Traffic Lights System

cheesemo27

Am doing a traffic lights system for ma project on my HND Electronics got my design but a was wanting to use a PLD and use coding on a micro controller is there any chips that could be recommended to get, the software that am using is Picaxe for the coding. what would be the pld to use aswell.

Tried to upload a pcb design of what i am going to do but it wouldn't upload

nick12ab

This should be asked in the Active PICAXE Forum as this is the finished projects area. WestAust already told you about that here.

PLD = programmable logic device? That is not a PICAXE. The PICAXE can easily handle traffic lights without the PLD.

You are doing... traffic lights... for a uni course. Right? Is there a specification like the one dbatra previously provided here? It might specify C only, Assembler only or no micros at all. Since in that other thread, you asked for "the coding" but don't end up like dbatra!

Anyway, you could use a PICAXE 18/20M2 which will provide sufficient pins.

Paix

In the six months since you first approached the forum for guidance you haven't managed to discover how to upload an image, despite the Vbulletin being an extremely popular provider of Bulletin Board/Forum software.

You obviously have a simple diagram somewhere of the layout of a three way set of traffic lights with a pedestrian crossing. Either provided or of course you will have prepared one for your documentation.

My recommendation is to get out and stand at such a junction for a short time. Watch the timing dependencies by noting the instantaneous state of the four sets of lights. You may need assistance from one or two colleagues, so that there are eyes to see all the lights. Position yourself to be able to see the set of lights by the crossing and the crossing lights. Have your mates use left arm up red light, right arm up amber and arms down green. So you are watching your lights and your two mates. Choose an early Sunday morning when the people and traffic are scarce, so that you get the hang of it and find the basic sequence. Having mapped all that onto a four column matrix, you will have an idea of what's going on. Repeat the exercise and either use someone to play pedestrian or come back at a slightly busier time and rely on the general public.

By that time, you should have figured out how to upload the notional diagram of the junction, just so that our Australian, New Zealand, US, continental and other members all know exactly what you are seeing and understand which side of the road the drivers up in Ayr actually drive on.

You will also be able to publish your table of light dependencies so that we know which lights are where and what they are doing. Then you will receive guidance if you haven't already worked it all out by yourself.

Sounds like a good plan producing a PCB before you have decided on what basic components you will use. How many processors do you want to use. One will obviously do the whole job, but that depends on what the rules of your assignment are.

Why not bounce YOUR ideas off the forum. You will be prevented from falling into the ditch as you develop your plans further and be secure in the knowledge that the work is your own. Keep the members in the loop as to what you are doing and you will end up a winner, even if you have to sort out some of the good advice along the way.

Latest version of the Programming Editor is 5.4.3 out on 03 December, so keep that up to date.

Good luck, I will be following your progress. I believe that it's your ball now . . . :)

cheesemo27

I was looking for advice on how to find the chip as i have the coding for it but i dunno where to get the chip from as its not on ur website, am just a beginner at this and a didn't know people took offence to me posting in the wrong forum i do apologise !!!!

mrburnette

Am doing a traffic lights system for ma project on my HND Electronics got my design but a was wanting to use a PLD and use coding on a micro controller is there any chips that could be recommended to get, the software that am using is Picaxe for the coding. what would be the pld to use aswell.

Tried to upload a pcb design of what i am going to do but it wouldn't upload
If you have the code from another source and it was written for a PICAXE, there should be a declaration somewhere in the top part of the code which appears as #PICAXE ???
The ??? represent the model of the uC that you require. Simply go here to purchase: http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Categories/PICAXE/PICAXEChips

SAborn

dunno where to get the chip from
The fish shop down the road sells "Chips" with or without salt.

Now if you referred to a picaxe type of chip than i would not send you to the fish shop.

cheesemo27

i have the coding for the 28x1/40x1 but i checked the picaxe website and they no longer do that chip which chip would i need to get ?