axe027 hardware not found

mraviation10

hi im using an 18m2 pic and have a problem
im unable to download my program onto my pic
i have installed the drivers for the axe027 cable and win7 says it's working properly. programming editor also says that the port is ready for use. i have done the port test and everything is fine. only when i click program, it says hardware not found.
any solutions?
mr10

tony_g

do you have the 22k and 10k resistors in place for the download circuit? i forgot one of mine and got the same message,i also get it when i forget to remove an additional resistor i have going to the c.5 pin on my o8m2 as its used as an input as well on my breadboard setup. if youre using a breadboard like me hopefully that might help if not im sure someone on here will possibly know what else to try/check.

good luck

tony

tony_g

just another thought are you sure your pic is definately getting power on the pins from your source when you attempt to start the download,do you have a dmm to check.

tony

mraviation10

no im not using a breadboard - the thing is that are school everything worked and the cable downloaded but when i got home, it's just saying hardware not found

mraviation10

u see, i downloaded a program onto my pic at school and it did what i said it should do. but when i took the cable home - it wasn't able to download

nick12ab

Is your circuit definately the same as when you last programmed it at school with no modifications?

The firmware check button in the Options dialog - have you tried that?

Ensure that there's no #com directive in your program which would automatically change the selected COM port when you attempt a download.

mraviation10

this is my program - which works in simulation

symbol counter = b1

main:
b0= 0
gosub intro
gosub flash
gosub flash
gosub stay
gosub change
intro:
'untitled
tune B.7, 4,($29,$00)
return
flash:
counter = 0
do until counter > 5
high counter
pause 30
inc counter
loop
counter = 0
do until counter > 5
low counter
pause 30
inc counter
loop
counter = 0
return
stay:
do until counter > 5
high counter
pause 30
inc counter
loop
return
counter = 0
insert:
do ; start loop
if b0 = 2 then
exit
loop
else
for counter = 1 to 2
toggle 5
pause 30
toggle 4
pause 30
toggle 3
pause 30
toggle 2
pause 30
toggle 1
pause 30
toggle 0
pause 30
next counter
endif
if b0 = 0 then
b0 = 1
'smb
tune B.7, 6,($44,$44,$7C,$04,$40,$44,$47,$7C,$67,$6C,$40,$7C,$67,$6C,$64,$6C,$69,$6B,$6A,$69,$67,$44,$47,$49,$45,$47,$44,$40,$42,$6B,$7C,$40,$7C,$67,$6C,$64,$6C,$69,$6B,$6A,$69,$67,$44,$47,$49,$45,$47,$44,$40,$42,$6B,$7C,$47,$46,$45,$43,$7C,$44,$7C,$68,$69,$40,$7C,$69,$40,$42,$7C,$47,$46,$45,$43,$7C,$44,$7C,$50,$7C,$50,$50,$3C,$47,$46,$45,$43,$7C,$44,$7C,$68,$69,$40,$7C,$69,$40,$42,$7C,$43,$7C,$42,$7C,$40)
else if b0 = 1 then
b0 = 2
'TakeOnMe
tune B.7, 5, %00000000,($66,$66,$66,$62,$7C,$6B,$7C,$64,$7C,$64,$7C,$64,$68,$68,$69,$6B,$69,$69,$69,$64,$7C,$62,$7C,$66,$7C,$66,$7C,$66,$64,$64,$66,$64,$66,$66,$66,$62,$7C,$6B,$7C,$64,$7C,$64,$7C,$64,$68,$68,$69,$6B,$69,$69,$69,$64,$7C,$62,$7C,$66,$7C,$66,$7C,$66,$64,$64)
endif
goto change
change:
if input2 = on then
goto insert
endif
if input5 = on then
goto main
endif
goto change

nick12ab

Please put your lengthly code in
Code:
 tags as described in one of the sticky threads.

[QUOTE="mraviation10, post: 198089"]yh exactly but it says com9 instead[/QUOTE]

Eh? The forum doesn't charge you to post (nor is this Twitter) so you can write more than that. If you mean that you have a #com directive for COM9, remove it or change it to whatever COM port you're using.

nick12ab

i unfortunately do not have a reset on an 18m2
You don't use the reset pin option, you use the power cycling option:
To perform a hard reset using the power supply (all sizes):
  1. Disconnect the power supply.
  2. Wait until all power supply decoupling capacitors have discharged (can take up to 30 seconds or more depending on circuit design).
  3. Click the PICAXE>Program menu to start a download.
  4. Wait until the progress-bar appears on screen.
  5. Reconnect the power supply

nick12ab

i have done the port test and everything is fine.
What exactly is "the port test" - the LED test (find this in the Options dialog, click the green LED and measure the voltage at the serial in pin), the loopthrough test (short serial in and serial out on the PICAXE socket, send data using the Terminal [F8] and see if it re-appears in the terminal window?

i have installed the drivers for the axe027 cable and win7 says it's working properly.
That basically means that the driver's OK and the device has been recognised - you could plug in a really old USB drive, Windows will say it's OK and when you try to open it it will say insert a disk. Likewise with the programming cable, if the damage is between the USB plug and the PICAXE then Windows won't know that.

john2051

Hi, Are you using the same version of the programming editor that the school uses?. Does the software
identify the chip (chech firmware version)? Is it definately an 18m2?
I had trouble getting my windows 7 machine to work at first with the axe027, the way I got mine
working was to use the driver supplied by tech-supplies, not the one win7 tries to install.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

regards john

Goeytex

To test the Cable do a Loop Back test. See the attached file.

After you have the clip installed.

1. Open Program Editor
2. Goto Options > Serial Port. Make Sure the AXE027 highlighted
3. Click OK
4. Press F8. The terminal will open
5. Type "Hello" in the lower window. Click <Send>
6. Hello should appear in the upper Window.

Report back with your results.

Attachments

ca1naj610

Hello

I'm having the same "Hardware Not Found on COM4" problem. My setup is a 40x2, home constructed board, AXE027 cable, pushbutton to ground pin 1. Measured voltage
is 4.99V at pins 11, 32, 1. "The AXE027 IS connected to COM4 and is ready for use", the Ser In test is OK (ie. LED on = 4.99V and LED off = 0V). In reading the axe027.pdf document, section 5.1 says to "Check that the driver is owned by root and wheel". Is this a Windows 7 problem? When I followed the steps in a Terminal window, I could not cd with the operating system responding with "Cannot find the path". It has too long for me to go any further with command line input. I get the idea that Windows 7 is the obstruction toward getting my hardware to connect. All the hardware seems to be functional. I never encountered this problem using XP and Vista.

Help?

inglewoodpete

I have the AXE027 driver and cable working perfectly on Win7/32, Win7/64 and Win8/64, so I'm sure we can get you going.

Section 5 in the AXE027.PDF document refers to the Mac OSX operating system. You need to follow section 3 for Windows.

srnet

"Check that the driver is owned by root and wheel".
That relates to a MAC, so is unlikely to be a Windows problem.

So are you using a MAC based PC or a Windows one ?

ca1naj610

Thanks for correcting me! I have now followed section 3 and as I mentioned before, "Scan for USB cable" within the Options window reports that "An AXE027 download cable is connected to COM4 and is ready for use. Communication from the PC to the Picaxe works since the Serial In (USB Port Test) transitions between 5V and 0V upon clicking the LED. When I click "Check Firmware Version" is when I get the "Hardware not found on COM4" response even though COM4 is the port the cable is connected to and Windows Device Manager says the AXE027 PICAXE USB (COM4)?

ca1naj610

No, I mistakenly noticed the command line suggestion which is for a MAC. I am using Windows7.

If the Serial In communication is working, why would "Hardware not found" be reported?

OK, I have also an 8M2 board constructed similarly and "Hardware is found" so I will look for a hardware problem on the 40x2 board. Can I assume that the Serial In wiring path must be OK since the USB Port Test works?

Last edited:

papaof2

If the Serial In communication is working, why would "Hardware not found" be reported?
The Comm port hardware is fine - the message specified the port was found.

The PICAXE hardware is not being seen at the end of the cable.

That's most often a problem with the wiring to the PICAXE: serial connections reversed, 10K and 22K resistors not correctly wired, PICAXE doesn't have power.

inglewoodpete

Is the 40X2 a new one? Or have you previously programmed it with something that outputs debugging data to the computer (Debug or SerTxd commands)?

If either of the above at true, then open the PE's terminal window, ensure that you have the correct COM port selected and you should see something being written to the screen. I will look like gobbledegook is the terminal's baud rate is set wrong but it will tell you that the return path is working (or maybe not).

Otherwise, have you tried Goeytex's paperclip loopback trick which he describes in post #27 or this thread?