MOSFET Switch

Callum

Hi all,
I am stuck on a typical noob question;
I am using BUZ71 mosfets as switches. One in particular needs to switch +12v to an "Enable" line for a car power amplifier; ie when the picaxe line is high, the line has +12v on it, when the picaxe line is low the line is floating / 0v.

I have connected a mosfet up as a high side switch but I just get +12v all the time at the drain, no matter what I go with the gate (ie high / low / direct to ground etc.) I know it's a simple problem but where am I going wrong?

Dippy

Gnash, gnash.. ;)
Seriously though I think the thing that gets some people excitable (not me as I am SO patient and wonderful) is the fact that people sometimes think you can bung any old MOSFET in to relace a mechanical switch or relay in any old application.
"Oh, it says 50 Amps in the spec" - sadly there is more to it.

Generally: P-Chans for high side an N-Chans for Low sided switching.
Yeah, yeah... I know but lets keep it simple.

So, before a great long para, I must ask a question:

Is your experience of electronics extensive?
Do you know (just roughly) the diference between P-chan and N-Chn MOSFETs and PNP and NPN Bipolars. For simple switching they can be comparable.

For your app (and with the limited info supplied) you could do high-sided switcing with a P-chan MOSFET and stuff. To make it safer you could do it with a P-Chan and a signal NPN bipolar and resistors.
(I will asume you are familiar with all the suppression and transient caveats).
Haven't got time to draw or search for a piccy, sorry.

One tip: have a nerd-around. There are a few sites which explain basic transistor circuits with some very nice diagrams. These should be added to your e-Grimoire.

You'll be fine. Good luck.

Callum

Dippy, my knowledge is good (TAFE Diploma in Electronic Engineering, which I am almost ashamed of when I have to come on here to ask a question like this,) somewhat classically we were taught how MOSFETS work in amplifiers etc but never actually used them in a simple switch!

I am aware of typical caveats when using MOSFETS especially in demanding situations but these will be switching 500mA or so maximum, and typically between minutes and hours cycles so it's hardly a demanding job - as long as they are turned on fully.

Using a P channel FET on the high side; if it wasn't nearly midnight it probably would have clicked :)

I also need to buy some more suitable devices; on a Sunday night it wasn't an option but I can do so today.

jglenn

........................................................._____________12V
.........................................................|...........|
.........................................................10K........|
.........................................................|...........s
......................................____________|......|__|
.....................................|C.................|---g-|__p-fet
.picaxe out>-----1K R----|<...npn...................|...|
.....................................|E.............................d
.....................................gnd............................|____>your output
.high on picaxe out grounds npn collector. Pfet is turned on.