Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Water drop controller

Default Water drop controller

Hi everyone,

I am after building a water drop controller so I can photograph the collisions. I have seen the Cognysis and Drop shot equipment but it far to expensive and spoils half the fun buying it!
    I am after controlling up to 4 solenoid valves (12 or 24VDC) and have them drop 1, 2, 3 or 4 drops at variable times and sizes, independently of each other, it would be superb if it was in a hand held unit with a controlling interface rather than using an IR remote control or plugging into a PC to alter anything. Has anybody got any guidance or advice on this matter?

Many thanks

Stewart

Blog Entries

This thread (and others by Styrophil)
    may help

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthr...ight=Styrophil

e

Thanks E, good to hear from you again, will have a look through the threads and see if anything fits the bill.
    Cheers.
    Stewart

have them drop 1, 2, 3 or 4 drops at variable times and sizes
    Is not a water drop almost always the same size, as i thouht it was controlled by gravity/surface tention. (also a form of constant measurement)
    If you can master the droplet control via automation then we can all make a water printer as used in some car adds, several have tried on other forums with little success.

Look at the Camera Axe, not based on Picaxe, for lots of ideas.

http://www.cameraaxe.com/wiki/index....s#Valve_Sensor

Just use a picaxe output to switch a transistor.

These solenoid valves appear to work well

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView....e&form=KEYWORD

The way to do it is use Picaxe to open the shutter of the camera, in Bulb mode, output to switch solenoid valve to produce your drops ( you have to work out your own timings by trial and error ) most water drop collisions use just one solenoid as you need the drops to collide, the use the picaxe to fire flash.

Opto Isolators for safety to control camera and flash, beware of voltage on some flashes as they can go up to hundreds of volts. The flash required needs a way to control power, as this controls the duration of the flash.

Rinse aid mixed with the water, for dishwashers, and various other liquids (milk) have varying viscosities that will produce slightly different effects.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Blog Entries

What a brilliant source of ideas!

Cheers Smeagol.

e

Cheers guys, but so far not really what I was after, but as e says, nice one Smeagol.

I have have a camera trigger unit built on the HiViz multi trigger and it is superb. I just need to control these drops, but not just control them, I really need to make them dance for me, and the more control, the better.

I have attached a basic schematic of intended layout showing the option for more valves, adjustable height of the valves will be built into a frame. T1, T2 and T3 are the variable times between drops which need to be fully adjustable.
    The time the valve opens needs to be fully adjustable to as this determines the size of the drop, so for example, we can have a large drop to start, then gradually reduce the size on each drop, or the other way round, or the same size!

drop.JPG

Blog Entries

@Stew.

Can you provide link(s) for the controller(s)
    that you mention.

e

I think all you need for different "size" water drops is different size orifices.