Verification Errors when downloading from a mac

Mikeyp

Hi,

I'm running into verification errors when I try to download programs to a PICAXE 18m2 on a mac, and would appreciate any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Here's a example of the error - it is always the same error at the same offset.

Code:
mikeyp-macbook:controller $ picaxe18m2 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-A6UC4STC  mcp9701.bas 

PICAXE-18M2 Enhanced Compiler. Version 1.7
Copyright (c) 1996-2011 Revolution Education Ltd
All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

Compiled successfully.
Memory used = 70 out of 2048 bytes.

Searching for hardware on /dev/tty.usbserial-A6UC4STC.
Downloading program.

line# 0 col# 0 

Error: 
Verification error - 0x00 transmitted but 0xFFFFFFFC received at byte 0
I'm using a USB-BUB from modern device http://shop.moderndevice.com/products/usb-bub as a USB to serial adapter. (This is the FTDI chip, programmed to invert TX/RX).

On the mac side, I'm running OSX 10.6.8, version 2.6.16 of the FTDI USB Serial drivers, and version 1.2.0 of Mac AXEPad. The machine is a 13" core2 duo macbook .

The USB device seems to be recognized by the mac, and reading appears to be ok:

Code:
mikeyp-macbook:controller $ picaxe18m2 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-A6UC4STC  -f mcp9701.bas 

All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

PASS - firmware PICAXE-18M2 v2.B
If I connect using a terminal, my program is writing (as expected) to the tty. In this case, it was programmed from another (Linux) machine:

Code:
mikeyp-macbook:controller $ picaxe18m2 -c/dev/tty.usbserial-A6UC4STC  -f -t mcp9701.bas 

All rights reserved.
www.picaxe.co.uk

PASS - firmware PICAXE-18M2 v2.B

Terminal open (4800,n,8,1) - Press <Enter> to exit...

&#65533;22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, 22.50, ^C

So far, I tried using a separate 5V supply in case the USB power wasn't sufficient, and I have tried USB ports directly on the mac and through a USB hub, with no difference.

The exact same hardware and USB cable are working fine from a Fedora 15 machine, so that's my current environment. However, I'll will need the macbook soon for 'field' debugging .

Does anyone have additional suggestions on what to try?

mike

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
First update to today's release of MacAXEpad.
Then try to start a new download with a hard reset (ie only power up the chip when the 'searching for hardware' message appaers on screen)

We are looking into why some Macs don't like downloading, it is very strange because a hard-reset always does seem work (as does all Linux machines, which run exactly the same shared source code in the compiler!).

Mikeyp

Thanks for the quick reply, but alas, no success with the latest 1.3.0 MacAXEPad, or a hard reset.

briankit

Try putting a smaller capacitor as close to the power supply pins on the pickle controller. This will eliminate noise on the supply rails. Hope that helps.

Mikeyp

Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck.

I'm on a breadboard with 100 uF across +5V and ground, and .01 uF near the power and ground pins.

I have never successfully downloaded a program from the Mac.

The same hardware and cable setup is working reliably on a Fedora 15 system, and a Fedora 14 system, so I really suspect a software problem somewhere in the OS library / FTDI driver layers.

kengabrielrov

Hi all,
I have had the same error when using a Mac. Same hardware on a windoze box works fine. I'm using an ATEN USB-serial converter (FTDI driver) and have found that if I connect up the hanshaking lines as if I was using a null modem cable that 9 times out of 10 the errors disappear. As well as using pins 2, 3 & 5 (Rx, Tx & gnd) connect pins 1,4 & 6 together also pins 7 & 8 together (not ALL together just as typed;-p). It appears the Mac OS likes this better.
Hope this helps

Mikeyp

Resolved

Wow - Success !

On the USB-BUB, I connected RTS (DB9-7) to CTS (DB9-8) , and the downloads and verification are fine from the mac. For now, I left DTR/DSR/DCD disconnected.

Thanks for the sage advice.