problem downloading program onto picaxe

namu

Hey,

I had some trouble downloading my program onto the picaxe. this is my first time and i connected the circuit properly and powered it upto 5V and everything. I even did the port test in the options and that worked fine. I don't understand then why my program is unable to be downloaded onto the chip. I get the error saying maybe hardware not connected, chip not powered, etc. and i really have no clue. can someone please help? thank you.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Welcome to the PICAXE Forum.

What hardware are you using; a Rev-Ed starter kit or project board, something from somewhere else or something you built yourself ? Also which download cable are you using ?

There's a download checklist in Manual 1 which may help.

Pauldesign

From my personal experience which i still have to upload photos to prove it and in addition to the already standard troubleshooting tips;

If the reset line is connected through the 4K7 to Vcc and it didn't work, try connecting it directly to 5V or the rated Vcc.

Vary Vcc gradually between 5V to 2V (if it's a 5V part) or between 3.3V to 1.5V (for 3.3V parts) and reprogram at subsequent voltages. (Use this tip esp if it downloads and stop and complained can't read remaining byte).

There were times i thought my chips were faulty when i first programmed them but at last got them to work out of ingenuity. I've managed to program 18X at 2V but doesn't program at 5V. I've also programmed a 5V rated 28x2 at 3V but doesn't program from 3.3V and above. Some critics will say, it's out of data sheet specs but yeah, they were programmed as such and works happily afterward at the rated and the programmed voltages (maybe their life span will be limited but it's :cool: for now esp for a school project and i'll investigate later why the above is happening). After all Electronics is the art of approximations.

Also check for ground connections. (PSU and RS232 must be common)

Vcc must be regulated and if battery powered must be new or fully recharged. (Use a fluke DMM and readings shouldn't fluctuate too much)

I have 3 generic custom exactly made development boards and it happens that the same chips can be programmed in some board and not in others and sometimes must be programmed at different supply voltages. :eek:

Maybe i'm taking chances :rolleyes:. or maybe just those particular chips.

Anyway, i got new chip coming soon which i'll use to raise my case.;)

Also check if you have selected the right chip or COM port and correct COM port settings in programming editor.

What OS are u using, if Windows 7, download only the USB to RS232 driver from PICaxe website.

Cheers