Updated PICAXE-28X2 released

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Today we are pleased to announce a new version of the PICAXE-28X2 and 40X2 chips, based upon a new Microchip part (PIC18F25K22).

For the end user this offers several advantages including:
- Single chip now supports both 3V and 5V operation (2.1V to 5.5V operating range)
- Many additional analogue channels
- Support for capacitive touch sensors

For further details please see the updated X2 parts datasheet:
www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxex2.pdf

There are also new releases of the Programming Editor software and the PICAXE manuals now available to support this update.

John West

Oh no! Now I'll have to download a whole new version of the Editor. ;)

(Premelec, I'll bring by a new copy for you. I know dial-up is no picnic when it comes to PICAXE Editor downloads.)

Adamey

Oh boy, talk about good timing. This completely eliminates a problem I was having with a big project.

Merry Christmas to me... :)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
How do we know which version we are getting when we order "28X2" from vendors?
We expect most distributers to start stocking the new part with their next order, but it will naturally take a few weeks for this transition to occur everywhere. In the mean time you can always ask the distributer directly which chip is currently in stock. The picaxex2.pdf explains which PIC number is on the top of each type of chip, so the different parts are easily identified.

At the www.techsupplies.co.uk store the parts are already clearly marked as 28X2, 28X2-5V or 28X2-3V. The -5V and -3V parts will only be available until current stocks are exhausted.

We are also having a discounted clearance sale on the 28X2-5V version of the AXE200.
www.techsupplies.co.uk/AXE200

KeithRB

From the new section 2:
Receive 8 bytes of Manchester encoded radio data transmitted by a NKM2401
encoder or PICAXE rfout command over a wireless link. Note that the rfin
command always receives exactly 8 bytes of data, so exactly 8 data variables are
required within this command syntax.
Information:
The rfin command decodes and receives 8 bytes of data transmitter over a radio
link from a NKM2401 encoder or rfout command from another PICAXE chip.
This provides much more reliable radio communication than using serin
commands with low cost RF modules.
Note this command is blocking, no other commands will process whilst the rfin
command is waiting for RF data to be received. If a system that can process other
commands whilst waiting for data to be received is required, the NKM2401
should be used as a dedicated slave receiver alongside the PICAXE chip. This
allows the NKM2401 to receive and store the data at any time, so that the PICAXE
chip can then read the data as and when it is ready to do so.
The NKM2401 decoder can be used with any PICAXE chips, even those that do
not support the rfin command (as it uses the serin command). For futher details
about how to use the NKM2401 decoder please see the AXE213 datasheet at:

Rbeckett

You guys are killing me. First I order 18X, so you update and make 18M2, then I got to 40X and now you did it again. I cant keep up. Whats the next upgrade and I will wait till they come out to order, I hate having the last iteration of a chip and having to use documentation not designed for what I am using. But all kidding aside I still love Picaxe and BASIC, just hate being behind the buying curve.
Bob

lbenson

>What's the next upgrade?

Get Microchip to tell us, and then perhaps we'd have an idea.

Kudos to Rev-Ed for the good work of keeping us users behind the curve.

tjetson

Understanding Program Slots
Each X2 program slot can contain approximately 1000 lines of BASIC code.
The X2 range have up to 4 internal program slots, numbered 0 to 3. Each slot is completely independent of the
other slots. When the microcontroller is reset the program in slot 0 automatically starts running. The other
programs can then be started by using a ‘run’ command.
Was this internal slot capability added to the 20X2 in the re-release? I ask because I can't find the line that states the 20X2 doesn't contain it.

EDIT: This is from the new X2 document:
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxex2.pdf

westaust55

I meant I couldn't find the line within the document above.
The X2 briefing sheet does at the start also state:
Further details about each command and feature are available in the updated PICAXE Manuals (v7.0 or later).
and
The X2 range have up to 4 internal program slots
I treat the briefing sheets as addenda not as replacements thereby needing the user to read both documents (the addenda and the main manual)

Graham O

From the new section 2:
Receive 8 bytes of Manchester encoded radio data

snip

please see the AXE213 datasheet at:
Okay, so you've got my attention, but searching the Picaxe website for AXE213 returns no results. Is it still being written? Where is the section 2 referred to above?
Thanks

alband

You guys are killing me. First I order 18X, so you update and make 18M2, then I got to 40X and now you did it again. I cant keep up. Whats the next upgrade and I will wait till they come out to order, I hate having the last iteration of a chip and having to use documentation not designed for what I am using. But all kidding aside I still love Picaxe and BASIC, just hate being behind the buying curve.
Bob
Wouldn't mind buying a few 08M's would you? I can't wait for an 08M2 with capacitive touch and more ADC's ;)

papaof2

new 28X2/40X2

I've ordered one of each from Tech Supplies to ensure I get the new chips.

I've been breadboarding a prototype with mixed 5 volt PICAXEs and 5 & 3 volt peripherals (initially determined by what was readily available - either on hand or less than a week delivery). The new chips mean I can continue to test with the existing development board, then plug the multivolt PICAXE into a board where all peripherals use 3 volts - which means it's instantly a portable device with a 2600maH Li-Ion battery for power. The initial sample batch of double-sided boards (5 of them) was just ordered - the new PICAXEs may be here before the boards are.

Off to modify the design for single voltage operation and see if the board can be made just a little smaller...

John

Afterthought-

I only need one of each chip to verify that they operate as advertised (we have seen a few glitches in new designs). The £10 limit for standard shipping seems low - perhaps it should be twice that. A penny under the limit, goods + shipping are ~$23US ($15+ goods, $7+ shipping); a penny more and goods + shipping are ~$36US ($15+ goods, $20+ shipping). When the value limit makes the shipping more than the price of the goods for a very small incremental increase in value, the process deserves investigation.

John West

Papaof2:
Where are you getting the shipping info (GB to USA) from? I was looking around for it but didn't come across it. We even had a discussion about it in here last week but no one seemed to know the details.

John West

Thanks. That was the thread I was thinking about. I was hoping there was an online place to compare pricing vs shipping costs via the available shippers. Just trying to make live easier on myself.

I'd never heard before of the shipping price going up dramatically at a certain value of the items shipped. In the US the shipping charge is pretty much just based on weight and how soon you want it. As for insuring the parcel, that's usually an option.

Different nations, different companies, different policies.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
I'd never heard before of the shipping price going up dramatically at a certain value of the items shipped.
For Tech Supplies that's because, as Technical pointed out in the previously linked posts, the shipping used is not the same. The lower cost shipping option below the price break is not insured nor tracked, the higher cost shipping rate above the price break is.

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=151673&postcount=25

This is quite common. You'd probably send sheets of paper normal postage. If those sheets were bank notes you'd want those sent registered, signed for, insured and whatever. The cost for those services increases the shipping costs.

Last edited:

Adamey

So when are the surface mount 40X2's going to be available? I went to the store (techsupplies) and only see the 40X2 in the regular DIP package.

John West

In my case the question actually revolves around the number of 18M2 devices to purchase at a time from Tech Supplies. In deciding to buy either 4 or 6 (the numbers I was considering) I would straddle the crossover point where the shipping method and services changed and the total price went up significantly.

In all honesty, it makes no difference to me whether it's 4 pieces or 6 that might become lost in the mail. The difference in the investment in actual component price isn't much. And I wouldn't likely bother to go through the process of applying for a refund on 6 lost 18M2's in any event. Driving 6 miles out of my way (12 miles round trip) to the post office, and standing (sitting in a wheelchair) in line and filling out forms is something of a hassle for me. (Besides, I hate to sit there staring at the butt of the person in front of me.)

The result of all this discussion is that I'll either keep my Rev. Ed. orders under the limit for non insured/tracked shipping or I'll buy a whole lot of product at once. I'll avoid buying 6 chips at a time; I'll either buy 4 or I'll buy 25. That's easy enough to figure.

If I want a number of chips between those two I'll try Peter Anderson here in the States. If I want fewer than 4 chips I'll drive over to Sparkfun, pay the higher chip price and the $2 pick-up charge, and the nice receptionist will bring the chips down the stairs and right out to my car.

This has been a good lesson for me in navigating the world of international commerce, and I thank all those who have contributed info.

Last edited:

eclectic

Nothing to do with this topic,
but,
where else do you get free Technical support
at 5 to 9 on a Sunday evening?

Amazing.

e

papaof2

Nothing to do with this topic,
but,
where else do you get free Technical support
at 5 to 9 on a Sunday evening?

Amazing.

e
There are a few other places, but there's likely to be some unique "value" in the support agreement - my daughters call me for PC support ;-)

More recently, one wanted help diagnosing a non-operating dishwasher. The dishwasher problem was resolved to a bad pump solenoid (switches a valve on the pump from recirculate to drain). The replacement part was ~$30 - maybe 20% of the cost of a service call + part. This isn't the daughter with the engineering degree from Georgia Tech - it's the one with the Library and Information Systems degree.

John

John West

Why didn't she place a call to her sister with the engineering degree?

Probably figured good old dad would be more helpful. :)

On the subject of PICAXE tech support, I'm amazed and grateful to see both the amount and quality of the support here. I've been working in the electronics field all my life (and I'm not young,) yet I figure my knowledge level is on the low end of the scale around here except in certain specialized branches of the trade. There's just a darn good core of helpful professionals around this forum.

Last edited:

papaof2

Why didn't she place a call to her sister with the engineering degree?
She knew that Dad had been there and done that with all the readily repairable home appliances - from installing and repairing dishwashers to replacing the transmission in a top-loading clothes washer (interesting project, but I probably won't replace another one). The current washer is ~10 years old (no maintenance yet) and the dryer is ~13 years old (rollers and belt replaced several times - the complete kit is about $45, which is much cheaper than a service call not to mention a new dryer.

You've heard of a "shade tree mechanic" who works on his car in the yard? I might qualify as a "shade tree engineer" with knowledge gained by experience and research, not formal education. My engineer daughter has told me she wishes we were closer (instead of 600 mles apart) so I could give her a "back of an envelope" explanation for some of her job-related questions (when the kids were at home, there was nearly always some "back of an envelope" (or napkin) discussion about how things work when we ate - they had questions and I had or could find the answers.

I generally keep things until I can't get parts or I can no longer justify repairs. I did replace the 18 year old truck when my wife refused to ride in it - hard to resist the "You need a new truck" directive ;-)

John

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
I sent an email to techsupplies about buying 14M chips 3 days ago and never got a reply
We don't officially work weekends! Your email was sent 4.14pm Fri UK time and replied 10:17am Monday.
However as our support staff are also genuinely interested in user's problems/issues/successes we do often have a peek at weekends in our own (unpaid) time.

Last edited:

manie

We don't officially work weekends! Your email was sent 4.14pm Fri UK time and replied 10:17am Monday.
However as our support staff are also genuinely interested in user's problems/issues/successes we do often have a peek at weekends in our own (unpaid) time.
Atta boy Technical........ that should do it !.............

John West

I received a prompt reply from "T" without even writing him! You just can't beat that kind of support.
We PICAXE Forum users are spoiled rotten. We should each call Microsoft Customer Support once in awhile just to help keep things in perspective.