FT232BL - USB to Serial Issue

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Please state how you made your FT232RL work with Picaxe, for the non-believers.
I think there's some confusion; the FT232RL should always work without requiring inverters but may need configuring with MPROG. Also see my Post #38 ...

Conclusion - For an easy life, use only FT232RL and FT232RQ and modules which contain them.
The easy thing to do is to buy official AXE027 Rev-Ed cables.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
@ tarzan : Yes, so to clear up any confusions ( which after 46 posts there may be some ) ...

AXE027 cables are supplied pre-configured for use ( plug-and-go )

The AXE027's FT232RQ is pre-configured to use inverted serial.

Any third-party USB-to-Serial using FT232RL or FT232RQ will need to be configured for inverted serial using MPROG for compatibility with the AXE027.

The AXE027 and third-party FT232RL or FT232RQ do not need any additional hardware inverters when used with the PIACXE.

Mookitty

Mookitty

Please state how you made your FT232RL work with Picaxe, for the non-believers.

I refer those who doubted that inversion was required to my first post on this matter.

Thank you all.
I had to invert the signals, no way around it. The sparkfun board I linked to is pretty much a raw FT232RL chip with factory settings.

I followed the directions in this thread, using the screenies as a guide to the settings. I had some difficulties, mainly because my bread board connection was iffy. Using a helpy hands clip to hold things steady solved that. I've since made a cable, so I don't have to plug in the sparkfun board with header pins.

A few hints:
Don't change the ID to that of the picaxe cable, mprog will stop seeing it until the RevEd drivers are installed. Thought I bricked it after that bonehead move.
Mprog is unintuitive, RTFM.
Read & Parse is your friend.

But now I have my eeepc (running Ubuntu-eee) & picaxe happily chatting, both for downloading and serial comms. Plus with a bit filp, the board can be used as a plug in LillyPad.& arduino pro programmer. I don't have any arduinos yet, but wanted to keep my options open.

Mycroft2152

Note that when using the FT232R (I don't think you can do this when using the [older?] FT232B), you should not have to add inverters in order to set your correct logic levels. Whether positive logic (active high) ot negative logic (active low), FTDI's MProg utility should be used to configure these settings. It saves hassle and the possibility of a mistake.

The default settings look something like the picture below (I'm not sure about the states of the RTS# and CTS# signals, but it doesn't matter in this case anyhow...)
View attachment 1760

However, to program the PICAXE, you should be using the settings alike those used in the AXE027 cable:
View attachment 1759

ylp88
I've just finished setting up a Fundamental Logic USB to serial board (only $9.13 US). It is nice little board that plugs directly into the breadboard and can be used to supply power (less than 500 ma) to your PICAXE circuit.

http://store.fundamentallogic.com/ecom/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=13

It required reprogramming as ylp88 said. It is very easy to do.
Nut, ou must fist load the D2xx drivers for the MPROG to work.

If you are using Windows XP then, inverting just the Tx and Rx will work, but for VISTA all four Tx, Rx, RTS#, and CTS# must be inverted.

Myc

MikeGyver

I know this is an old post, but I just figured out the solution to why some FTDI 232 chips still won't work with picaxe even after the pins have been inverted with software like FT_Prog. Simply put a 10k pulldown on the chips RX line (picaxe's serial out pin).
Fully functional picaxe usb cable for $15 from sparkfun (the "FTDI Basic" board), enjoy :)

inglewoodpete

Surely the output of the PICAXE will have a lower impedance than 10K? The serial out is an output so the output will either be close to 0v or close to Vcc.

If used on any other pin on the PICAXE, make sure the pin is configured as an output.