Free Samples of Electronics parts

vshortt

Hi all, does anyone else have experiences getting free samples? I konw there are several places on the 'net that have running lists of places that you can get free samples of semiconductors and stuff. thought I would share my results getting some free samples.

Luckily, I have a legitimate business I can order free samples with, but most of the companies I worked with didn't ask any questions whatsoever! As long as the sample request part count is low, you should be able to "try out" parts from most of these vendors:

I would say this in regards to samples: don't order any samples you don't really need. Abuse of the sample offerings from these companies will cause them to STOP sending samples. There are many many companies out there that I used to be able to order samples from and can no longer for this very reason. Also, don't be greedy... don't ask for 50 samples of anything - no matter how inexpensive the part may be. ask for a couple of them. If you like 'em go buy some!!

(List removed at the request of another member)

Last edited:

chigley

I've received a total of 10 free ICs from Maxim, in two orders of 5 ICs each. No questions asked and incredibly fast delivery!

SAborn

It is a great system that many of us use with free samples, but beware that many chips only come in smd packages.
We dont always get a choice in free samples so check the package style before ordering, and only order what packages you are able to work with.

A few bad eggs can stuff it for all, so respect the service and only request what you need and chips you able to work with.

Its easy to click an chips and to only find they are 1/4 the size of a match head on arrival.

Do your research on the package before you order and only order what you need.

Respect the service and the others that use it.

Dippy

I'm glad you said that SABorn. It really annoys me when people grab freebies for the simple reason that they are going gratis.
Ruins it for people who actually need samples.

And to pre-empt a certain question; sometimes samples are available months before retail release.

I notice certain manufs (e.g. Microchip) are getting a little more fussy, thank goodness.

cactusface

Freebies...

Hi Folks,
Well I thought I was cleaver getting the odd sample here and there!! Yes Maxim are good, just discovered Vishay, got some Photo-Tansistors I need. But as SAborn says don't lets over do it, one day some of these companies may wake up and we could all loose out on a good thing! Likewise check the package details, I no longer have the eyes or steady hands for soldering SMT stuff.

Regards
Mel.

westaust55

Likewise check the package details, I no longer have the eyes or steady hands for soldering SMT stuff.

Regards
Mel.
Very true.
With the aid of a magnifying glass SOIC and TSOC formats are, for me, still possible.

But I recently ordered some chips supposedly in TSOC6 format but what arrived was TDFN which is about quarter the size. Luckily, the seller has agreed to refund my money for those chips.

While I have obtained a few free samples, I also buy quite a few chips as well.
Maxim have me (I used my work email address) and a few local friends down as resellers and blocked all access to free samples.

cactusface

Freebies..

Hi Dippy,
Yes LOSE is what I ment! I used to be very PER-DAN-TICK too! I still am at work as stock control and movement is my job (OK, I am a warehouse worker). Perhaps I was thinking of loose women?
Never managed to get anything from Texas inst and I don't think I can add to the list, talking of work here come more.......
Bye folks.
Mel.

westaust55

I still am at work as stock control and movement is my job (OK, I am a warehouse worker). Perhaps I was thinking of loose women?
trust that is warehouse and not whorehouse where you work. :D

Reminded of a draftsman many years ago who frequently spelt warehouse as wharehouse on drawings - ever so close . :eek:

KTarke

Free samples are a nice way to get ONE chip to test for free, especially if it not available in local stores... (and is ridiculous to order ONE from the other side of globe)

However, my personal opinion is , that it raises bad taste in my mouth, when I hear that electronics hobbyists order samples JUST TO GET THE PARTS FREE!
That kind of operation can dry the source. A few chips does not cost much for a big company, but the handling of orders does!
Getting samples, WHEN it is hard to get ONE chip in another way, is a fine act of generosity (for hobbyists, that are not likely to buy more ever) ,and very useful asset to those, who want to test (and may buy more later, that is the coal of the manufacturer)
If used wrongly, the system will be shut down/diminished.

In Finland ,where I live, it is too often heard, that people order samples only not to pay... (same parts are easily available locally).
In that case, I do express my disspice.

Maxim has always been generous with samples. (I have wondered) why They send (a lot) samples to (clearly hobbyists) and many times to same person...

I have also seen, that some companies try to evaluate, who is ordering samples. Result: hobbyist may get no, or old (old model,old fw) parts. A business (=potential customer...) gets faster/more/newer parts.

So, when You order samples, order just a few (at one time) ,and explain something of the use (If the manufacturer gets a expression, You just try it out now, and MAY buy more later, You are more likely to get the parts. )

SAborn

As it appears that most of us respect the system and have a gut feeling this sort of public posting of a list will lead to abuse by a few, that will effect a greater amount of those who do do the right thing.

I for one would like to see the list removed from the forum.

This is not anything against the member who thoughtfully posted the list, but more to stop the fools from abusing it.

If anyone feels the same please add to the vote of removing the list.

The discussion can stay, just loose where to get the milk and cookies.

vshortt

My apologies.

Moderators, feel free to remove the list since I can't.

Just thought it would be helpful for people to see where I've been successfull and where I've not.

I agree that abuse of the system will lead to it's demise.

and I agree that you have to be forthright and upfront with the companies when ordering - Giving them a "pie in the sky" projected purchase of 50,000 units just isn't realistic. I am sure that companies like Maxxim realize that they are sending parts to hobbyists on occasion. I also think they are smart enough to realize that a hobbyist may very well have his hands in the industry in some way and that sending him a small sample for his own use may very well bring their company name up in the future as a place to purchase large volumes for a commercial project.

Most of the people I know that tinker in electronics on the side also have link to the commercial side of electronics in some way. Companies that are generous when it comes to sending a chip or two out to a hobbyist reap the benefits in an indirect way.

I can tell you that based on my past experiences with Maxxim, Vishay and TI, I have recommended their parts to the company I work for - that recommendation has led to orders in the tens of thousands of items. - all because they were willing to ship a chip or two to a hobbyist - There's no real way to Maxxim to measure this hobbyist-to-commerical link, but I am sure they realize it exists.

Ordering a sample in good faith is a great way to introduce parts to their potential consumers. Ordering 50 "samples"of a N2222 transistor or a 7805 regulator - well - that's just abusing the system (and probably won't get the go-ahead from the manufacturer anyway). those parts are cheap, simple and readily available to most locally - or at worst through a parts house online (digikey, mouser, etc..) Part of what these companies do is they stretch out the delivery time of a sample. If a hobbyist is needing a part to complete a project right now, he's less likely to sit around for 3-5 weeks waiting for something to arrive when you can order it from digikey or mouser and have it in a few days. The other thing a lot of them do is use the sample request as an oppotunity for a sales pitch, which is fine in my book. It's really easy for these guys to "sniff out" the hobbyist from a company via E-mail or a phone call.

So, in all, I would say go ahead and request a sample, but be honest with the company you are requesting it from. I am in NO WAY condoning pulling a "fast one" to get free stuff. At the same time, word of mouth about these companies and their generosity with samples is worthy of a post. Hobbyists new and old can benefit from this post. and lets face it, the "electronics tinkering" hobbyist group is really pretty small in the grand scheme of things. In my view, It takes a person of above average intelligence to tinker successfully with electronics components. most people wouldn't' have the patience for the hobby, we're a pretty small, pretty sharp group!!! Sure, we all fry parts on occasion - thats part of the process, but having a good grasp on electronic theory, coding theory, a coding language, and in most cases fairly complex mathematical theory isn't something that and average person has, not to mention soldering skills, PCB making skills etc... It takes a number of talents all working together to successfully tinker in this hobby.

Last edited:

SAborn

Vshortt,

I hope you dont see my comment, as i feel you have done something wrong.

It was very kind of you to post the list in the best interest of all of us, But there is many not as respectful to the system as we would like.

They are the ones who will do wrong. Not you mate.

vshortt

Vshortt,

I hope you dont see my comment, as i feel you have done something wrong.

It was very kind of you to post the list in the best interest of all of us, But there is many not as respectful to the system as we would like.

They are the ones who will do wrong. Not you mate.
No, I don't see it like that at all, and I agree and appreciate your comment fully! :)

Cheers!

eclectic

My apologies.

You can if you wish to.

Use the edit button.

Ec

P.S. I'm neutral on this topic.
I've never requested a sample, but,
I can see the value for genuine constructors.

KTarke

My intention was NOT to criticise the thread-starter, but the one's using the system wrongly!

I HAVE ordered samples, but rather buy (if available with considerable effort.)

If I recall right, someone already asked PICAXE samples on the forum...
And Picaxe is quite easily reachable around the world.

During the years, quite many chips has been bought "in vain", because my plans haven't succeeded. But do not pity that.
And "times have changed", today it it much more easier to get (buy!) chips from around the world (for example from US to Finland), that was more an effort ten years ago and earlier.

Is removing the list censorship ? Does the list make "responsible citizens" to use falsely the opportunity to have samples? (not likely)
I think ,that the risen ,strong, conversation has done what there is to be done...
The list can be found elsewhere in the Internet, if someone wants to act irresponsibly.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Just click the Edit button below the post.

A compromise to removal may be to leave a list of companies and an ackowledgement of their generosity in providing parts.

We can edit / remove posts if you are having difficulties.

Andrew Cowan

Hippy, I'm designing the next iphone model for apple - can you send me fifteen sample 20X2s? If you do, I'll be ordering about 100,000 per month for the next few years. thanks.

lbenson

Only 100K?

>I'm designing the next iphone model for apple - can you send me fifteen sample 20X2s?
>If you do, I'll be ordering about 100,000 per month for the next few years.

Clearly bogus: The first iphone took 73 days to cross the million sales mark, so more on the order of 400,000 per month.

cactusface

Freebies

Hi Westy,
I am a pacifist and don't like wars of any kind, well not quite true, I'm quite interested in the mechanics and the machinery used 70 years ago...

most people wouldn't' have the patience for the hobby, we're a pretty small, pretty sharp group!!! Sure, we all fry parts on occasion - thats part of the process, but having a good grasp on electronic theory, coding theory, a coding language, and in most cases fairly complex mathematical theory isn't something that and average person has, not to mention soldering skills, PCB making skills etc... It takes a number of talents all working together to successfully tinker in this hobby.
This seems very true, I have always worked with my hands, and regret getting into the retail trade (it's true they only think of money and their bonus!) I can see some people taking advantage and just ordering samples for the sake of it, even asking for things they have no immediate use for!! Perhaps the list should be removed.
Regards all.
Mel.

vshortt

List has been removed. Didn't realize that I could edit a post after someone else had commented on it. Many boards won't let you do that.

Taken care of.

again, my apoligies if I've upset anyone with the post. I'm glad that it's sparked a good conversation in regards to the electronic hobbyist community.

I can definatley say tha I've truly learned a lot fromn this forum there are a bunch of great people on this forum. I have yet to post an issue and not get a good response to how to troubleshoot it.

I hope that eventually, I will have enough knowledge to start posting to help to other members as well, but I don't want to jump out there with my limited knowledge only to be wrong and send someone off on a wild good chase.

If anyone posts issues on how to interface an ELM chip to a picaxe, I will be all over that!

teddy7

Thanks! MAXIM/SEMI

List has been removed. Didn't realize that I could edit a post after someone else had commented on it. Many boards won't let you do that.

Taken care of.

again, my apoligies if I've upset anyone with the post. I'm glad that it's sparked a good conversation in regards to the electronic hobbyist community.

I can definatley say tha I've truly learned a lot fromn this forum there are a bunch of great people on this forum. I have yet to post an issue and not get a good response to how to troubleshoot it.

I hope that eventually, I will have enough knowledge to start posting to help to other members as well, but I don't want to jump out there with my limited knowledge only to be wrong and send someone off on a wild good chase.

If anyone posts issues on how to interface an ELM chip to a picaxe, I will be all over that!

I receive an email every time MAXIM (or DALLAS-SEMI) has new
components. If a component has some meaningful info to me, I
have MAXIM send me a "sample". I have a shoebox stuffed with
MAXIM/DS "samples". There are also many parts that have been
around for years, and one can still get "samples" of those also.

It's a lot of fun working with a budding 'NEW' component.
ALL praise "MAXIM" ... :cool: