Which PICs are the new M2 chips based on?

artswan

Ok, I am curious. Which Microchip PIC microcontrollers are the new Picaxe 08M2, 14M2, and 20M2 based on?

:)

Rbeckett

I thought Rev-Ed had a deal worked to have a private chip with just there name and revision numbers on the M2 series. Was I mistaken? Please set me straight if I got that info wrong. Thanks!
Bob

MartinM57

I don't know what a "private chip" is, but Rev-Ed is pretty obviously (IMHO) saying, via a variety of phrases, that the M2 chips are more than just relabelled PICs.

Whether there are silicon die changes, internal firmware changes or anything else is pretty much speculation without any official statements - which look unlikely to be forthcoming.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 18M2 had a different development path to the later M2 chips, so the situation is not the same for all M2 parts. We are not being difficult, it's just that we cannot legally say a sentence like "a PICAXE-20M2 labelled part is a PICxx" due to trademarks and agreements etc. etc.

Perhaps an easier explanation is as follows:

Code:
PICAXE             DIP Chip Label     SOIC Chip Label
PICAXE-08M2        PICAXE-08M2+       12F1840
PICAXE-14M2        PICAXE-14M2        PIC16F1825
PICAXE-18M2        PICAXE-18M2        not currently available
PICAXE-20M2        PICAXE-20M2        PIC16F1829

Last edited:

John West

Thanks for the handy way to help identify those little SOIC PICAXE chips, Technical. My white dots were rubbing off. ;)

Last edited: