DIPTRACE - PCB Cad

Mycroft2152

This project file is for DIPTRACE / Picaxe related files.

The purpose is to make it easier to find and use them.

Please add any new stuff you have created.

Note: Because of the limitations of the forum, I suggest that you use the extension "dsn" for files that will not be accepted by the forum. Make a note to change the extension back to the proper ones before using.

Myc Holmes

Mycroft2152

DIPTRACE Libraries for Homebrew pcbs

Attached is a component library with PICAXE related parts.

The components are drawn in a graphic style to match the actual shape as viewed from the top "live bug" style.

These components all have "enhanced" pcb patterns. They are slightly oversized for ease of drilling by the homebrewer.

Change the extension on Homebrew PCB library to "eli"
Change the extension of TT Pads 3-2 to "lib"

Myc

Attachments

westaust55

WA55 Added Schematic components Library

Added a few more components as an extension to the great work done by MyCroft.

A few of these are already existing in the other manufacturers libraries
(that is the DS1307, DS1338 and MCP23017) so that the format of all components herein are more in line with the "live bug" style Mycroft has used, which I also happen to prefer.

items covered in my library include:
1. 24LC256 - EEPROM (16 kByte),
2. FM24C64 - F-RAM ( 8 kByte),
3. PCF8574 - i2c 8-bit IO expander.
4. LP2950ACZ-3.0 – 3.0V 100mA LDO voltage regulator TO-92
5. EDE1188 - Elabs 64-key keypad encoder
6. 74C922 – 16 key keypad encoder
7. 74C923 – 20 key keypad encoder
8. DS1307 – RTC “standard” at 100kHz i2c for PICAXE
9. DS1338Z – RTC suit 400kHz i2c for PICAXE
10. DS1337C – RTC with 2 alarms and no Batt backup
11. 74HC245 – Bi-directional Octal Transceiver
12. 74LVC245 - Bi-directional Octal Transceiver 5V input tolerant
13. MCP23008 - i2c 8-bit IO Expander
14. MCP23016 - i2c 16-bit / 2 x 8-bit IO expander
15. MCP23017 - i2c 16 bit / 2 x 8-bit IO expander
16. DB15 Female Connector
17. DB15 Male Connector
18. Header 11 pin
19. Potentiometer
20. UGN3503U Allegro Hall Effect (Magnetic Field) Sensor
21. Single Pole switch (smaller than those built in)

Added 11 Oct 2008:
22. 74HC42 4-Line to 10-Line Decoder (1 of 10)
23. 74HC138 3-Line to 8-Line Decoder (1 of 8)
24. 74HC595 Serial to 8-bit Parallel Shift Register
25. 74HC165 8-bit Parallel load to Serial Shift Register
26. 74HC174 Hex D-Type Flip Flops with Clear
27. 74HC367 Hex Buffer and Line Drivers with 3-State Outputs
28. 74HC123 Dual Retriggerable Monostable M/V's with Resets

Added 27 February 2010:
29. Rev Ed FRM010 LCD firmware chip
30. Rev Ed FRM015 Parallel Printer chip
31. Rev Ed FRM050 PWM Motor Driver Chip (for use with L293D and similar)
32. microMega Corp FPU V2 Maths Coprocessor
33. microMega Corp FPU V3 Maths Coprocessor
34. MCP4011 Single SPI Digital Pot
35. MCP41xxx Single SPI Digital Pot
36. MCP42xxx Dual SPI Digital Pot
37. MCP4821 Single SPI 12-bit DAC
38. MCP4822 Dual SPI 12-bit DAC

Added 10 November 2010
39. PICAXE 18M2 - adjusted pin descriptions 21 Mar 2012
40. PICAXE 20X2
41. PICAXE 28X2
42. PICAXE 40X2

Added 11 Dec 2010
43. SAA 1064 4-Digit CA 7/8 Seg LED-driver with i2c comms
44. SpeakJet - Magnevation Speech and Sound Synthesiser

Added 21 Mar 2012
45. PICAXE 08M2
46. PICAXE 14M2
47. PICAXE 20M2

Added 22 Nov 2012
48. MAX7219 8-Digit CC 7/8 Seg LED-driver with SPI comms
49. WS2801 - 3-Channel Constant Current LED driver with PWM outputs and SPI comms (Good for RGB LED control with 16.7 M colours)
50. Stereo Socket - was there already but now fixed

Added 24 August 2013
51. Stereo Socket - was there already but now has larger holes ~1 mm diameter
52. WS2803 - 18 Channel Constant Current LED driver with PWM outputs and SPI comms (Good for RGB LED control with 16.7 M colours)
53. PT6961 - 6 digit 12-segment (or 7 digit 11-segment) CC LED driver - 8 intensity levels and serial interface with 10x3 keyscan
54. MAX6955 - 8 digit 16 segment (or 16 digit as 7/8/14-segment) CC LED driver - 16 intensity levels and i2c interface with 8x4 keyscan

I will continue to edit this post from time to time as I add extra components so my library here in this post remains the most current. Just look at the edit date to check when it was last updated as a sign of new components

After you download each file just remove the ".dsn" extension to leave
- the ".eli" for the "extras" component library, and
- the ".lib" extension for the "pads" library.

Edit 19-10-2008:
I have now added a "Pads" library and linked most of the components library items to these pad layouts

Attachments

Last edited:

nbw

cheers guys - I'm still hunting around for a Transformer within Schematic... in case I missed it...

good work on the PICAXE patterns.

westaust55

AXE022 + AXE111 + related schematics

I have attached a copy of some schematic diagram sheets that I have now prepared with DIPTRACE covering various boards that I have purchased or built for my PICAXE Experimenters Box.

The boards included are:
1. The Rev Ed AXE022 proto-board with 40X1
2. The Rev Ed AXE111 i2c memory expansion board – which also shows
the memory socket from the AXE022.

For items 1 and 2, Rev Ed have datasheets but the schematics are incomplete/non existent.

In an endeavour to keep the length of this thread down in length,
as I generate more drawing sheets I will update this post
and replace the attached file rather than create a new post each time.
So come back and look at the edit date from time to time to see if there is anything new.
Zero or low views to an attachment suggest its new

Attachments

Last edited:

alexthefox

thank for library, how can you edit it? i will do some new components so, can you tell me how can i, or where i can find some info to do new ic?
thk

westaust55

Using DIPTRACE

When you install DIPTRACE you are in fact installing 4 packages/programs.
One Package that I have been using is called Schematic, there is another called Component Editor.

Use the Component Editor to add, modify or copy a component.
Have you downloaded the Tutorial from the DIPTRACE website.
I found that a good way to get started.
See: http://www.diptrace.com/help/

There is also on-line help available at this same link.

rWAVE

PCB Design Tutorial

As many of you explore the benefits of DipTrace (or any CAE package), learning some of the basics of PCB design may improve the functional performance of the board in addition to the aesthetics or professional "look" value.

While many tutorials exist, this PCB Design Tutorial is one of the better ones. Enjoy!

Richard

westaust55

Tips and Tricks for DIPTRACE

Here are some tips and tricks provided to me by Mycroft and another that I have "found" today for myself.

TEXT ALIGNMENT - COMPONENT EDITOR:
To place text more accurately and aligned closely with the component pins.
The easiest way to adjust the text placement is to change the grid size to something like 0.001", move the text then change the grid size back to a standard 0.10" or 0.05" grid.

SCHEMATICS - MULTIPLE-PART COMPONENTS:
The standard DIPTRACE supplied libraries contains some components such as logic gates and the IDC type headers listed as 2 x 7 and 2 x 8 in male and female. If selected, they show up okay as a PCB footprint, but when placed only one half of the connector is shown on the schematic with each insertion.
Two options to place the parts.:
1. placing multiple symbols and then identifying as part 1 and part 2 in the properties.
2. To place all parts on the schematic simultaneously, you will find in the upper left corner of the schematic editor is a check box, "Place all Parts"
That will automatically put all the parts of a component on the sheet at one time, otherwise YOU CAN select which part from the box above.

SCHEMATIC COMPONENTS – STEREO SOCKET:
In the Mycroft schematic symbols library, note that one of the pcb patterns for the stereo jack was meant to be a generic footprint, just a 3 pin header.
There is a separate component symbol for the pcb mount jack that Rev_Ed uses.

ADDING AN INVERT (NOT) LINE:
When adding the text for pin labels to an IC, the standard invert line can be added over the text (such as typical OE or RESET functions) by preceding the text with the ~ character. If only a portion of the text requires the invert line then place another ~ character at the end of the portion to be inverted if mid-text.

This also works with ordinary text for notes etc in the Schematic portion of the DPTRACE package.

It is described for IC pin labelling on Tutorial page 92 (where I found it after discovering it by accident. :)

Mycroft2152

Westy,

Re: the Stereo Jacks

The easiest way to keep them separate is think of them as a pcb mount and a panel mount. The panel mount uses 3 wires to connect it to the circuit.

You can easily change footprints of s component on schematic by right clicking the component and then "Change Pattern".

Or you can permanently change tot pattern in the Component Editor program.

I included a homebrew pattern (footprint) library in the original post, or you can use any of the 43 other pattern libraries that comes with DIPTRACE. Of course it is also pretty easy to create your own or modify one.

Myc

Note: For those of us who use strip boards or vero boards, rather than pcbs, I am working on a library that can be used to draw schematics which can be into Veecad a stripboard layout program.

westaust55

cheers guys - I'm still hunting around for a Transformer within Schematic... in case I missed it...

good work on the PICAXE patterns.
DIPTRACE has a transformer in the standard libraries.
Look in the Disc_Sch library near the bottom. They all start with XMFR

nbw

Cool! Found them. I thought it was a bit obvious for them not to be in there somewhere.

Thanks for that.

manie

The first "Picaxe schematics.pdf" could not open with some "ERROR".... id the file still OK ?
Manie

manie

Not stupid....

I can't find in the manual how to export patterns for PCB placement. I have created a few nice ones and would place them if I know how to export, please help, NOW I feel stupid....
Manie

Noidea

Sorry guys where would I find the L293D in Diptrace?

trying to do my first schematic ever for another question I have.

As Usual

(oo)NoIdea(oo)

alphamike27

DipTrace Upgrade

For those of you that are running the free version of DipTrace with a 200 hole limit.............

DipTrace are offering a free upgrade to 400 (or was it 500) holes.

If you email them at support@diptrace.com they will send you a key.

Sent a request in and got the upgrade within 4 hours.

cactusface

Diptrace..

Hi,
Thanks to you both for the libraries.. I have added a TSOP2438 to one of the libraries on my system, not sure how I did it, but it works. Westaust I found the schematics very useful. Not done anything with home maded PCB's for years, well only just got back into electronics really.

Vero board is handy but!! at times, Seems there's an easy way with a laser printer, just iron it on, anyone tried it? any good?.
Regards
Cactusface

Andrew Cowan

Vero board is handy but!! at times, Seems there's an easy way with a laser printer, just iron it on, anyone tried it? any good?.
Regards
Cactusface
It can be done with Press n' Peel paper, photo paper or glossy magazine pages. I find turning off the heater in the printer makes it very easy, as the ink doesn't stick to the paper.

A

nbw

I've now tried Press n Peel about 9 or 10 times, with varying results. Mostly reasonable - good. I find a nearly but not quite highest iron setting works, no steam, and forget the apron and heels. Use a piece of tissue paper between the iron and PnP. Make sure the board is very clean of fingerprints etc. Nail polish remover is quite good for removing oily marks, and excellent for taking off nail polish. Remove any burrs from the board from cutting also. Push the iron down with a moderate amount of force, without moving. Hold it there for about 30 seconds. Lift the iron straight up and rotate it slightly, then down for 30 seconds. I iron mine for about 5 mins all up. I get the odd blotch which you can touch up with permanent marker before etching.

nbw

Westie, you're a star. Thanks for this - I use DIPTRACE a lot and appreciate your contribution.

westaust55

At post 3, my DIPTRACE library now includes:

45. PICAXE 08M2
46. PICAXE 14M2
47. PICAXE 20M2

The 18M2 pin descriptions have also been adjusted a bit for M2 part consistency

Also links to the pcb pad patterns was added where missing for some IC's and the programming/stereo sockets

mjy58

At post 3, my DIPTRACE library now includes:
Also links to the pcb pad patterns was added where missing for some IC's and the programming/stereo sockets
I think the 'ProgSocket' component to 'StereoSkt' pattern links are reversed - according to Manual 1?
Plug tip should be Gnd going to pad 2
Plug sleeve should be SerIn going to pad 3
Assuming the pattern is viewed from above.

Last edited by a moderator:

westaust55

I think the 'ProgSocket' component to 'StereoSkt' pattern links are reversed - according to Manual 1?
Plug tip should be Gnd going to pad 2
Plug sleeve should be SerIn going to pad 3
Assuming the pattern is viewed from above.
Thanks for that report I will look into the matter shortly.
Is it the WA55 or the mycroft library where the 'ProgSocket' in question exists.
Not currently at my PC with DIPTRACE installed but recall I created a new schematic and cloned mycroft's pad layout.

picnoel

Has anyone made a 3D model of some header pins yet?
The 3D board view is great to put in the projects book. I have to use PrintScrn to capture the image & then crop off the right hand side of the image.

westaust55

At post 3 as of 22 Nov 2012 my library now includes:

48. MAX7219 8-Digit CC 7/8 Seg LED-driver with SPI comms
49. WS2801 - 3-Channel Constant Current LED driver with PWM outputs and SPI comms (Good for RGB LED control with 16.7 M colours)
50. Stereo Socket - was already there but now fixed :mad:

@picnoel,
No, not something I have worked upon.

Last edited:

pleiser

Added a few more components as an extension to the great work done by MyCroft.

Added 22 Nov 2012
50. Stereo Socket - was there already but now fixed

I do not think that the download provided is the current version.
The library uploaded in on this post has far too small of holes for the stereo programming socket (0.014 inches(0.35 mm)IMG_0685.jpg(compare size of stereo socket holes to neighboring capacitor holes ) as I found out after reciving my first PCB that I designed when the stereo socket did not fit :( ) when seeing your post (quoted above) I redownloaded the library, only to find the same problem. The info says that the library was last updated march 21, 2012, not november 22.
~patrick

PCB1.png

westaust55

Hello Patrick,
The previous edit for the programming socket related to the incorrect/swapped pin designations for the ground and SerialIn pins which was fixed. There had been no indication previously that the pads library did not assign holes large enough for the socket pins.

I use Diptrace only for the Schematic drawing capability (most of my projects are one-off and use protoboard) but I provide the pads library as a courtesy for those who do which to progress further and produce PCB’s.

I am very busy with extended hours of paid work and arranging for a significant personal event in a couple of months time so it may be a while (days or weeks) before I get to a further update of the DIPTRACE libraries with more components and any fixes. Also looking to add some more to PEBBLE but time is a little scare at present. Answering questions with a post is relatively quick compared with some other activities I would like to undertake . . .

Thanks for the “bug” report –I will endeavour to attend to it as soon as possible.

westaust55

I have uploaded new DIPTRACE component and pad library files today which have larger holes for the stereo socket (now ~1mm diam) and a few extra chips for LED driver applications

Paix

Your public spirit appears to know no bounds Westy.

I hope that the significant personal event is a huge success and reflects the amount of time put into the planning. Perhaps nearer the time you will share it with us so that we can each send you our best wishes in recognition of the Stirlling (should I say that?) efforts that you make on our behalf.

darb1972

Hello

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have a few questions. Before I start, thanks to Westy and Mycroft for the extensive work put into the attached library files. I appreciate the effort!!!

I've used Diptrace on and off for a while but I'm by no means a pro user. I really like the package and until now I did tend to only use it for PCB Layout doing all schematics in VSM. I really like VSM too but it's a bit of a pain transferring (manually) from VSM to Diptrace for PCB Layout.

Anyway, I'd like to use the schematic capture in Diptrace and then simply transfer straight into the Diptrace PCB Layout (and back again, if necessary). I'll still use VSM but maybe only when simulation (with/without code) is necessary. It's really difficult to find a single package that does it all. I know you can get ARES for VSM but I don't know what it's like or know anyone who uses it. I own a paid edition of Diptrace so I'll stick with it. The downside is it doesn't really do any simulation (or come with PICAXE components).

So my questions relate to the libraries generously donated to this thread and the PICAXE community. Does anyone here use the Schematic Capture for Diptrace? If so, do you know how I get the component from the "Component Editor" to show up in the "Schematic Capture" section? I can't seem to do this but I'm guessing I'm missing something or some step. Any help would be really apprecated.

Regards,
Brad

darb1972

Cancel that. I managed to work it out with the help of a Youtube tutorial.

I tried using the Diptrace Help Files but they weren't overly helpful.

Anyway, I'm all sorted thanks.

darb1972

Hello lbenson

From watching a number of different presenters, I feel the tutorials put together by a user called "BME Builds" are the best. If you can ignore the number of times he says "go ahead" (and he really repeats this a great many times, in EVERY video), his tutorials are clear, easy to follow and informative. I think he might have about a dozen of them on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR6VIZgu2TY

darb1972

View attachment Dorji RF Modules.eli.dsn
View attachment Dorji RF Modules.lib.dsn

Hi All

Here's my first real serious crack at creating a part in Diptrace from scratch. I thought it was only fair to share following the generosity of others! It's a Dorji Transceiver - model number DRF7020D13. I plan on using a few of these in the next few projects so a schematic component and PCB pattern should prove useful. By the looks of it, I think I did it right and I know the dimensions in the Pattern Editor are absolutely spot on. I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to try this but found once I got into it the process wasn't that bad.

Maybe eventually I'll have a go at creating the 3D model if/when I find the right CAD package to use. For now, you can force a 3D view in PCB Layout and although you don't get the (component) height, it gives you width and depth (via the silk) of the PCB (to exact scale), which is handy when you are planning to fit the component into your design (and enclosure).

Please find the two files attached. To upload them I had to do what others have done by adding a .dsn extension to the files. If you download for use please remove the .dsn extension.

Regards,
Brad