Join Date(for the forums)...

Grogster

Apparently, I joined these forums 4 years before I was born.
The join date is listed as 1970, but I was not born until 1974...

Now, I know I like the PICAXE and these forums, but I don't remember joining before I was actually conceived...
;)

Am I the only one having time-travel problems with this?(rhetorical)

Texy

At some point in the past, they re-hashed the forums and as a side effect those current forum members had their join date reset for some reason.
Those that have joined since, such as myself, have a valid join date.

Texy

Grogster

At some point in the past, they re-hashed the forums and as a side effect those current forum members had their join date reset for some reason.
Those that have joined since, such as myself, have a valid join date.

Texy
SO YOU DO!!!
:)
Had not noticed...
Well spotted.

Nice to think that I am still 4 years younger then I thought.
;)

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The old forum did not have join dates, so when we moved to the vBulletin structure anyone who was already a member didn't have a join date and so simply got given the date that 'Linux Time' started in 1970!

tiscando

<b>@quot;</b> <a href="">not connected<a>

And also, the older forum used HTML as it's rich text body, rather than vB's code.

Tim036

The old forum did not have join dates, so when we moved to the vBulletin structure anyone who was already a member didn't have a join date and so simply got given the date that 'Linux Time' started in 1970!
Linux ? or does Unix have the same start time ?

Tim

QuIcK

think he meant unix ^^
dont think linux was around back then. unix start was 17 years before i was born :D. thats a wierd thought.
another terrible one that occured last year is: the freshers at uni (ie, just outta school, turned 18 etc) are all 90's children. it was scary when i realised that!

westaust55

Join date and early IC's

PICAXE in the 1970? Even 555's were in development and not released until 1971 :p:p:p
Seem to recall I was already using some TTL chips by 1970 on the hobby scene - had to send away for them. Recollection that the story was that logic IC's were instrumental in the "1960's Space Race".

The first micro computer set ICs were already available by 1971.
4001, 4002, 4003 and 4004 were Intel forerunners to the 8080 and present day.
I was using PDP-11 computers in 1972 at uni.

Electronics Australia magazine had their first build your own mico computer (the Educ-8) in a 13 part series starting in Aug 1974. It was(is) an 8-bit machine with 256 bytes of memory, all constructed using 7400 series TTL.

Attachments

manuka

WestAust55 looks strong on technical nostalgia as well- it' sobering to reflect the 08M has more clout than that project. But never mind TTL & the PDP-11 - I recall wrestling with paper tape/punch cards and a mid 60s PDP-8 (that used DTL).

Re LINUX/UNIX. It's correctly UNIX (which evolved 1969), with a starting time taken as midnight UTC Jan 1st 1970. I recall both that era & even the '69/'70 NY Eve particularly well in fact! LINUX is of course a child of the '90s. Stan

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I would imagine soon after the first Inuit 'peeled' a seal while thinking "it's a bit cold here" !

Tim036

Seem to recall I was already using some TTL chips by 1970 on the hobby scene - had to send away for them. Recollection that the story was that logic IC's were instrumental in the "1960's Space Race".

The first micro computer set ICs were already available by 1971.
4001, 4002, 4003 and 4004 were Intel forerunners to the 8080 and present day.
I was using PDP-11 computers in 1972 at uni.

Electronics Australia magazine had their first build your own mico computer (the Educ-8) in a 13 part series starting in Aug 1974. It was(is) an 8-bit machine with 256 bytes of memory, all constructed using 7400 series TTL.
UK had the WB-1 designed by Mike Lord at about the same time using 7400 series logic...

Tim

westaust55

WestAust55 looks strong on technical nostalgia as well- it' sobering to reflect the 08M has more clout than that project. But never mind TTL & the PDP-11 - I recall wrestling with paper tape/punch cards and a mid 60s PDP-8 (that used DTL).

Re LINUX/UNIX. It's correctly UNIX (which evolved 1969), with a starting time taken as midnight UTC Jan 1st 1970. I recall both that era & even the '69/'70 NY Eve particularly well in fact! LINUX is of course a child of the '90s. Stan
Hi Stan,
That PDP-11 required entering a bootstrap loader using toggle switches on the front panel and then paper tape loading of a program.

Also built a home "computer" based upon the National Semiconductors SC/MP ("Scamp") chip about mid 70's which still needed toggle switches to enter program and data and LEDs as output.

wrt Unix, the Amiga Computers (mid 1980's) operating system was based on Unix.

westaust55

When were anoraks invented? :)
Dippy,

For us warmer weather colonial types you might have to explain what an anorak is :confused:

Been times here in the north of WA when getting up at 4:30am (eg Telfer) and thinking it was darned cold - the minimum for the day was about 30 Celcius.

But still cool relative to a maximum of about 54C.

but with less digress, what is your niche subject? Anoraks?

"In British slang an anorak is a person, usually male, who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. "

Last edited:

westaust55

Cambridge Compurer Labs 'Tripos' configured and maintained by Dr King, I suspect fits better IMHO.

: )

Tim
True, TRIPOS was incorporated into in the AmigaDOS and provided the disk operating system portion of the overall AmigaOS.
The overall Amiga OS was otherwise more Unix based.

Tim036

True, TRIPOS was incorporated into in the AmigaDOS and provided the disk operating system portion of the overall AmigaOS.
The overall Amiga OS was otherwise more Unix based.
That is very interesting. at the time I was unaware of any Unix influence of Unix in AmogaOS, but merging a bit of Tripos in a Unix box is a quaint route forward. *LOL*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPOS

http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/tripos.html

Was this the bit that had Unix code in it ?

Quote "until it was replaced in v36 by a combination of assembler & C"

As an aside....... it is interesting to note that the only reference to Tripos and Unix was this I quote from a Forum:-

Quote:-

I sent Dr Tim King the creater of TripOs/ADos an E-Mail and heres what he replyed.

"Tripos was entirely command line based - much like Unix/Linux was before X-Windows and Gnome and stuff. The rest of the Amiga team put together the graphical front end. RJ Michael did Intuition which was the icons and stuff; Dale Luck did the graphics that underpinned it."

End Quote.

I'm quite interested in the evolution of various OSs such that :-

Unix - BSD - OS X with no Linux involvement was an interesting route but given BSDs rock solid core on reliability, very understandable.

Cambridge Computer Labs have got a very good reputation, including the first use of 'Web Cams' on their coffee pot ! *LOL*

So if anyone knows of the history of the origins of Tripos , I would be very interested.

Tim

Last edited: