SMD PICAXEs: Firmware revision

inglewoodpete

Last May, I bought a 20X2 in DIP format and a couple of 20X2 SMD devices in one order.

The DIP was for breadboarding my concept and the SMDs were for the final circuits. The DIP firmware version was C.1. Once the concept was proven, I went on to develop the circuit board.

Initial testing of the circuit board has been disappointing. The firmware turns out to be C.0 and it does not handle interrupts correctly (where the f/w C.1 DIP version does).

What can be done in this situation? I know Rev-Ed offers free-of-charge (delivery paid by customer) reflashing for DIP PICAXEs but these are SMD chips, already soldered to their circuit boards, not able to do their intened job. Is it just a case of buyer beware?

Looking to the future, if I were to specify a minimum firmware revision when ordering PICAXEs, would that give me any advantage should an underspec chip be delivered?

Last edited:

Vroom

Really, same me 20X2 DIP was for breadboarding tested done well, SMDs will for the circuit board soon, but worrying about firmware turns out to be C.0 something like that beginning just read your situation , I bought 20X2 SMD, haven't on the circuit board until finishing make a PCB soon, it is willing same the problem? isn't it? I will test with SMD put in adapter socket (SMD to DIP) on the breadboarding later. Hopefully there sort out from Rev-Ed realize, thankyou for telling about 20X2 SMD firmware.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
We will do upgrades to latest firmware for DIP chips and I believe that also applies to unused SMD parts but I do not know what the situation is regarding SMD parts fitted to boards; I will have to ask for clarifications from above.

Prototyping should include testing with actual components which will be fitted in the final assembly before committing to production assembly and this should catch any incompatible firmware issues so I am not sure what the situation is in such cases, but I am sure we will do whatever we can to help regardless, though that's a matter which will have to be dealt with by others within Rev-Ed.

On specifying which firmware you need on orders ( whether direct or via a distributor or dealer, and likely applies to orders with other companies ) that may put you in a better position but may only have limited benefits; you may be able to get replacement parts if there is an error made but that won't necessarily cover used components nor the cost of removing and replacing parts You may still get embroiled in disputes about who is liable for what.

The best approach is to contact the manufacturer or dealer up-front and make arrangements for what is required rather than just noting it on an order form. You can then negotiate and come to an amicable arrangement which will help resolve any issues which do occur and it will be clearer who's liable for what.

techElder

Is there any indications on the OUTSIDE of the new chips that indicate the firmware version?

How could we ever know what version the firmware is without making it a "used" chip by connecting electricity to it?

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Is there any indications on the OUTSIDE of the new chips that indicate the firmware version?
There's no indication on the outside of the chip. It would probably be cost prohibitive to do that. I recall Technical saying that all chips shipped from Rev-Ed will be the latest firmware available but that may not hold true for dealers and distributors.

How could we ever know what version the firmware is without making it a "used" chip by connecting electricity to it?
You do have to connect electricity to determine the firmware version but as we upgrade returned chips which have been used it's not usually a problem. Only when the chips have been soldered to a board does a specific problem arise.

For SMD chips there's really two choices - check in a test jig which doesn't require the chip to be soldered, or to solder to the board and then check.

When soldering direct to a board, DIP or SMD, this is where contacting us or the dealer up-front is advantageous as agreement on what happens next, who is liable for what, can be agreed in advance.

inglewoodpete

There appear to be hardware solutions that I was not aware of. The cost of some of those cradles go well beyond the cost of buying replacement 20x2s.

I was hoping to draw a comment from Technical on Rev-Ed's policy on firmware upgrades, particularly when the SMD chips were suppied long after we were advised on firmware corrections.

Vroom

I was order and received new SMD-to-DIP adapter socket 28 pin yet beginning which papaof2 was put in Post. I put 20X2 SMD on adapter put on the breadboard and then Programming Editor checked SMD firmware version is C.1. so meaning lucky SMD and DIP are same f/v C.1. both? Thought C.0. but its C.1. so glad currently version. Everything is work with same coded (coded was first for DIP before) and same pins not a problem. I bought SMDs from microzed.com.au

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Several months have passed since I bought my 20X2 SMD devices. I imagine that the old F/W Rev.C.0 have gone by now. I think C.1 was released over a year ago: I was unlucky and got some old stock.

tarzan

Thought C.0. but its C.1. so glad currently version.
20X2 C.2 current version.

*** PICAXE-20X2 ***
The PICAXE-20X2 firmware is implemented on a PIC18F14K22
BASE FIRMWARE CODE:C
V0 FIRST PUBLIC RELEASE. ROHS COMPLIANT
V1 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH PLAY/TUNE/OWOUT/OWIN/READTEMP/READOWSN AFFECTING OTHER OUTPUTS
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERVO COMMAND IN EXISTING PROGRAM PREVENTING DATA MEMORY AREA REPROGRAMMING CORRECTLY
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SETTING Vref+ ON EXTERNAL ADC1 PIN
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH STRONG PULL-UP OPTION BIT AFTER OWIN/OWOUT COMMANDS
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH HSPISETUP COMMAND
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH INTERNAL HARDWARE INTERRUPT EVENTS (E.G. HINT0, TIMER ETC) STOPPING HSPI COMMUNICATION
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERVO COMMAND AT 32MHZ
MODIFIED SERVO COMMAND TO HELP REDUCE OCCASIONAL TWITCHING
MODIFIED SEROUT TIMING FOR MORE RELIABLE OPERATION WITH AXE033 SERIAL LCD
v2 CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SHIFTIN COMMAND
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH RUN COMMAND SOMETIMES NOT WORKING IF SERVO IS ACTIVE
PERIPHERAL MODULES (HI2C, HSERIAL, HSPI, SRLATCH) NOW RESET AFTER NEW PROGRAM DOWNLOAD
TIMER3 CLEARED AFTER RESET
PAUSE WITHIN AN INTERRUPT CAN NO LONGER BE INTERUPTED AGAIN AND HENCE SHORTENED
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH FIRST BYTE AFTER A BREAK IN HSEROUT BEING IGNORED
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH HPWM FULL AND HALF MODE OPERATION
CORRECTED ISSUE WITH SERIN TIMEOUT HALTING BACKGROUND TASKS
Requested feature for future release:
ADD INDIVIDUAL PIN MASKING OF HSERIN AND HSEROUT PINS WITHIN HSERSETUP COMMAND

Vroom

inglewoodpete- thanks, right yes f/v c.1. was over a year ago, I bought my 20X2 last December yes be C.1.

tarzan- thanks, really you meaning 20X2 f/v have C.2.?! maybe mine has problem with interrupts B0 and B1, isn't it? Serin timeout is fixed so better possible work out of time from serin?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I was hoping to draw a comment from Technical on Rev-Ed's policy on firmware upgrades, particularly when the SMD chips were suppied long after we were advised on firmware corrections.
When we release a firmware update all shelf stock is always completely removed and reprogrammed. Therefore we only sell the latest firmware that is available at that time. However naturally some distributors around the world may have older stock on the shelf for a while after a new release.

We do update firmware.txt with new issues as soon as we become aware of them (often prior to any new firmware release) so that people can read about any workaround that may be available.

We have always had a free firmware update policy, simply return us the chips and we will reprogram them for you free, this applies to both DIP and SOIC. However naturally in the latter case if they have been soldered to a board we would need to be able to easily access the programming pins. Our recommended way of doing this is to add the 'tag-connect' pads to your PCB (www.tag-connect.com).

inglewoodpete

My fault for not testing the depth of the water before jumping into the SMD pool. I was consumed by the size advantage and not thinking of other consequences. I'll keep tag-connect pads in mind for future designs. Or be more specific when ordering from agents in the colonies.