Michael 2727

Program Editor - Tool Bar - View - Options -
<code><pre><font size=2 face='Courier'>
|-----------------|
| Firmware ? |
|-----------------| </font></pre></code>
Button should do it.

tarantulataramasalata

Sorry - I should have mentioned the hardware. I have some chips from rev-ed, I don't know whether they are 08s or 08Ms. I have a feeling it's a common problem, but I don't know where to get the information. Any help? Tx

Rickharris

alternativly try to down load to them - if it lets you the chip type is in the lower left corner of the Picaxe screen

andrewpro

Heres the whole list. I think I origionally got it from Hippy maybe?

PICAXE-08 12F629
PICAXE-08M 12F683
PICAXE-18 16F627
PICAXE-18A 16F819
PICAXE-18X 16F88
PICAXE-28 16F872
PICAXE-28A 16F872
PICAXE-28X 16F873A
PICAXE-40X 16F874A

I guess there are also 18's that use the 16F627A as well. Gleamed that from a recent post..within the last two weeks.

--Andy P

manuka

<b>And once identified, suggest you- ahem- label them! </b> =&gt; www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/pcxlabel.pdf <A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/pcxlabel.pdf ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> Moan mode engaged...

This lack of ID has been my main Picaxe gripe, &amp; often leads to incorrect connections or novices confusing them with 555s or logic chips etc. Yeah- it STILL happens. Experiences as a multi decades educator make me appreciate learners need totally lucid instructions, as if they can confuse things they often WILL. Yes- we've even had observant students dump new 18X Picaxes, since they quite rightly thought the X scrawled on them meant &quot; no bloody good&quot;. 08Ms showing a scrawled M can be confused as a W when viewed the other way too.<i> &quot;What's this Picaxe 08W - there's nothing on Google about that &quot; </i> ALL Picaxe projects here are suitably labelled ! =&gt; www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bread08.jpg <A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bread08.jpg ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Military hardware is usually festooned with lucid markings too -<b> insert bullet other way round, no step, abandon in place, 7.62mm , Mk IV, ignite fuse &amp; point sharp end at enemy </b> etc, as even trivial confusion may be lethal. It's a HUGE part of scientific &amp; technical training of course to document, observe &amp; identify. Typical examples of that include chemical reagents - <i>&quot;Ah -now is this Nitric Acid or water ? &quot; </i> ,lab samples &quot; <i>Where's this Bird Flu sample from... </i> &quot; &amp; botanical specimens- the latter are catalogued in excruciating detail.

But,as I've often mentioned before, <b>&quot;Picaxe powered&quot; </b> promotional benefits justify a label as a marketing essential as well, especially in projects that'll get wide PR (Science Fairs etc). It's called selling the product- and it's a GREAT product- one we all are usually proud to promote!

Given the global fascination youngsters have with clothing labels etc, this'd neatly match the intended Picaxe teenage educational market too. Often even trivial items come with logos/labels/use by IDs etc that allow brand loyalty associations &amp; consumer confidence in the product etc. Ex. canned food,soft drinks,airlines,fast food. Would you drink beer from an unlabelled can?

Our micro &quot;rival&quot;, Parallax's Basic Stamps,ARE lucidly labelled ( =&gt; www.elexp.com/test/basic_stamp_modules.jpg <A href='http://www.elexp.com/test/basic_stamp_modules.jpg ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> &amp; a quick Google on say <b>BS2e </b> will soon reveal how it differs from look alikes <b>BS2p BS2 BS2SX </b> . Note their use of different colours for each as well.This is not rocket science! A sheet of labels (perhaps coloured for each Picaxe type ?) could be cheaply rustled up &amp; given away with each order. We're all big kids &amp; can cut &amp; stick 'em on the chips a real treat.

And finally, when away from the Picaxe editor, you could waste ages fault finding a circuit including, say, a soldered in PIC16F819, before you twigged (if at all...)that it was in fact a Picaxe enhanced 18A. Vice versa too - this forum still has posts from folks in import restricted places like Zimbabwe, wondering why their locally scrounged plain PIC12F629 doesn't &quot;08&quot; respond to the editor's commands.

The classic London Underground pathways map (via <b>electrical draughtsman </b> Harry Beck- 1933) <A href='http://www.londonlodgehotels.com/graphics/underground.gif ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a> is of course widely praised for it's lucid presentation of a complex system. Given the Picaxe UK origins it'd perhaps be fitting to use this as a labelling incentive for the Picaxe family too. With today's design wizardry we may even be able to clarify the 08(M) &quot;pins&quot; &amp; &quot;legs&quot; sudoku (!)...

Stan

Edited by - stan. swan on 11/03/2006 22:50:37

tarantulataramasalata

Hey everyone - thanks for the help. I think picaxe should have a little picture of a pickaxe on them - as well as the M/A/X rating. Also praps a mention in the datasheets technical?

Edited by - tarantulataramasalata on 10/03/2006 23:29:02

Fowkc

If the PICs from which PICAXEs are produced are currently sourced directly from standard Microchip production runs, then getting a picture of a picaxe printed on them would add significantly to their cost (I should think).

I have followed Stan's method of simply labelling the picaxe the moment it arrvies through my door. Simple. If you have a massive amount of controllers and ICs to label, try getting those small self-adhesive pads full of stick on numbers and leters.

Fowkc

No argument from me, but coolness alone usually isn't enough to justify expense for a company. I don't think I'd want to pay extra just for a picture of a picaxe, and I wouldn't think Rev. Ed. would like to absorb the cost themselves. I mean, at the end of the day the chips are going to be put in a circuit board inside a box where you can't see them anyway. The only instance I can think of where electronic components have a &quot;cool&quot; factor in selling them is computer fans/cabling/illumination for case modding.

BeanieBots

In my day we used to file the tops of our chips once in circuit so that it would be harder for others to copy. But then I've never considered myself as being cool :-|