Smart Wire (Part No. PPM 108)

clockwork

Does anybody have any experience of using "Smart Wire".
Rev Ed Part Number PPM 108

In particular what voltages and currents are required to make the wire contract?
How quickly does it take to react?
How long does it take to complete one cycle i.e. shorten and then expand?

I am considering using "Smart Wire" to replace a number of Solenoids, is this practical
as I need a quick response to a button being pushed?

Clockwork

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
It contracts very quickly via self heating when a current is passed, the time to expand depends on the environment, as it is the time it takes to cool.

clockwork

Thanks Electic

Thanks for quick reply.

Info from Rapid shows Smart Wire can replace a Solenoid in some circumstances. As I need a small movement of a plunger to release a sear it should work providing components are accurate.

If it does work it will save weight and reduce cost. Speed of operation should be between
0.1 to 0.5 seconds. If I can keep it to below say 0.3 of a second that should be acceptable.

Battery drain will probably be not much worse than operating four solenoids. The Picaxe can switch off power to the wire after the minimum period for the wire to contract.

Clockwork

clockwork

Gunlock or inside a clock mechanism?

Sounds fascinationg.

e
I am thinking of something similar to the trigger (lock) mechanism of a firearm. The 4
wires (or solenoids ) need to operate once each time the device is used. The device
will be used in an illusion so no further details will be forthcoming.

Clockwork

kewakl

Looks interesting, but I can't see it replacing a solenoid.

e
Already has...somewhat.
Alfmeier Prazision uses SMA in their automotive comfort seating for pneumatic lumbar/bolster valving.

In the top pic, the part with 5 pins, two SMA wires actuate two valves.
The spring is visible in the pic.
*I am not familiar with the upper part shown in the top pic.*

Bottom pic shows completed module containing two valve modules from top pic.

Rickharris

The smart wire associated with a suitable mechanical system (levers etc) can provide pull in Kg range. It can be run from a single D cell (1.5 volts) as it is current driven - the wire shrinks when it gets hot.

However it does need a mechanical pull to re stretch as it cools.

There are Smart wire springs available which can provide a larger range of movement as well as a larger pull.

There are now 2 way springs available that work above and below a temp point to give bi directional movement http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=418_627_464&products_id=1151