Where to go to get cheap/unique parts

manuka

I'm suprised no one has mentioned e-junk/e-waste rescues! You just need to put up a free advert at your local noticeboard for all manner of electronic gear to be eagerly dropped off at your gate. Sure- you'll need storage for it (& a supportive family!)

Although long past this myself,over past decades I well recall such approaches being even quite lucrative. Much donated gear will still be working, or just needing minor attention, meaning there's even scope for skinflints to make a few $$ reselling at the same time. Perhaps the most regular throw out reason results from weary NiCd/NiMH packs/lost chargers/obsolete fittings etc- youngsters able to wrangle a soldering iron/DMM/hot melt glue gun etc can make all manner of repair$!

Minifig666

Yeah, I have always wanted to do this but my mum says "No, you already have too much junk" (Refering to my classic games collection)

sbscott

manuka mentioned:

"I'm suprised no one has mentioned e-junk/e-waste rescues! You just need to put up a free advert at your local noticeboard for all manner of electronic gear to be eagerly dropped off at your gate. Sure- you'll need storage for it (& a supportive family!)"

Which gate are we talking about....your gate in NZ or mine in Colorado:)

manuka

In fact current booming metal prices mean even boring insulated copper wiring may turn you US$2 a kg. I dropped off some of my own surplus wire collection rececently for >US$100 !

elios

http://acronum.com/
^^ My website

I export kiwipatch boards globally, except to Australia as I already have a Reseller/Distributor there.

And no, freight is not something rediculous like UPS or Fedex, it is just standard NZ post at under $15 to anywhere in the world (depending on how much can be crammed into a satchel)... :cool:

I'm also curious to who has used a Kiwi Patch Board before.. I use them by the dozen. :p

westaust55

http://acronum.com/
^^ My website
:
:
I'm also curious to who has used a Kiwi Patch Board before.. I use them by the dozen. :p
Sorry elios, I should have had you on my list

deviating form original thread topic but . . . .

I have used a couple of KPB's.

Made up a datalogger with an 18X, one EEPROM and a DS1307.
can be used as a straight data logger for general use, or a
second KPB can be mounted/plugged on top with a whole set of weather related sensors.

Have recently emailed Andrew H. in NZ with a suggestion for a Version 2 based on many PICAXE related external modules I make using other proto boards.

elios

Good ol' Andrew. Im gonna be meeting him again in two weeks.. he helps to teach me and some friends electronics.

He actually got me into the boards about 2 years ago when the first big print run was made.

Sorry a bit o/t..,

Dippy

Does this mean Westy is designing some PICAXE-uino Shields?

(Why "shield" btw. What a dumb choice of word... that has definitely caught on :) ).

westaust55

Does this mean Westy is designing some PICAXE-uino Shields?

(Why "shield" btw. What a dumb choice of word... that has definitely caught on :) ).
No !

99% of my projects involve a single board in a small PVC box which conenct to by my main PICAXE box via a 15-pin D-type connector as my standad means of connection for specific "projects" (be they a compass, demo servo module, stepper motor modules etc).

Concur on the term "shield", it suggests a form of protection rather than circuit extension/expansion

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The *-uino is a world unto itself when it comes to terminology though each to their own and the terminology has become a de-facto language which their community has embraced.

The notion of 'shield' isn't really applicable to PICAXE as that rests on the physical layout of the processor boards and PICAXE doesn't fit the same mould, particularly as they are often sold and used as standalone chips and in user specific boards. There is no 'universal standard' for PICAXE usage.

Connecting PICAXE stuff together and choosing a connector is always a matter of debate, there's nothing which will satisfy everyone, connectors always possible to confuse with some other purpose. I like westaust55's 15-way D idea as they're not widely used except for PC game connectors and less so these days, I had also thought about those. I'm considering SCART sockets and flat SCART cable as quite elegant. Can get 'Poundland' multi-SCART units and unsolder which makes them a cheap source.

I've usually used screw-terminals as a quick and easy means of wiring boards up and changing them about though I'm now tending towards using turned pin sockets and just linking with solid core wires since having an AXE091 as that's even easier, and cheaper.

westaust55

Off topic, but.....

I like westaust55's 15-way D idea as they're not widely used except for PC game connectors and less so these days, I had also thought about those.
for me at least the 15 pin D-connector (the 2 row version not the 3 row VGA type) works well and is readily available in electronics shops.

Within the main "experimenters box, I have items such LDC module, keypad modules, piezo speaker, EEPROMs, SPE030, DS1338 RTC, LED bargraph, etc
plus a number of other digital and analog devices (such as pot, DS18B20, LDR, hall effect sensor, IR LED, etc).

Through the 15 way conenctor using an X1 PICAXE chip, I take +5V (2pins), 0V (2-pins), i2c comms, 1 ADC input, 3 digital input and 5 digital output.
AN X2 part would be even more versatile.

To date the above format has proved to be adequate as a basis for my "expansion" modules.

For other work and for prelim testing it is typically back to a breadboard and often an 18X or 08M.

Last edited:

sid

I mostly buy all my bits 'n' pieces from ebay now.
The chaps in Hong Kong are really cheap and provide excellent service.

techElder

So, I see no mention of where this compiled list ended up on the forum.

My latest favorite vendor is http://www.nkcelectronics.com/

Shipping parts by the US Postal Service is cheaper. I got my parts in 4 or 5 days.

NKC electronics
PO BOX 266421
Weston, FL 33326
USA

Phone: 1 888 451 7652 (messaging service. You can leave us a message, but we reply better to email messages, usually within the hour).
orders@nkcelectronics.com

marcos.placona

Although not living in Belgium anymore (thank God!), that's the only place I could actually find components when needed.

http://www.cotubex.be/

They are bloody expensive (as much as Maplins here in the UK), but they'll be pretty handy when you need that missing capacitor on a Saturday afternoon ;)

Might be helpful for someone desperate for components.

marcos.placona

I got distracted. Anyone want to finish it off?

Andrew
We should make it a google doc, and make it collaborative. I'd be up for it. if you send it in, I'll publish it on Google Docs and share with whoever wants to collaborate.

This way we can make sure it's always kept up-to-date.

marcos.placona

Here's the link to the list compiled by Andrew Cowan. As previously mentioned, I'll be adding the remaining data to it, but for now, you can have a preview of the data here

If anyone would like to have permissions to edit the spreadsheet, please DM me, and I'll grant you permission.

You need to have a google account though.

Cheers

marcos.placona

** Update **

The list has been updated up to post #35

In some places I put N/U, which means "needs updating". in this specific cases, I wasn't able to find sufficient information to add to the spreadsheet.

It can still be found at the same place.

Dippy

Good list.
BUT, it keeps putting a pop-up "New! Sharing just got easier".
AND the bl**dy thing won't go away (I've clicked everything).So sharing just got painful.
Is this my Broswer (IE8) going mental or a donkey webpage?

marcos.placona

Good list.
BUT, it keeps putting a pop-up "New! Sharing just got easier".
AND the bl**dy thing won't go away (I've clicked everything).So sharing just got painful.
Is this my Broswer (IE8) going mental or a donkey webpage?
It showed it once for me, but went away as soon as I clicked the "x" on it. I tried it on IE8 using a different users (other than admin) to make sure it would have the same behaviour

Try clearing your cache and it **should** go away ;)

boriz

Put that site into the restricted sites list (IE options). Set the default behavior for restricted sites to javascript off, no activex etc.

Or just set your global security to high when visiting untested sites.

marcos.placona

Glad it helped. Remember though.. this is a WIP list, so things might change on it. if anybody here would like to help building the list, I'd gladly add them to the list of editors. Also, if you find anything there that doesn't have information, os has inaccurate data, please drop me a line.

Cheers