PicAxe Labels...

cactusface

Hi,
I'v seen Picaxe labels mentioned a few times, these are the printable ones, and I understand that some members have modified them, which look very pretty but, how practical are they.

Would it not be better if the title was a bit smaller, then around the side/edge we could have pin labels, yes they would be very basic, but it would save searching for the data sheet every time you make a connection.
ie. 18X

IN2
SEROUT
SERIN
RESET
0V
OUT0
OUT1
etc, etc. ;)

Cactus..

eclectic

I haven't got microscope vision. :)

So, how about printing out

Manual 1, pages 8 and 9.

Put them back-to-back.

Then laminate them.
(Or, in a clear A4 wallet).

e

manuka

Well-& I'm a labelling fanatic-how good is your vision?! Most PICAXE chips are really much too small for further viewable information. There are so many commands, with most available at multiple pins, that it'd make no sense to specify SEROUT at just one pin.

IMHO key labelling benefits include showing that the chip is a PICAXE,rather than a 555/raw PIC/logic IC etc, and that it's orientated correctly.Back in the pre YouTube era of ~2004 I rustled up a 08M laminated crib sheet that helped newbies with command features. Of course the editor shows these nicely however-you do know about F1 ?
Stan.

Andrew Cowan

I sometimes put a SI or SO (serial input, serial output) on PCBs - perhaps this idea could be used if big abbreviations were used.

A

manuka

Well done- but the old 08M pin/leg confusion will no doubt arise. Unlabelled terminals may well be preferable?

goom

Labels with pin functions

Here's the best that I can do with labels showing pin functions.
I hope that it is some use to someone since it was surprisingly difficult and time consuming.
Personally, I prefer leg numbering since I label schematics that way, and makes breadboarding easier.

Attachments

westaust55

Hi goom,

looks great when magnified but unfortunately getting too small for my naked :eek: vision.
Potentially should be easier for the younger set to see without visual aids.

goom

We should ask Technical to make bigger chips. 0.5" pin spacing would extend the time before failing eyesight makes it difficult or impossible.
Must dig out my 5W resistors and TO3 transistors. Do 100pF capacitors come in 1/2" metal can packages?

Nice contribution GOOM

Very nice job :)
I printed them and the labels fit very well on the chips.
And to put things in perspective, I am 67 years old. Had eye surgery twice (one to repair a detached retina) and STILL can see the numbers on the labels using the same lenses I use to solder components.

cactusface

Well done Goom

Hi,
Well I did'ent expect so many replies, in fact it was just an Idea that I did'ent give too much thought to!! Perhaps I should have? Goom's labels look quite good, will have to print them out and give it a try.

I use a clip on mag glass when soldering and building, had specks since I was a small boy, now I'm 62, and like everything else my eyes done work like they used too.
Thanks and regards to all.
Cactus.