Water drop controller

Buzby

Hi Stewart,

That's much better !.

The tracks on the main board to the keypad look fine.

The code, as far as I could see, doesn't do any IO fighting.

So what are we left with ?.

( It's a long shot, but maybe the tracks and wires to the keypad are picking up induced spikes from the solenoids. )

If it was my 28X2s that were going belly up, I would unplug all the solenoids etc., then download a little program, just to scan the keys and sertxd them back to PE. Then I would double check the signals on the IO pins for the keypad. Those 2.5v readings do look somewhat peculiar.

As Allycat said in #303, if you press two buttons at once you will definitely connect outputs together. Have you pressed two at once ?.

Some 330R resistors will protect against multi-presses. You could add them with a little trace cutting.

Add330Rs.png ( You will need more than two, this picture just shows you the idea. )

You have put a lot of effort into this project, it would be a shame if fell at the last hurdle !.

Cheers,

Buzby

bfgstew

Thanks for that Buzby, really do appreciate the time and effort you (and others) have put into getting me this far.

I will have a go at your suggestions over the next week and see what the outcome is.

The strange thing is, I did have another 28X2, and curiosity got the better of me, I put it onto the board and it works fine!!!!! I will remove it and do mods as suggested to reduce the chance of any further damage.

One last thing, I was doing some testing last night, and I checked the power supply and the output when set at 12VDC, was in fact giving 17.4 VDC, I know the VR can cope with it and the output was, and still is bang on 5VDC. Could this have caused the failure?

Cheers

Stewart

PS power supply is 100mA

bfgstew

Screen shots of readings during keypad scan.

1st one is no button pressed monitoring Column.

NBPCOL.PNG

2nd is button pressed monitoring Column.

BPCOL.PNG

bfgstew

Next is button pressed monitoring Row.

BPROW.PNG

And last is 2 buttons pressed monitoring Row.

2BPROW.PNG

These results are the same for each row and column and for each button pressed while monitoring them, seems all is working as it should, the mystery deepens..........................???????

PS fitted 330 resistors to each of the tracks as suggested...................:)

bfgstew

I have found another power supply unit, this one is a MASCOT type 9983 12vdc MAX 500mA output, I have measured the output and it reading 12.04VDC, would this be more suitable for my needs, rather than the other variable power supply previously mentioned?

bfgstew

Well I am in the final stages of completion of this long running project, called "SixBox".
I now have control of 4 solenoids, a photogate / lasergate trigger, light / lightening trigger, sound trigger, timer function and macro rail function, all in one unit. All systems work, I now have to do some tweaks in the programming and that will be it.
I will post some photo's as soon as poss.
Many thanks to all who have contributed to helping me, without you, I would still be stumbling around blindly.

Stewart

bfgstew

At last a photo of the completed controller, took longer than I expected!
4 solenoids
Sound trigger
Macro rail
Light trigger
Timer
Laser gate trigger.

I will get some more phots with the trigger units attached, and I may even get a video together if my lad will let me borrow MY camcorder!!!!!!!

sixbox.JPG

bfgstew

This is with the laser gate attached, you can just make out the laser dots on the right side, the laser is top left and mirrors on both side make a nice criss cross beam that once broken triggers the camera, the photosensitive diode is bottom right of the frame.

DSC_0204.JPG

bfgstew

This is the macro rail, now controlled via my controller rather than IR remote as it was originally.

DSC_0207.JPG

bfgstew

Well, I have eventually finished this little project, all functions work as expected, thanks to numerous individuals on here for their help, guidance and expertise, for whom I am greatly indebted.
I shall post more pics as soon as I can.

Stewart