A couple questions regarding using wheelchair Motors as actuators...

No0bert

I recently bought two used Jazzy Wheelchair motors, and I am not willing to spend 200-ish dollars on a suitable motor controller. What I wonder is how to use a scooter motor controller? Has anyone interfaced them before? What was your outcome? Thanks!

EDIT: I want speed control so PWM is a must (so relays are out of the question)

EDIT: Also does a springed DC Motor require PWM, or can I just connect it to a regular output and send high and low commands?

EDIT: I found this: http://www.diverseelectronicservices.com/html/mc7_motor_controller.html
is it suitable?

And I dont know the wheelchair motors stall current, but the voltage is 24v each, and I am purchasing two 12v Sealed Lead Acid Batts rated at 18aH

Last edited:

papaof2

I did some work on an electric wheelchair (don't remember the brand). The original battery spec was 30 to 50AH to move the weight of the chair plus a 250 pound rider up to 16 miles at speeds up to 4MPH. The controller used regenerative braking to extend the range of the wheelchair.

Based on the specs for an 18AH SLA battery, you'll need some serious hardware if you plan to load the motors anywhere near their capacity - plan on at least a 50 amp controller.

For comparison, the 10AH SLA battery in the PowerWheels riding toys typically has a 30 amp circuit breaker.

John

Andrew Cowan

Don't be fooled by any motor ratings if you find them. An average wheelchair motor is 250W - at 24V this works out at just over 10A per motor. However, when accelerating, climbing hills or curbs or any other high power operation, don't be surprised if the power increases to 30 or 40A per motor (very briefly). For two motors, I think you would want a 80-100A controller.

A

goom

Quite so Andrew, not suitabe for 24V.
How about using the bargain logic level MOSFETS mentioned in a recent thread (I ordered a batch). You can parallel as many as necessary necessary), and use a driver (search ebay for "MOSFET driver"). Simple PWM from the PICAXE for control.

evanh

12 volts might be enough speed for your needs. Motors aren't fussy. I recommend using a drive with controllable current though.

al3xx

picaxe for scooter motor control

can anyone please help me how can make a scooter start of slowly then fatser then slow and then to stop again by using a picaxe?
can anyone help me?
thanks

Dippy

Hasn't it got a twist throttle?
If so, just turn your hand. :)

Seriously though, you need to provide more information.
Petrol, diesel, or battery-electric?

Has this mysterious unknown scooter already got ANY form of electronic motor control already?
If yes, what is it? If yes, what is the input control? (Cheap pot or expensive an.other device e.g. Hall)

If no, before we go any further what is your level of experience with PWM, MOSFETs and (aargh) MOSFET drivers?
Have you done any searching on this Forum for electronic speed control for motors?

Rickharris

I recently bought two used Jazzy Wheelchair motors, and I am not willing to spend 200-ish dollars on a suitable motor controller. What I wonder is how to use a scooter motor controller? Has anyone interfaced them before? What was your outcome? Thanks!

EDIT: I want speed control so PWM is a must (so relays are out of the question)

EDIT: Also does a springed DC Motor require PWM, or can I just connect it to a regular output and send high and low commands?

EDIT: I found this: http://www.diverseelectronicservices.com/html/mc7_motor_controller.html
is it suitable?

And I dont know the wheelchair motors stall current, but the voltage is 24v each, and I am purchasing two 12v Sealed Lead Acid Batts rated at 18aH

Good information here http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Racer/index.html

Also another good use for your motors if you interested in flying.