Where to go to get cheap/unique parts

John West

JB Saunders - Boulder Colorado. A surplus store. I get parts from them in person - but they do have a web page for some of their more exotic stuff.

http://jbsaundersco.com/

As for exotic - I don't know what some of the stuff I get even is. :D

Last edited:

geezer88

MOSFETs for free

I've been scavenging MOS P channel transistors from defunct lion laptop batteries. They usually have 3 or 4 transistors used as shunts to balance the charging of the individual cell. The ones I've found have on resistance of less than 50 milliohms and current capability of several amps. Because they are in surface mount packages, they are not so easy to use. A heat gun gets them off the boards, and then I solder wires to the tiny leads. The ones I've salvaged came in eight lead packages with leads on a little over 1 mm centers. One lead is the gate. I bend this lead out a bit to solder on a new, longer lead. The other three leads on the gate side all go to the source. It is pretty easy to solder a lead to all three at once. After all, how hard can it be to solder a short? The other side of the package is four leads for the drain. Again, just short them all together and to a small wire of your choosing.

So far I've used five of them for various projects, and they are all surviving fine. I've attached pdfs of the two kinds I found.

tom

Attachments