PICAXE history

alband

Which genius was it that got hold of a PIC and bootstrapped the AXE onto it, and when?:confused:
Was it Rev-ed or did they get hold of the idea and explode it into this widely know system.
I've looked it up but with no definite answers.
Come on whoever you are, take your well deserved credit!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Rev-Ed certainly get the credit for the PICAXE itself. Technical will be The Official Holder of The Records and Dispenser of Truths, but as best I can find - Clive Seagar of Rev-Ed is usually credited for its development. Spring 2000 is the earliest reference I can find to the PICAXE, the PICAXE forum appears to have started in October 2000.

Rev-Ed might be able to claim to be the first to present a single-chip pre-programmed PICmicro-based Basic interpreter ( certainly the most successful it seems to me ) but there may be prior art there and in less specific terms there are earlier pre-programmed interpreter microcontrollers and similar concepts date back to before the microcontroller was invented. Perhaps the most famous 'interpreter chip' was Intel MCS BASIC-52 dating to the mid 1980's. That was an ( at least ) three chip solution, 8052 with Basic in ROM, needing an SRAM chip plus a 74LS373 address latch.

boriz

Yey. I just patented “A method whereby a microcontroller can operate without the need for a programmer circuit”.

Did you know that Micro$oft recently patented PageUP and PageDown !

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Revolution's first popular PIC system was the Chip Factory
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/detail.asp?prodname=Chip+Factory&quick=1

This was designed in the mid 1990s to enable students to program PIC microcontrollers. It was designed to be used without a computer as IT resources were often limited in school Technology Depts at that time.

It became more popular when reprogrammable PIC chips (such as the PIC16F84) first become available, as that naturally reduced cost of using PICs - prior to that cheaper chips were only programmable 'once' - if it didn't work it had to be thrown away!

By the late 1990s thousands of units had been sold and the Chip Factory won many awards for its innovation. The Chip Factory itself was actually also based around a PIC microcontroller - a PIC that programmed other PICs! This naturally required a very high level of understanding of the PIC architecture and PIC programming routines etc.

The main problem with early reprogrammable PICS - such as the PIC16F84, was that they needed a 12V signal to enter programming mode. That was the whole purpose of all ZIF socket style programmer, as on the Chip Factory - to apply 12V to one pin of the chip so that it could be programmed.

In 1999 Microchip announced a new type of chip, the PIC16F872, that could also be reprogrammed at 5V instead of 12V. So the idea of the PICAXE was born - if you no longer need a 12V signal for programming you no longer need a programmer like the Chip Factory - a simple serial cable will do (as long as the chip has been preprogrammed with a bootstrap code that can accept incoming serial commands). And the cheapest serial cables with 3 signals that could be bought at the time were cables actually designed for early digital cameras, ending with a 3.5mm jack socket.

So a couple of PIC16F872 samples, an old digital camera cable and a couple of cups of coffee and the original PICAXE-28 was born.

Microchip later released suitable 18 (16F627) and 8 pin (12F629) devices, and then as more and more powerful devices came out more powerful PICAXE chips (A, M and X parts) were possible.

And as more PICs are released by Microchip, the PICAXE range will be updated. For instance Microchip surprised everyone by bringing out the much more powerful 28pin PIC16F886 at a far cheaper price than the existing PIC16F873A (used on the 28X). This enabled 95% of the planned (at the time) X2 upgrade such as increased variables, i2c slave mode and scratchpad memory to be included in a much cheaper device - and so the X1 was born. And the new fully updated X2 is coming soon...

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Did you know that Micro$oft recently patented PageUP and PageDown !
I'm not sure it goes as far as many people are claiming it does. Certainly not to the extent that they own "PageUp" and "PageDown" ( and my defence is I have something else anyway, PgUp and PgDn ).

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1<br ></a> &u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,415,666.PN.&OS=PN/7,415<br /> ,666&RS=PN/7,415,666

Patenting and particularly the USPO is seriously broken IMO but a lot of the hysteria is equivalent to the UK's response to allegations that Brussels is going to to force hairnets on fishermen and ban curved bananas.

boriz

"A method and system in a document viewer for scrolling a substantially exact increment in a document, such as one page..."

You couldn't make it up.

kranenborg

In addition to hippy's list: considering very early systems that included an onboard BASIC interpreter (yes, a true single-chip solution) I recall the SC/MP III processor (more specifically the INS8073, with NIBL Basic) from National Semiconductor, a very early but special microprocessor whose architecture emerged in the seventies. Its predecessor was the SC/MP II that I became acquainted with while I was in high school through an Elektor (NL: Elektuur) kit. Programming was through dip-switches, but still fascinating! This must have been in the beginning of the eighties and was my introduction to microprocessors.

Later on, but still in my teenager period I tried to design my own 16-bit Z8000-based computer that would use Tiny Basic as well. All failed because of lack of time, but I have spent months reading databooks and the like which I consider to be a very fruitful learning period. At that time it was still possible to fully understand the complete architecture of a then very advanced microprocessor. See also my page at http://www.kranenborg.org/z8000. I even still own the preliminary technical manual of the mythical (but never released) Z80,000 32-bit processor.

Zilog too had once a version of its Z8 microcontroller (Z8671) with a 4K Tiny Basic on-chip. I suspect the PICAXE BASIC is slightly more advanced, plus a thousendfold reduced power comsumption ...

/Jurjen

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've still got my SC/MP II copy of Elektor. It was Sinclair's first computer as the MK14. I always wanted one but it was well beyond my pocket money and skills.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=961

I've still got a drawer full of ceramic chips with gold tops and legs. The way the economy is going they may soon be worth quite a bit :)

Ralpht

" Patenting and particularly the USPO is seriously broken IMO but a lot of the hysteria is equivalent to the UK's response to allegations that Brussels is going to to force hairnets on fishermen and ban curved bananas."

Banning curved bananas ??
OMG that will put all of Queensland out of business.

They call us Victorians Mexicans and we call them Banana Benders .....

;)

Marcwolf

SC/MP

I cut my Microprocessor programming teeth on an SC/MP back in 1977.
Was actually one of the first at my school to play with Micro processors :>

Mainly as a 15 year old I saved up and took the course myself.

Later I built a Signetic's 2650 system, and in time went commercial :>

ah - memories (insert old fart mutterings here!!! :>)

Dave

westaust55

I've still got my SC/MP II copy of Elektor. It was Sinclair's first computer as the MK14. I always wanted one but it was well beyond my pocket money and skills.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=961

I've still got a drawer full of ceramic chips with gold tops and legs. The way the economy is going they may soon be worth quite a bit :)
I bought the National Semiconductor SC/MP (version1 ) evaluation Kit in 1975 (from memory).
It required a teletype interface.

Around 1976 one of the electronics mags in Oz produced an interface kit which I bought. I added some extra memory to expand the memory from 256 bytes to 1 kbyte &#8211; really bigf stuff then.
The whole lot mounted into a steel box with LED&#8217;s for output and toggle switches for input.

Sort of similar, but certainly not identical, to these links for a Mini-SCAMP based on the SC/MP II:
http://oldcomputermuseum.com/mini_scamp.html
http://www.chookfest.net/computers/miniscamp.html

In my case the &#8220;computer&#8221; case was a bit smaller and power supply in a separate box of equal size (and the weight of a house brick!).

Last edited:

Marcwolf

Speaking of things of the past

Who in Australia remebers Electronic Australia and the EDUC-8

One of the last discrete components computer kits - just before the microprocessor ones came out.

I still have the 'how to make' book for one and it is facinating. All low end TTL logic

Anyway - blasts from the past

Dave

westaust55

Who in Australia remebers Electronic Australia and the EDUC-8

One of the last discrete components computer kits - just before the microprocessor ones came out.

I still have the 'how to make' book for one and it is facinating. All low end TTL logic

Dave
Hi Dave,
Yes, I recall reading the EA articles about the Educ-8. Must have been around 1972 (as I was still living at home then).
I recall the BIG announcement when due to a fall in memory prices it was going to double in memory capacity. From 128 bytes to 256 bytes.

Last edited:

Ralpht

" Who in Australia remebers Electronic Australia and the EDUC-8

"

I still have the original articles somewhere. I belive they avertised it as the first microprocessor in kit form, or some such. Unfortunately they were beaten by Altair's IMSAI kit, by a few months.

My First micro was a SYM 1 SBC, using a 6502 microprocessor. Any one remember that?
It came with an excellent monitor in ROM plus later, a very good Assembler called RAE. I loved it and regret it's loss may years ago.

Currently I am in the process of building one from scratch after managing to find the binaries for the monitor and the assembler.

It also has a floppy disk add on called FODS and later I used it exclusively with the Forth programming language.

Ahh memories .....

Ralph

SC/MP book

I just took a book off my shelf called How to Design, Build & Program Your Own Working Computer System by Robert P. Haviland. It's all about building a rather attractive console computer using the SC/MP chip.

It includes plans for the console, schematics for the CPU, memory, cassette interface, serial interface, and a 64-bit CROM (Changeable Read Only Memory) made out of a diode array.

I never actually built any of the circuits, but it helped me when I was working on my own first computer, the RCA1802-based COSMAC ELF from the March 1976 Popular Electronics.

Chuck

Last edited:

westaust55

X2 parts

Most members seem to have missed the clue:

Does "soon" equate to the northern autumn/fall? A question from an ignorant southerner: When does the northern autumn/fall begin and end?:confused:
On April 10, 2008 Technical had stated:
The 28X will be released in the Summer (UK summer that is!) Details of it's additional features are on the PICAXE comparison page of this site.
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=245&highlight=Summer

The summary sheet I have looked at (and again right now) and commented about a few times before still does not show the X1 parts, let alone the X2 parts. See: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/axe001_pinout.pdf

In the Northern hemisphere, based on astronomy, summer begins on the day of the June solstice and ends on the September equinox.
But, because the seasonal lag is less than 1/10th of a year (except near large bodies of water), the meteorological start of the season, which is based on average temperature patterns, precedes by about three weeks the start of the astronomical season.
According to meteorologists, summer extends for the whole months of June, July and August in the northern hemisphere.

Either way the UK Summer has long gone . . . .
Now where was that ancient Druid calendar . . . .

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I don't think harping on about the X2 delay is really going to change anything, it will arrive whenever it does. If I were Rev-Ed I'd add an extra command or two, call it the X3 and launch it years earlier than expected and superseding the X2, sit back and wait for the applause :)

Bring back the druids and stone henge

I've been there. It's 'a mess'. It certainly doesn't look finished to me. Obviously the UK has a long history of delays in delivering final product.

westaust55

A potted history of PICAXE

From what I have gleaned from Rev Eds own site:

release Date - PICAXE
xx Oct 2002 - 08
22 Jan 2003 - 18A and 28A
26 Apr 2003 - 28X
02 May 2003 - 40X
18 Sep 2003 - 18X
20 July 2004 - 08M
01 May 2007 - 14M, 28X1 and 40X1
20 Feb 2008 - 20M

EDIT:
And this flyer does give a summary of current PICAXE chips including the X1 parts: http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/cat_01.pdf

Last edited:

alband

Erm hmm.
Looks like I've started quite a lot larger thread than intended.
Since I started It, I really feal I should say something after 22 replys.
Thanks, for all the replys.:)
And in short the answer is Rev-ed, yes?:confused: