Programming Error - Hardware not found

Marcus3

Hi all,

I have bought my first picaxe (28X2) and I have tried to programate it from the Programming Editor.

I have installed the driver, which I downloaded from here http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Drivers/AXE027-USB-Cable-Driver/ , and when I look the options it says that the cable is connected and ready to use, but, when i clic program, it gives a error "Hardware not found" and it gives me three options:
1- Hardware not connected (And it is definitively connected with the cable I bought from the picaxe web)
2- Hardware without energy (I have bought the project board and it has a led which says on, and it's on)
3- Hardware must be restarted (I have done it several times and it doesn't work)

I have tried in three computers, two XP and a windows 7, and no result in any of them.

I hope someone can help me.

Thank you!

nick12ab

Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

Are you really sure it's connected?

Can you use the loopback test to test the download cable, and then if that passes then make sure that the PICAXE is correctly connected.

BeanieBots

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It might be a good idea to post a picture of your setup so that we can check it out.
As nick12ab says, does the loopback test work?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The first thing to check is that the correct COM port has been selected; the "AXE027 PICAXE USB" cable and not the default COM1 "Communications Port" which may be present, available and ready but not connected to a PICAXE.

Marcus3

Yes, it's connected, for sure.

Sorry, but I don't know what do you mean with loopback test and how I can do it and with the picture of the setup.

I have selected the right COM:

Error.JPG
Port.JPG

Thanks and sorry for taking too long to answer

nick12ab

Loopback test is where the Serial In and Serial Out connections on the serial cable are shorted together. This can be done by removing the PICAXE from the project board and inserting a wire link between the Serial In and Serial Out pins.

BeanieBots

If it's one of those little 'PP3' type batteries, it's probably flat. They only last a short while.
First off, try with a new battery.
What voltage do actually get at the PICAXE power pins?

Marcus3

To know the voltage I need to use a tester right? Cause I don't have anyone
Yes, it's a PP3 battery. With flat you mean without energy? (Sorry I'm not a native speaker)
The battery should be new, but I can try with an other one

nick12ab

OK, so it looks like the cable and port are OK and working.
Not necessarily. Final check to try is to use a continuity tester (multimeter) to see if the ground wire of the download cable is connected or broken. Check for continuity between the metal chassis of the computer and the ground connection on the download circuit when the download cable is plugged in.

With flat you mean without energy? (Sorry I'm not a native speaker)
Yes.

BeanieBots

It does not look like any of the obvious things so hopefully there is somebody at school who can help out.
Obvious things to try are:-
Can anybody else program your cicuit.
Can you program anybody elses circuit.
Use a DVM (digital volt meter) to test power AT THE PINS and check 0v continuity as described by nick.

Paix

Hola Marcus3,

The PICAXE requires 4.5V to 5.5V max at the VCC (positive power pin). You mention the use of a 9V battery. Can I safely assume that you are using a voltage regulator to deliver 5V nominal to the PICAXE chip?

Marcus3

No, I don't, but the information of the picaxe says that in VIN you can connect from 7 to 12 V, isn't it right?

westaust55

Hola Marcus3,

The PICAXE requires 4.5V to 5.5V max at the VCC (positive power pin). You mention the use of a 9V battery. Can I safely assume that you are using a voltage regulator to deliver 5V nominal to the PICAXE chip?
Marcus3 previously mentioned by the first link at post 13 that an AXE401 PICAXE shield is being used.
From the AXE401 datasheet section 1.2:
Recommended Supply Voltage 9-12V
5V Low drop out regulator 500mA
3V Low drop out regulator 500mA
and in section 3:
The shield base is primarily designed to be used with an
external ‘plug in the wall’ regulated power supply that provides 9-12V DC

Marcus3

I really don't understand, I have tried two PICAXEs, four computers, two cables, and diferent batteries, and without of them I can program it. The only thing I think it could be it's that I don't install the hardware correctly, but I don't know where.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The only thing I think it could be it's that I don't install the hardware correctly, but I don't know where.
It could be an assembly error, something in the wrong place, something not soldered in place, even the PICAXE chip fitted the wrong way round. Perhaps post a photograph of your assembled board.

Marcus3

But I have tried with two PICAXES. It's strange that both of them are broken not? I also have tried with a serial cable, and it doesn't work too, so it can't be a driver fault.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
No, it does sound like a board issue; are the links all in the right places ?

Marcus3

I don't understand why but one of them now works. On the other hand, I couldn't program the other one, so it's strange.

But, well, thanks for the help.

natdom

I know that it's an old post,
but
I bought a Axe 401 shield base and had the same problem and error message when trying to tranfer.
In my case, the problem was with the H2 and H3 jumpers that weren't in the right position by default. If it could help somebody.