If you were just starting out...........????

pjl83

Hi Everyone,

Here's where I'm at - Soon my wife will be ordering my parts from tech supplies (Christmas pressie!) for me to play around and make my first robot. I'm basing it on the LMR Starter kit. The only differences are the motors and the position sensor. I'll be using the SRF005 sensor.

Here are my main components :

L293D motor driver
DIL 330 x 8 resistor array
9g Minature Servo
Ultrasonic Range Sensor
Red LED
PICAXE-28X1 Starter Pack (USB)
2 x Motors
A few led's
Various pins and connectors etc....

I may have to wait a few weeks before I actually have the parts, but even if I do get them quicker I don't want to just jump straight in and start connecting things without an understanding of what I am doing. I have downloaded the programme editor and have read through hundreds of posts about code and general questions and watched lots of videos about PICaxe robots.

I'd love to read through all of the manuals, but there are hundreds of pages and a lot of it wont make sense until I have something to actually play with. My question is, What would the more experienced people be reading up on or making notes on if they were in my position again (as you were once :p ).

I was thinking of printing out the "pin-outs" of the chips for easy reference and making notes of all of the more common commands (which ones??). Is there anything I can practice with the editor without being able to download to a chip and testing it?

Any general thoughts or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul

eclectic

Snip

I'd love to read through all of the manuals, but there are hundreds of pages and a lot of it wont make sense until I have something to actually play with. My question is, What would the more experienced people be reading up on or making notes on if they were in my position again (as you were once :p ).

Any general thoughts or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul
Buy yourself
08m protoboard
breadboard
jumpers
a few LED's
some 300 Ohm resistors

(Have a wander round the TechSupplies site.)

and GET circuit building :)

I'm sure that you'll get lots of other answers soon.

AND, use the SIMULATOR in PE.

e

Minifig666

What is your electronics experience? Basic curcit theory would be a good thing to start on, ohm's law, resistors and caps in series and parallel, understanding diagrams that sort of thing. This helped me a lot when I started, and still does!

John West

Read up on soldering electronic components. Then get an iron, some wire and solder and do a bit of practice. It's good prep for the real thing. The components and code are only part of the battle. Have fun.

pjl83

wow that was quick! Thanks.

My experience of electronics (of this type) is a little limited. I am an electrician by trade and am more than happy with a soldering iron. I understand circuit diagrams to a good level and have worked with schematics (control panel wiring) for most of my adult life. I know what most components are and what they can do, but designing and building circuit boards is something that I definitely need practice with.

I have VERY limited experience with BASIC programming. I used to play around a bit on the C64 and Amiga 600 years and years ago. I have also used ladder programming quite a bit at work, though never written anything from scratch, more fault finding and bridging signals or adjusting values for testing and commissioning. I am happy with the general logic, but I'll be pretty much learning from scratch with this.

What kind things could (or should) I try building on a breadboard without the PICaxe stuff?

Thanks again
Paul ;)

eclectic

snip

What kind things could (or should) I try building on a breadboard without the PICaxe stuff?

Thanks again
Paul ;)
Don't.
Buy a Picaxe chip. And the peripherals.

See post #2. :)
Or, especially, post #5.

(Aren't electricians rich?)

e

Rbeckett

If you dont have any or very much electronics experience or understanding of Ohms law try the All About Circuits forum and Ebook. If the book is followed pretty closely you will learn as much or more than a college grad in about 1/4 the time. The Picaxe chip has a poor reputation on that forum due to percieved expense and limited speed but that aside they do have an excelent book for basic electronics info. I have been using that info and forum to help me build my device and solve the circuit issues I am having. The Picaxe is just fine for my application and I dont need to learn C++ to make it happen. Worth a look anyway..
Bob

John West

eclectic has it right. A PICAXE 08M is about $3 US. Add a thermistor and a photo-resistor and a couple of resistors and capacitors and cut off an old serial cable and wire up a complete PICAXE project for $10 or so. Lots to learn from an 08M and a few cheap parts before getting into full-fledged robotics.

It's a smart way to move into the PICAXE game without getting too frustrated or letting out the magic smoke.

pjl83

(Aren't electricians rich?)
Not this one! :D

eclectic has it right. A PICAXE 08M is about $3 US. Add a thermistor and a photo-resistor and a couple of resistors and capacitors and cut off an old serial cable and wire up a complete PICAXE project for $10 or so. Lots to learn from an 08M and a few cheap parts before getting into full-fledged robotics.

It's a smart way to move into the PICAXE game without getting too frustrated or letting out the magic smoke.
Where could I find a diagram for such a circuit? It sounds like a good idea to me. The only problem I see is that I have a lap-top with no serial input so I'd need to have a USB converter to make it work. It would be good to rig up a board with a couple of switches and led's for testing with.

cdngunner

I'm an electrician too but do to the down turn in the economy here I haven''t had a full time job in about three years.

I'm new to this too and I don't have much cash either but I managed to buy...

- a 28x2
- a 18 x
- some 18m2
- a 28 pin project board
- a picaxe data logger and mem expansion
- a 18 pin project board
- usb cable
- gyro
- accelerometer

it gets addictive.......

The other thing you may want is a battery pack or regulators that will keep the current down. The magic smoke may be free, but trust me, you don't want it

lbenson

A good place to start on a breadboard is with Manual 3 (available under "Help" in the program editor). If you work through the 20 or so circuits there, you will gain a very good elementary understanding of what the picaxe can do. Get at least 2 08Ms. For me, the next step up is the 20X2--it has the power of the X2 commands in a small form factor which is well suited to breadboards.

I'm with Manuka, I tend to use a lot of breadboards, and almost never tear one down. I buy the ones which are 60 rows long, and cut them with a band saw or hacksaw into three, or for rare bigger projects, 2 pieces. Breadboard jumper wire assortments like these are very helpful (but I'm guessing you aren't in the U.S.):

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/JW-350/350-PIECE-JUMPER-WIRE-ASSORTMENT//1.html

Some have problems with the two-resistor download circuit on a breadboard, but I'd hazzard a guess that you are good at debugging problems like that. You will need a usb-to-serial cable. The tech supplies ones are guaranteed to work.

fritz42_male

I recommend the purchase of this book (I had edition 1 which helped me a lot)together with the following

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Customizing-Microcontroller-Programmable-Controllers/dp/0071745548/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/178-7943850-2133856

08M Starter kit which includes USB cable:

http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE003U

2 x 08M chips:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE007M

2 x 08M Protoboards:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE021

A breadboard and wire link kit, 3xAA battery boxes, some 10K pots, 330 Ohm resistors, LEDs, switches, Thermistors, LDRs, PIR sensors and so on.

If you are thinking about robots/animatronics also get a couple of cheap servos off eBay. I have a little guide on turning an 08 protoboard into a simple servo controller if you want it (it can do other thingsa as well - I have it driving a fogger as a delay/duration timer):

http://www.ipprofessional.com.au/VLC Servo Controller.pdf

About 30-40 quid will get you a lot of stuff. I have to warn you though - Picaxes are VERY addictive!

Your Commodore Basic experiences are similar to mine and you should have no trouble making the transition.

As cdngunner said - magic smoke is free but I have yet to get any (pure luck of course)

Last edited:

Rickharris

Hi, There are a number of posts here re starting out and schools starting up. To begine, with the simulator if you like, you only need a few commands to make your robot work:

High
Low
If Then
Goto
Gosub
Wait pause
For next
readadc

Armed with these you can do most anything essential you need. the rest of the commands are there when you need to extend your ability.

Flashing a few LEDs (outputs) reading a few inputs will soon get you going.

Code:
Start:
high 1
wait 2
low 1
wait 1
check:
if pin3=0 then  check
goto start
is a nice start once you work out what it is doing. Even more impressive for the Missus with real LEDs.

Last edited:

manuka

Paul: 18M2s, protoboards & USB adapters -what kind of talk is this ?! These guys are way off target, as a wife who buys electronic Xmas presents 6 weeks in advance sounds like magic to me. I'll start the bidding for her with a D9 fitted laptop, & even throw in free p&p if she can wrangle code.

darb1972

Or, it's Christmas.
Imagine being a ten year-old,
with financial and intellectual empowerment.

This:
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE091U

Ec

PS. Hmm?, I'm still thinking about my first paragraph.
Many a true word spoken ....
(and not just me. :))
I totally agree. I recently purchased an AXE091 Prototype Board and it was the best thing I ever did. You can knock together all manner of projects quickly and efficiently. It is also very reliable for programming when used with the correct lead.

I would start with this project board, some 08Ms and maybe grab a 20X2 and/or 28X2. The AXE091 comes with an 18M2. This should make for a good start.

darb.

John West

Not this one! :D

Where could I find a diagram for such a circuit? It sounds like a good idea to me. The only problem I see is that I have a lap-top with no serial input so I'd need to have a USB converter to make it work. It would be good to rig up a board with a couple of switches and led's for testing with.
Download the PICAXE Editor (from this site) and install it on a PC. Then start it up and click on HELP on the top bar of the screen. There you will find the three PICAXE manuals.

Manual one on getting started will show you how to hook everything up and get started with the code. Manual two lists all of the BASIC commands and their implementation. Manual three shows you how to hook up simple sensors and output devices and has sample code for reading sensors and outputting to control devices.

John West

I actually prefer building everything from scratch using solder-pad proto-board. But I had a lot of years of electronics experience under my belt before I ever got into the PICAXE.

Designing and constructing circuits from start to finish is just plain fun. The code gets a bit tricky, but that's part of the challenge and the learning experience.

pjl83

A big thank-you to Tech-Supplies!

Around 26 hours between placing the order and the postman knocking on the door with a big bag of toys! ;):D:cool:

I am now the excited owner of -

28x1 Starter Pack
A couple of 08 Proto Boards
2 servos
Motor Driver chips
Ultrasonic Range Sensor
Led's
Lots of pins/jumpers/chips and bits and pieces.

Now's the time to go away and do lots of reading before getting stuck into making things move!

Thanks for all the replies ;)
Paul

pjl83

:D:p

If radio stations and shops want to start playing Christmas songs in November then surely I am more than entitled to open my presents! ;)

inglewoodpete

I can imagine your disappointment on Christmas morning when you only find socks or (presumably men's) underwear under the tree!

Just don't blame me:)

BeanieBots

IP, good engineering practice includes tidying up after experimenting.
That way, 'things' don't get found laying around the house!

Dippy

IP. when you say "men's underwear", do you mean wrapped up or lying in a crumpled heap and possibly still warm?
If the latter then it's time to start worrying and maybe call the police !

eclectic

@Paul.
I'm assuming that you've received an AXE020 board.
It might help if you soldered a row of
turned pin sockets adjacent to the chip.
This will allow direct connection to the
pins, rather than via the ULN2803.

e

Attachments

pjl83

@Paul.
I'm assuming that you've received an AXE020 board.
It might help if you soldered a row of
turned pin sockets adjacent to the chip.
This will allow direct connection to the
pins, rather than via the ULN2803.

e
Thanks for the pointer. I did order a few rows of pins for doing the exact thing you suggested. I based my list on the LMR starter kit that included some (luckily).

Any tips for removing the red barrier stuff on the bottom of the board. I assume its protection from some kind of solder dipping?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
If it's the same stuff I'm thinking of, the 'red barrier stuff' usually just peels off once you've got it slightly lifted away from the board at an edge. It may need a bit of a tug as it holds into holes on the board.