25 pin to 9 pin D plug

BrendanP

I just bought a new HP note book, it has a 25 pin D plug (rather than the 9 pin my desk top has), does anyone know what the wiring schematic is to make up a down load cable to use with a 25 pin D socket?

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 25 way on a modern laptop would be a printer port which can't be used. You will need to use a USB adapter - e.g. techsupplies part USB010 at £4.99

manuka

Brenadan - straight from the horses mouth so to speak- these USB/D9 Rev.Ed cheapies work a treat. Other brands are not only costly but often unpredictable..If you can't wait for a UK order then give me a shout & I'll shoot one over. Stan

ylp88

Just to clarify, could I use this cable to convert a serial communication line from PICAXE to PC to a USB communication interface?

If so, this would appear as a COM port (COM1, COM2, etc...) and I could access and send data across USB though, say, a Visual Basic application?

ylp88

evanh

You can also get ethernet ones for the same job and you get all the advantages of full isolation and long range.

Evan

bobrayner

Brendan
Seems you have purchased the wrong HP model. If you go to most of the large retailers, particularly at week-ends, you will invariably be told that laptops don't have serial ports anymore. This is quite incorrect. HP are one of the manufacturers who still have a serial port as a visit to the HP website will verify. You will probably find these under the "Business" heading. In fact I was in the market for a new laptop a few months ago and was told in no uncertain terms that what I was looking for did not exist. This was a Saturday and the retailer's name shall remain anonymous. I wandered down the roat a couple of hundred meters and entered a small computer store (are there any big ones) that I know had been there for quite a number of years and behold a HP model nx9040 (which has a serial port) for a bit less than $1500. Needless to say I walked out with it safely under my arm. New serial port laptops do exist.
Cheers BobR