Axe 027 Not Recognised

Yessir

I have been using my Axe027 USB download cable for several years without difficulties. Just recently I have started experiencing intermittent problems when plugging the USB cable in to my computer. Sometimes it is recognised by Windows and runs perfectly, on other occasions I plug it in but Windows does not recognise it. Windows then tries to install a default driver and it appears in the Device Manager under the USB Controllers as an Unknown Device. If I right click on the unknown device and attempt to update the driver I get a message that Windows cannot find a driver more up to date than the one already installed.

I have now tried on serveral occasions to reinstall the Axe027 drivers, but the situation has not improved. The real difficulty is that the problem is intermittent sometimes the cable is recognised and on other occasions it is not.

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Samsung NC10 netbook and I make sure that I use the same USB port each time.

To test the USB cable I have plugged it into another PC running Windows 7 and this works every time.

Any help would be appreciated.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It does sound like an odd fault that has appeared over time specific to that laptop; could the USB socket have got a bit wonky, worn or dusty and that's causing intermittent problems ? It might be worthwhile seeing if it works any better on another USB socket.

Though I'm generally adverse to suggesting it casually; a reinstall of Windows can help fix things, tidy up all the clutter which has crept in over the years which might be part of the problem.

Goeytex

Once I had a similar problem. I disconnected all USB devices except the mouse, opened Device manager and uninstalled EVERYTHING under Univeral Serial Bus Controllers. Then rebooted and let Windows detect and reinstall all USB Open Host Controllers and Hubs. While not quite as drastic as a complete Windows reinstall, you may need to have your Windows CD's handy if something fails to reinstall properly.

First, you may want to power down the Netbook and use some contact cleaner in the USB ports and see if it helps.

srnet

Can I spread a bit more doom and gloom ?

XP definetly has some issues with USB.

I have a USB hard drive and some flash drives that are only intermitently recognised by my XP desktop, although they are fine on other machines. Eventually they stop working completely so I have to re-image my machine and then it all works again ........

I once had a USB FM radio that just stopped working one day, no amount of re-install and hacking could get it working again. As expected a complete re-install of XP cured it.

Does not everyone keep a known good image of their desktop ?

Yessir

Just tried CCleaner, deleted a number of temporary files & cleaned the registry - its amazing how much rubbish gets left behind over time!

Plugged the cable back in and it was recognised first time. Only time will tell if this has solved the problem.

john2051

Hi, I have had success by carefully using a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol. I think though, that as
a quality connector, usb sockets and plugs dont even score.
I hope you manage to sort it.

ps I had one instant where the socket had a fractured joint on the pcb.. resoldering it cured that.

Regards john