New from DORJI- direct sensor reading!

manuka

Thought this heads up may be of interest - perhaps even an answer to someone's needs?! Here's Dorji's spiel-
The DRF5150s module integrates 12bit high resolution ADC which can be used to connect different types of analogue or digital sensors - PT1000 (thin film platinum resistance), Dallas Semi/Maxim DS18B20(digital temperature), Sensirion SHT21/25(humidity) etc. Users don’t need to write codes between sensor and DRF5150S module, and no external MCU or other components are needed.

For the simplest application users can solder a sensor to the pins of DRF5150 module to build a wireless sensor transmitting system easily. The module can collect data from sensors and send it to the companion receiver module DRF4432S at configurable intervals, which minimizes the BOM cost and reduces development time for new projects.
Configuration is via "DRF_Tools_5150" software. Infineon's TDA510 RF IC is used (although this may be nearing obsolescence?) Module costs estimated in US$10-$20 range. Note that they can work in two modes-the simple direct Analogue Sensor mode as well as normal micro based serial data transmission.

The companion DRF4432S receiver has the same hardware as Dorji's DRF4432D20 transceiver, but software differs so they're not compatible. More details => www.dorji.com/docs/data/DRF5150.pdf Stan.

Attachments

Last edited:

MPep

That's a good find there Stan.
Direct connection to sensors certainly makes them 'ideal'.

Jeremy Harris

These look to be a great find. Thanks for letting us know about them. I only hope that they become available soon, as I have an application that could do with one of these right now!

manuka

Interesting little devices aren't they! No doubt function "blending" in this style will increasingly emerge. Micro offerings with inbuilt wireless already exist of course - hence Wixel and TI's eZ430 (both at 2.4GHz),and there's even a 2003 era 433 MHz rfPIC. However this is the first essentially wireless sub GHz module I've seen that can handle the "vice versa" of direct sensor reading as well, PLUS it looks very user friendly indeed.

Rest easy - PICAXEs will still find a niche with the module's normal serial mode,plus of course data handling at the receiver. I've twisted Dorji's arm to again send me samples,& intend a good workout upon their arrival. Australian PICAXE outlet MicroZed (who already stock other Dorji offerings) intends handling them.

Attachments

Last edited:

slowjeremy

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has posted up any schematics of working circuits for the DRF4432S, I've been trying to create a home temperature sensor system, made up of a network of 3 DRF5150S and 1 DRF4432S receiver. Trying to display the temperature data on an AXE133 OLED kit via a PICAXE40x2. Any insights/help/schematics on connecting a 4432S to a 40X2 and displaying the data on a AXE133 OLED would be most appreciated!

From an admittedly amateur picaxe hobbyist! :)

fernando_g

Input voltage 2.1 to 3.6 V
Clearly for battery powered projects.

However, one must double check that any external devices, they are also compatible with the expected battery voltage ranges.

For instance, Maxim's website indicates for the DS18B20 that: "Power Supply Range is 3.0V to 5.5V"
Perhaps three NiMh cells will meet both requirements.

westaust55

Any insights/help/schematics on connecting a 4432S to a 40X2 and displaying the data on a AXE133 OLED would be most appreciated!

From an admittedly amateur picaxe hobbyist! :)
I have recently (in conjunction with forum member SAborn) been doing some work using the Dorji DRF4431F13 module which uses the Silicon Labs Si4431 chip.
The Si4432 is identical in control the only difference is that the 4431 has a max power output of +13 dB (~20mW) whereas the 4432 has a max power output of +20 dB (~100mW).
Note that in Australia at least +14 dB (25 mW) is the max permmitted power and the Si4432 does have a 14 dB setting.

Presuming that I am home early enough tonight, I will post some tutorial type information which includes some basic PICAXE code (using 18M2's).
Compared to some other Dorji offerings, the Si4431/4432 need a lot more set up data to be sent to the chip each time it is powered up or brought out of sleep mode as settings are not stored in non-volatile memory.

Last edited:

manuka

I've been meaning to give these a work out myself, so it's good to hear of your joint quest-although the lack of NV storage is not so welcome.

manuka

VERY well covered guys. MicroZed & Dorji themselves would welcome this insight- do you want them alerted? All up it looks as if Dorji's enhanced DRF7020D13 may still be preferred for many applications. Stan.

manuka

Ciseco's XRF is "just" a superb data transceiver, and you have to organise your own data gathering hardware & micro - easy enough with a PICAXE of course! Dorji's DRF5150s is only a transmitter,but with onboard sensor reading capabilities. Look back at earlier postings in this forum for it's features.