Obtaining software to install Edit and Serial Link software on Windows 98

richardalbert

I have a problem in that some of the laptops available at my school are still running Windows 98SE rather than the XP system that I normally use. Is it possible to obtain a earlier installation program for Edit and Serial Link?

papaof2

Earlier versions of the Programming Editor do NOT support the latest chips (M2 series) and possibly some features on the newest X2 series chips. If you don't use the newest chips, someone probably has a copy of an older version of PE stashed away somewhere.

John

Last edited:

nick12ab

I just went through my downloads folder and the oldest installer I have is Programming Editor version 5.4.0. The installer is 70MB. It probably isn't compatible with Windows 98 anyway.

As you say that you only need to program and serial link, have you tried AXEPAD?

Actually forget that. Unless you can figure out which patch to install if there is one.

Hippy has previously explained about ATL security flaws that require a fix not compatible with Windows 98.
It wasn't really "removed" it just became impractical to support.

One of the key ( non Rev-Ed ) components used by Programming Editor had been affected by a Microsoft ATL flaw and became a security risk. The secure component requires other Microsoft components which refuse to install on a 98 system.

The Microsoft security advisory can be found here ...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/973882

The ATL flaw affected many developers as they had not realised they were creating security risk products which in turn presented security risks for their customers and end users. Products could be and were updated but those updates sometimes meant incompatibility with earlier versions of Windows which were knocked-on up the chain as is the case here.
Installing Linux and using linaxepad is a possibility.

richardalbert

Many thanks for the advice Nick. It is that security file srcvw4.dll among other things that appears to be missing. In my case none of the laptops will ever be connected to the web so security is the last of my problems. You suggestion of using Linux is interesting but clearly it would be easier for me if I could get a pre security copy of Edit. Best wishes Richard

nick12ab

Do the command-line PICAXE compilers work on W98? Rev-Ed (used to, at least) offer a Visual Basic .NET demo program with source code to assist writing your own PICAXE IDE - if the laptops don't have colour screens and/or you won't mind going without colour syntax highlighting then install .NET 2.0 on Windows 98 (it works) and add open and save buttons and dialogs to the AXE.NET Demo - Open code: if opendialog1.dialogresult = dialogresult.OK then : textbox1.text = my.computer.filesystem.readalltext(opendialog1.path) : endif. Save code: if savedialog1.dialogresult = dialogresult.ok then : my.computer.filesystem.writealltext(opendialog1.path, textbox1.text, false) : endif.

richardalbert

Dear Nick, I,m not sure how I check whether the compilers work in Win98. I checked the version number of a picaxe system I already operate on an ancient main frame 98SE and it's 5.02 so I guess your elderly installer 5.04 is probably not compatable. I shall try out your suggestions and let you know if I make any progress but in the meantime if you can suggest where I might get an installer version 5.02 it would be very helpful. Incidentally I tried transferring my editor piecemeal into the laptop and placing system files as I went but eventually the system locked up without indication of which file it needed. Awful piece of amateur hacking, I know but for a moment it appeared to be solving my problem. Best wishes, Richard

richardalbert

Thank you for that advice John. The version I used with school projects some years ago was 5.02 and I can still use this on an ancient mainframe. My problem is that I have four self build buggy kits that I want to use in a school project and the only available laptop is restricted to Win 98SE. Unfortunately I failed to save the installation software for edit and hence my appeal. As you say someone must have copy somewhere. Richard

nick12ab

It's not Programming Editor, but it's my play at using Rev-Ed's VB.net example compiler use and it provides core functionality like saving, opening, syntax check and programming. As it uses .NET 2.0, it will run on Windows 98 as long as the .NET framework is installed.

To use, simply unzip the program from the attached zipped folder, put the compilers from here into a folder called 'compilers' in the same directory as the executable and run the executable. Including the compilers in the zipped folder attached goes against Rev-Ed's licensing rules and they exceed the forum file size limit anyway.

Unfortunately, it is quite primitive compared to Programming Editor regarding the functionality of the text editor - no line numbers, no colour syntax and no automatic tabs.

Also consider downloading my PICAXE Calculator program for wizards/calculators for, currently, the compsetup, hintsetup, settimer, tmr3setup, adcconfig, dacsetup and hsersetup commands. Get it in this post.

The editor does, however, gets rid of the message box that appears after each download in favour of a small textbox at the bottom of the window but in the image above you can't see it as it is resized to the minimum size with the thin bar you can see.

Attachments

Last edited:

eclectic

I don't mean to sound defeatist, but
would it not be easier to scrounge a second-hand laptop?

Students, Staff or a local business might be able to help.

Put the word out.
You never know your luck. :)

e

westaust55

It would appear that any version of the P.E. prior to V5.3.0 will work with Win95/98.
Zip files sizes are large and the PE at V5.2.11 is 54MB. Could be broken down into several say 10 MB section.

nick12ab

The Wayback Machine is working again - Click here to start the download or copy and paste text below
Code:
http://web.archive.org/web/20101117040318/http://www.rev-ed.co.uk//software//bas805.exe
That version is 5.3.1 so it might not work but it is the earliest PICAXE Programming Editor download available on the Wayback Machine.

I agree with eclectic that you should try and get some newer laptops.

BCJKiwi

Have versions 5.2.6, 5.2.7, 5.2.9 and 5.2.10 on file.

If you let me know which one you want I could send it to you.

Last edited:

richardalbert

Dear Nick,
Thanks for reminding me about the thread. It would be so much easier if I could get Win 98SE compatible and I imagine there must be a number still kicking around in schools. I did download your package of compilers but I couldn't see how they would help me get past stage one. I can install the editor, but when I attempt to run, it informs me that I have a file missing, presumably from the systems folder. I have also tried simply hacking my existing 98SE version piecemeal and then supplying the various system files that are missing but eventually I cannot get past a final lockup where the correct pages are on screen and only escape releases the system. I really need a decompile at that stage. Best wishes,
Richard

nick12ab

I did download your package of compilers but I couldn't see how they would help me get past stage one.
The compilers are to enable downloading of the PICAXE programs and don't provide a complete IDE. If you want an editor, use my own basic editor in post 9, and when you get BCJKiwi's old copy of Programming Editor, you can install that. Note that old versions will not have support for newer PICAXEs like the 08M2, 14M2 and 20M2 BUT you might be able to work around that by using the syntax dll from a newer version and putting the compilers I gave the download link for in the Compilers folder of Programming Editor.[HR][/HR]Tested and working on Windows 98 virtual machine with 128MB RAM.
[HR][/HR]
I imagine there must be a number still kicking around in schools.
There probably is - why don't you look? Many of Rev-Ed's kits come with CD-ROMs loaded with Programming Editor.

Last edited:

richardalbert

That is great news Kiwi. Would it be possible for you to download version 5.2.6 which I assume must be the earliest. At the moment I use a version 5.02 on my desktop and this operates well under Win 98SE. Being a novice on this Forum I'm not sure how I should download software from you. I have downloaded one Editor from Nick but this was done via a Wayback Machine. Thanks again Richard

richardalbert

Many thanks for all your support Nick. I downloaded your Editor and for a moment looking at the Properties felt it must surely work but alas it behaved just like the current software on my laptop. Fortunately Kiwi has just made an offer of some editors that may well match my current 5.02 version.Best wishes, Richard

richardalbert

Thanks for that helpful information. At the moment I am using version 5.02 on my desktop which works well with a Win 98SE operating system. Its good to read a note from WA all my cousins live in and aroud Perth. Regards Richard

richardalbert

Have versions 5.2.6, 5.2.7, 5.2.9 and 5.2.10 on file.

If you let me know which one you want I could send it to you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is great news Kiwi. Would it be possible for you to download version 5.2.6 which I assume must be the earliest. At the moment I use a version 5.02 on my desktop and this operates well under Win 98SE. Being a novice on this Forum I'm not sure how I should download software from you. I have downloaded one Editor from Nick but this was done via a Wayback Machine. Thanks again Richard

richardalbert

It would appear that any version of the P.E. prior to V5.3.0 will work with Win95/98.
Zip files sizes are large and the PE at V5.2.11 is 54MB. Could be broken down into several say 10 MB section.
Thanks for that helpful information. At the moment I am using version 5.02 on my desktop which works well with a Win 98SE operating system. Its good to read a note from WA all my cousins live in and aroud Perth. Regards Richard

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
That is great news Kiwi. Would it be possible for you to download version 5.2.6 which I assume must be the earliest.
You really want the latest you can find, ideally 5.2.11, providing most up to date support while still being able to run under Window 98.

BCJKiwi

Will zip up 5.2.10 plus 5.2.10->5.2.11 patch on Hippy's advice sometime today (NZ time) so it will be available when you are on line.

BCJKiwi

I'm running into problems trying to find a way to get the files to you.
Doing through the forum is not practical as the files are too big and would have to be split in a very large number of small files that all have to be renamed.
I tried to PM Technical to get permission to post on the wayback machine or anywhere else but the PM system crashed (I'm having a lot of trouble even posting these days - the Forum is non-responsive much of the time and often I have to click 2 to 3 times to get threads open and sometimes the whole thing hangs for minutes at a time but usually completes. It seems the PM did not as not only did I not get a reply, it does not show in my sent PMs either!)

Does your school have the ability to recieve an FTP of the files? i.e. could you provide (via PM) a temporary login so I could transfer the files directly to you?

richardalbert

Sorry that you're having difficulty. Could you possibly attach a zip file to my address
*** removed by eclectic

See Nick's post below **

I'm running into problems trying to find a way to get the files to you.
Doing through the forum is not practical as the files are too big and would have to be split in a very large number of small files that all have to be renamed.
I tried to PM Technical to get permission to post on the wayback machine or anywhere else but the PM system crashed (I'm having a lot of trouble even posting these days - the Forum is non-responsive much of the time and often I have to click 2 to 3 times to get threads open and sometimes the whole thing hangs for minutes at a time but usually completes. It seems the PM did not as not only did I not get a reply, it does not show in my sent PMs either!)

Does your school have the ability to recieve an FTP of the files? i.e. could you provide (via PM) a temporary login so I could transfer the files directly to you?

Last edited by a moderator:

nick12ab

If you really have to publicly reveal your email address, make sure you take steps to avoid it being harvested by automated spam robots:
  • Insert spaces into the email address and state that their removal is required to send the email
  • Replace '@' with '[at]' and '.' with '[dot]'
  • Do not use mailto links
  • For more anti-harvesting protection, click here
Of course, it is always best to use the private messaging system to only reveal your email address to the forum member who needs to use it.

Last edited:

richardalbert

Sorry that you're having difficulty. Could you possibly attach a zip file to my address

* email address removed by eclectic *

i have also sent you a private message Richard

Last edited by a moderator:

BCJKiwi

Did request you reply via PM and have now reveived that.

As recommended above - remove your email address from the posts above!!!!!

nick12ab

Sorry that you're having difficulty. Could you possibly attach a zip file to my address [email removed] i have also sent you a private message Richard
You have been warned!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_harvesting

@BCJKiwi - Why don't you just send the Programming Editor to Richard's e-mail address anyway? Note that you might have to create multi-disk zip archives as one big file might be too big for an attachment.

If you really have to publicly reveal your email address, make sure you take steps to avoid it being harvested by automated spam robots:
  • Insert spaces into the email address and state that their removal is required to send the email
  • Replace '@' with '[at]' and '.' with '[dot]'
  • Do not use mailto links
  • For more anti-harvesting protection, click here
Of course, it is always best to use the private messaging system to only reveal your email address to the forum member who needs to use it.
[HR][/HR]On the subject of email spam, how about this for a poorly done fake email - a "Bank of America alart".

Click here to view big image - screenshot to prevent any spread of malicious content.

Of course, the site the link goes to - http://vintagecharm.com.au/wp-content/unusual/BankOfAmerica/ - is a reported web forgery and is strangely hosted on a rather innocent-looking site - http://vintagecharm.com.au/ - but this is probably just a mask for evil schemes.

Getting spam is more annoying than amusing - e.g. another recent email claimed to be the FBI and it said that they would "PUT YOU IN JAIL" if they didn't receive a reply.

Last edited:

richardalbert

All my problems have evaporated since someone has just discovered an ancient copy of Editor 5.2.5 that works fine within my 98SE OS. As a newcomer to your Forum I appreciated your considerable effort in moving me toward a solution, so many thanks Richard

BCJKiwi

From your PM it appears that you have finally received the 5.2.10/11 files I sent to you.
As recommended by others above, you would be best to use the latest version of PE that will run - i.e 5.2.11

@Hippy
Would it be possible to get this version posted on the the main Picaxe Website as there are still many millions of Win98x OSs in use.