SRF005 Ultra Sonic - How good with a furry target ?

Buzby

I know ultrasonics are good at detecting hard surfaces, but has anyone any experience of using the SRF005 measuring distance to a furry object, like an animal's coat ?

BeanieBots

Using SRF08 (I2C version of SRF05).

Ok up to ~6m on soft curtains.
Still OK at 2.5m range on shag-pile carpet. (height of room)

womai

Somebody trying to build a Nesbit detector? (attention - insider joke :)

(do a forum search to find out why!)

Wolfgang

Buzby

Thanks all.

I knew I'd get some sensible, and not so sensible, replies !. ( You know who I mean. )

One more question.

If you try measuring the distance to a dog, does the dog go bananas because it can hear the ultrasound ?.

Cheers,

Buzby.

slurp

If you try measuring the distance to a dog, does the dog go bananas because it can hear the ultrasound ?
Crikey, not tried that. It might be a "good" visual indication that you're on target but is it the best way to interact with a dog?

I'd guess the power of the signal and dogs temprament might affect just how bananas it actually goes - this might change over time too. The SRF005 works at 40KHz and that's well within most dogs hearing range, various sources reference the upper limits between 45KHz to 65Khz.

Best regards,
Colin

Dippy

I would have thought that the frequency (as in 'how often') you pulse the U/S would have a bearing too.

womai

The pulse is very short, so chances are all the dog hears is a short click rather than a "siren sound". So unless you repeat that click 100 times per second, that won't be too annoying.

Wolfgang

Buzby

A late update to this thread.

Tried the basic SRF005 code from the manual, and pointed the breadboarded gadget our 9 year old Toller.

She just gave me that 'What's he upto now ?' look, then went back to lying in front of the fire.

So, from my limited testing, it looks like I can measure the distance to a dog, and the dog is not bothered by the ultrasound.

It is unlikely that this information is of any great use, but I'm posting it just in case anybody else is contemplating building a dog distance detector.