​ ​ ​ ​ Error: hardware not found on Com Port
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Error: hardware not found on Com Port

Default Error: hardware not found on Com Port

Hello

I'm new to PICAXE. I keep getting error: hardware not found on Com port 9. I've purchased the AXE027 USB cable and using this with the 18M2 chip. I've downloaded and installed the update drivers and program editor. I've done this on two different machines, still get the error: hardware not found on Com Port (com5 on one pc and com9 on the other). I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the USB driver and Program Editor sereral times. I've used both battery power and a stabilized 5VDC supply. If you press F8 (i.e. PICAXE, Terminal on the menus) I get the Hello: I'm your PICAXE-18M2 message. I'm using the 22k & 10k resistors for the download circuit as per the manual, but the Hardware message is still there on both machines. Is this a AXE027 faulty cable? If you check the devices & printers menu on Win7, the drivers are present and installed USB drivers registered against the PICAXE027 device. Any ideas on why I'm getting the error: hardware not found on com 9 message?

Blog Entries

Circuit diagram?

Quote Originally Posted by nick12ab View Post
    Circuit diagram?
    hi Nick12ab

thanks for responding, the circuit diagram is as per the download circuit of the manual. I've not tried anything special yet, just trying the get the test procedure of the manual from PICAXE working. My USB cable AXE027 doesn't seem to be seen by the PICAXE program editor software, when you press the Program button on the software, it gives an error: hardware not found on com9. I believe it's a hardware issue? The USB drivers are installed and the Program Editor sees the USB cable on com9. But it just doesn't program. Any ideas?

What voltage are you using on the PicAxe?
    Many chips do not program easily with less than 4.5 volts.

Joel

Technical Support

Seeing the "Hello" message means you've got the AXE027 installed, the right port selected and everything basically working. It could just be that the 18M2 needs a kick with a 'hard reset' to get it listening ...

Turn the power to the PICAXE off
    Click the download button
    Wait for the pop-up to show "Connecting to hardware..." in the title bar
    Turn the PICAXE power back on.

With a fair wind the download should then commence.

Blog Entries

Also see the port test tools in P.E. Options if the hard reset doesn't fix it. All PICAXE chips when new seem to need a hard reset to start the first download.

These problems usually boil down to bad or incorrect connections to the Picaxe serial in/out pins. It's easy to get them mixed up or get the resistors in the wrong place.

See the attached file and triple check the connections.

In the Program Editor Go to Options> Serial Port. Make sure Com 9 is selected.

Put a check in the box that says "Show Port Help Tools". Then click on "test port". Follow the instructions in the window to the letter. Report back with the results.

Since we can only guess how your circuit looks it is always helpful to
    take a hi res photo of your circuit/breadboard and post it here. If there
    is a problem someone will find it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goeytex View Post
    These problems usually boil down to bad or incorrect connections to the Picaxe serial in/out pins. It's easy to get them mixed up or get the resistors in the wrong place.

See the attached file and triple check the connections.

In the Program Editor Go to Options> Serial Port. Make sure Com 9 is selected.

Put a check in the box that says "Show Port Help Tools". Then click on "test port". Follow the instructions in the window to the letter. Report back with the results.

Since we can only guess how your circuit looks it is always helpful to
    take a hi res photo of your circuit/breadboard and post it here. If there
    is a problem someone will find it.
    Hi Thanks for responding.

I've tried the hard reset, but still it's not able to Program. I've quadruple check the resistors and the voltage issues all mentioned by the kind guys here (I thank you all). I've a stable 5.02Vdc supply. the resistors are correct, again the Hello: I'm your PICAXE-18M2 message is present in Terminal mode. I've done the check for USB test and the simulated green light appears on that test no problems, but I still cannot download the test program:-

main: high 4
    pause 1000
    low 4
    pause 1000
    goto main.

comes up with error: hardware not found on com 9

What's it like! maybe a hammer! no only kidding.

Any ideas?

Are you using a Stereo 3.5mm jack socket?
    A mistake I often make is not connecting the two pins on either side of the middle pin together.
    which produces the error you discribed.

Quote Originally Posted by John22 View Post
    the simulated green light appears on that test no problems
    The green light means nothing with regard to the test being successful - read the words on the screen carefully. You need to probe the actually PICAXE serin pin when the green light is on to see what voltage is appearing there....