trouble with AXE213 reciever data units

Robtom8

At the moment i am having trouble with the data values that the PIC is recieving from the AXE123 reciever. the values that should be coming out when a push to make being pressed on the AXE123 transmitter board should be 49. However the value keeps changing everytime i press the push to make. Values that are random such as 48, 62, 6 and even 152 and 224. here is my reciever program:

main:
pause 10
serin c.7,n4800, b0,b1,b2,b3
debug
if b0 = 49 then straight
if b1 = 49 then back
if b2 = 49 then right
if b3 = 49 then left
goto main

straight:
let pinsb = %00000000
high b.0
high b.2
goto main

back:
let pinsb = %00000000
high b.1
high b.3
goto main

right:
let pinsb = %00000000
high b.0
high b.3
goto main

left:
let pinsb = %00000000
high b.1
high b.2
goto main

My program works and there are no kinks in it. is there any possible way of setting the imput to transmit a sertain value such as 49, so it stays constant and does not keep changing? or would it depend on the wires within the breadboard that i have made?

rossko57

Why do you think you should transmit the single character value 49? The AXE213 documentation says -
"The transmitter board is fitted with a test button ...
The test message is the eight ASCII characters “Test $xx” where ‘$xx’ is an
incrementing hexadecimal number from $00 to $FF"

Robtom8

i need the single character value 49 due to the nature of my project as when i press one of the directional keys on my laptop keyboard it will send a data value over the AXE123 units to opperate the motor on the reciever end. is there any way of setting a certain value to send over from the transmitter to the reciever

rossko57

Ah okay, the "push to make" is actually a laptop. Presumably that is running a little application that sends a data byte in response to key presses? And the data byte is sent out over a serial port or a USB-serial converter to an AXE213?

If you want that to always send the character 49, you'd write your laptop application to do that. Be careful to choose if you are sending ASCII 49 or hex 49.

Note that the AXE213 transmits in eight-byte bursts, so you'd need to pad your wanted 49 out with some NUL bytes for immediate transmission.

It's perhaps worth continuing this conversation on your previous thread
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?22203
where there is already some detail about what you are trying to do, and some relevant comments about the AXE213 - like for example, it won't transmit single bytes.