Compile a "binary" ?

MORA99

In the future will it be possible to compile just a binary from the bas file ?
So that you can send this binary to someone else that should not see the code, and they can program the picaxe from this ?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Yes that is possible.

I don't know if Rev-Ed plan to do that, but if not I'm willing to do it. This will probably need the permission of Rev-Ed and done in conjunction with or through them, and no source code will be released.

You'll need to install the Rev-Ed command line compilers, run another application which will compile the .bas file to a .obx file which will be an encrypted file which can be sent to someone else. They can use the same application to download the .obx file to a PICAXE.

Hopefully Rev-Ed will say "go ahread" as they've now embraced the idea of third-party tools which can interact with the compilers.

leftyretro

Yes that is possible.

I don't know if Rev-Ed plan to do that, but if not I'm willing to do it. This will probably need the permission of Rev-Ed and done in conjunction with or through them, and no source code will be released.

You'll need to install the Rev-Ed command line compilers, run another application which will compile the .bas file to a .obx file which will be an encrypted file which can be sent to someone else. They can use the same application to download the .obx file to a PICAXE.

Hopefully Rev-Ed will say "go ahread" as they've now embraced the idea of third-party tools which can interact with the compilers.
"go ahread" :confused: Hope the encryption thing is tolerant of humans :D

Kidding aside, sounds like a very useful tool that could open up opportunities for both creators and consumers of this cool thing called picaxe :)

evanh

A point of clarification. It will be a tokenised binary, I assume, not a compiled one. The interpreter is not being replaced otherwise it'd just be an ordinary Pic chip. Or is that what is wanted?

Evan

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Got it working.

Needs some tidying up and documentation but a "MakeObx" utility creates this .obx file, that gets emailed to the user or posted on a web-site, they can download it to their PICAXE using a "LoadObx" utility. The .obx file is the equivalent of a .hex file for a PICmicro.

A third "ViewObx" utility allows a .obx file to be examined to show what version release it is, what the PICAXE target is etc. Release versioning and target tracking is all automatic.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
In the future will it be possible to compile just a binary from the bas file ?
So that you can send this binary to someone else that should not see the code, and they can program the picaxe from this ?
Yes, this is a feature already prepared, and the code will be encrypted so that it cannot be decoded.

Grogster

Got it working.

Needs some tidying up and documentation but a "MakeObx" utility creates this .obx file, that gets emailed to the user or posted on a web-site, they can download it to their PICAXE using a "LoadObx" utility. The .obx file is the equivalent of a .hex file for a PICmicro.

A third "ViewObx" utility allows a .obx file to be examined to show what version release it is, what the PICAXE target is etc. Release versioning and target tracking is all automatic.
This sounds excellent.
:)

When and where can we get hold of copies to try out?

...or is it still in the Alpha testing stage(probably is!)?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
As Rev-Ed will be producing their own version I moved on to another project. The two are unlikely to be compatible and mine would be Windows only.

Grogster

As Rev-Ed will be producing their own version I moved on to another project. The two are unlikely to be compatible and mine would be Windows only.
Do you know if RevEd are going to include this in their full-featured programming editor, or produce a stand-alone application for doing this?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
My guess is that the Programming Editor will itself call the command line compilers so I'd expect it to be provided for both, PE and command line utility.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
We have no objection to third parties doing their own, but as Hippy suggests for maximum versatility it will be included in the command line compiler once the current beta testing phase is over. So you will run the compiler with something like this to create an 'encrypted picaxe file' using your unique password

picaxe08m -emy_password filename.bas

produces an encryted file (filename.epf)

Then to program it at the far end
picaxe08m -dmy_password -cCOM7 filename.epf

Programming Editor will also include this feature via the PICAXE>Encrypt menu.

You can then, for instance, safely post the .epf file on a website, no-one can use it unless they know your password aswell.

tarzan

Programming Editor will also include this feature via the PICAXE>Encrypt menu.

You can then, for instance, safely post the .epf file on a website, no-one can use it unless they know your password aswell.
A useful feature would be to have a run once only or set number of times facility.

smartpartzzkidd

I still think the real question needed to be asked is why? Programming in Hex makes things simpler, and it takes less space on the chip(usually).