially the prank consisted that an acquaintance had traveled to Cuba. While strolling the streets of Old Havana, he met an aging retired Cuban Colonel, who had a small shop, and he purchased some Soviet-era souvenirs (probably fake, if you ask me).

Up to here, the story is true...but the plot thickens, and I have to take some Hollywood-style artistic license. The Colonel took my acquaintance to a dark, damp back room, where there were crates of objects...The acquaintance saw this "thing", purchased and brought it home.

Supposedly, this thing will blow up. But to disable it, one has to enter the secret code. I then asked my naive nephews and nieces to enter a code.
However, what the didn't know is that regardless of the code, the countdown would ALWAYS speed up.
Once that the countdown reaches zero, the "thing" goes dead for a few second, and the a LOUD siren starts up, startling everyone.

It was a lot of fun! Now, this project is NOT OPTIMIZED at all....the idea came a few days prior to Christmas, such that I had to build it with whatever I could find on my parts and junk boxes.....I only purchased the strobe from a local alarm shop.
Watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agz-TT5D2D4&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

Last edited:

mrburnette

This is a hoot. :D

With all the paranoid people here in Atlanta, this would probably get me a night in the pokey. Living around an international airport makes the area kind of over-the-top crazy. Just pointing out stars with my laser makes neighbors think I am trying to zap airlines with a death ray!

- Ray

erco

Great gag. Per Ray, that's just the kind of humor that TSA airport employees would enjoy seeing in a carryon during the holiday travel rush... :)

fernando_g

I spent the holidays with my relatives in Mexico. I drove back to the states, and was VERY concerned that the customs inspector would be suspicious. So I decided to dismantle it.

srnet

I drove back to the states, and was VERY concerned that the customs inspector would be suspicious.
You know how children can say the truth and get you into trouble ?

Customs Official: "Excuse me Sir, what is this device ?"
Nearby Child: "Its a bomb, my daddy made it"