Font size

talisman

Programming Editor currently about size 6. Cannot read easily and cannot change .Please advise how to change.

Dippy

I didn't know if you can change it.

I use a screen res of 1280x1024 on 19" displays and the font size (visual guess) is about 10/12 point, which is about the same (visually) as the default text size for this forum. IE7 gives the zoom option but I never need to use that for text as I don't have any bad habits.

Being able to adjust would be nice as I know one or two people who insist on running the highest possible (Windows) sceen resolution on small monitors and then moaning that they can't see anything.

Come to think of it, this minor criticism applies to a couple of other editor/compilers I use. I just sit closer to the screen :) (just kidding).

talisman

Thanks Dippy. I use 1024 x 768 on a 17 inch screen and the size is about 6. When I change to 800 x 600 most type jumps out at me but not Programming Editor. It simply changes to about size 7.
I have never noticed this problem before updating to latest level. Maybe there is a clue there.
In any case it must be possible to change font size somehow, it is just not satisfactory the way it is. Changing font size in Windows has no effect.
Anyone else with any ideas ?????

BCJKiwi

This question has been raised before without any resolution at this time - see;
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9589&highlight=editor+font

There is no configuration option in any files or the registry associated with the Programming Editor that I could find and it has been suggested that Technical look at it.
Technical did indicate that you could set the font type to RTF and change it there but then all sorts of other Editor features don't work.

Last edited:

talisman

Thanks BCJKiwi, Cannot believe others are putting up with this ridiculous font size without complaining.
Hopefully someone will convince Technical to look at it and real soon.
Still maintain it was not like this before the latest upgrade but as I also reloaded Windows XP on the same day I cannot be certain.

BCJKiwi

The reason most are not complaining is because they simply don't have such a small font size - not sure how/why you have such a small size.

My current monitor is an LG 18" LCD running at 1280 x 1024.
Programming Editor is some sort of Times Roman or Courier and when measured with a ruler test is 6 Lines per /25mm or Inch.

This is in line with Dippy's experience above - i.e. the font size is pretty much the same as it is in the default of all the other software we are running.

Perhaps there is an issue with the default font file in your Windows installation.
I had this once some time back and resolved following technical's advice - see here;
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6936&highlight=courier

Last edited:

talisman

Thanks again BJCKiwi. Have changed Windows default to Courier and several other fonts at varying sizes but still have the small font in Progedit. Measured at 11 letters per 25mm.
Will reload picaxe and hope for the best.

talisman

Thanks again BJCKiwi. Have changed Windows default to Courier and several other fonts at varying sizes but still have the small font in Progedit. Measured at 11 letters per 25mm.
Will reload picaxe and hope for the best

Dippy

What happens if you try (Windows) Display/properties/advanced?
What is your default DPI?

With the previously mentioned res. setting at the default 96dpi I get 10 chars per 25mm on-screen (19" CTX). And 8 and-a-bit at 125dpi.

Is there an adjustment in your video chipset driver whatever manuf that may be?

Sounds more like a Windows/video issue rather than ProgEd.

BCJKiwi

Have you tried replacing the default font files as per the thread referenced above - specifically try this;
Code:
OK, Have deleted and re-installed the 
Courier 10,12,15 (VGA) coure.fon file (which was already there) 
with another from a differnt source and problem seems to be resolved.
Just get the courier font file from another working PC and delete the one in your fonts folder and replace it with the 'good' one. The Issue I was having (italic) only occured in Programming Editor but was resolved by replacing the file. My guess is that it probably was not the file but some glitch in Windows.

Last edited:

talisman

Dippy/BJCKiwi Thanks again. I have installed the same download in another PC running XP and Progedit gives me 8 characters per inch which looks normal. Still have 11 characters per inch on my PC but guess it must be a Win XP problem.
Still would like Progedit to have selectable font size. I'm not getting any younger and a large font seems a good idea.
This is my first foray into this forum and I really appreciate the quick and meaningful replies. Over and out !!!!