Um-FPU math Co-processor help :(

John Gracey

Hi,

Im trying to get my math co-processor to work. It is the Um-fpu V3.1 dip chip. I am trying to use it with an i2c bus setup, but unfortunatly the chip dosnt respond. I followed the data sheet and tied all the pins high, ground, and used the usual 4k7 resistors to tie the i2c bus lines high. I also used the um-fpu picaxe source code and the template. I am using a 5v regulated power source from a 12 volt lead acid battery. I download my program to my picaxe 18x, to find the terminal readings (via sertxd comand) announce that the um-fpu chip is not detected. I dont believe static is a problem. Anyway can anyone help me out? Thanks a hole bunch :)

leftyretro

Well it's hard to help without first hand experiance with the FPU (but I plan to buy one some day, they sure put a lot of features in that chip!) and I've asked here before in the past if anyone has had first hand experiance with this FPU and didn't get any response.

But I might suggest you try half splitting the problem by trying to communicate with a cheap simple I2C EEPROM chip ( like
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=525 ) If you can write a simple program to write and read back a byte or two from the EEPROM and that works, then you can concentrate on the FPU and it's protcol. If you can't talk to the EEPROM correctly then we can see if the wiring is correct, etc on the Picaxe side.

Lefty