Organic Led 20x2 display

moxhamj

I've just swapped an LCD display for an organic led one! These displays are readable from the other side of the room and look stunning. Same pinout and code as for driving the LCD display (see the picaxe manual 3). 80mW current consumption = 16mA. Available from http://stores.ebay.com/Sure-Electronics. Readable from any angle (unlike LCDs). High brightness. The photo doesn't quite do it justice as the individual squares are extremely crisp. These are the displays for me!

Attachments

Dippy

Look nice.
I see in Data Sheet that there is "Supply Voltage for Logic" and "..Voltage for LCD brightness".

Asuming a typo (LCD) , can you turn the LED power down for minimal consumption whilst leaving logic ON?

I'm just thinking of battery apps. I do, of course, realise you can switch the whole thing off, but there are times when that isn't wanted.

moxhamj

Voltage for brightness is the same as the brightness pot for an LCD display, so yes, you could turn it down to conserve power. Or just send lots of blank characters to the display (ascii spaces).

kevrus

I definitely agree on the clarity and readability of these OLED displays. I also have a couple of these, a 16x2 and 20x2 from the same source (Sure Electronics). In fact, I get most of my LCD displays from them as prices are excellent...wouldnt mind finding a 20x4 in this format.
I did read somewhere that the OLED life is a lot less than conventional LCD or LED hence they are more suited to intermittent operation as apposed to permanent, not sure though.

Dippy

Lifetimes: Maybe it depends on the manufacturer/price?

I'd expect OLED lifetimes to be pretty good, especially as in 10 years time all your LCD/Plasma TVs will be replaced by OLED. (Crystal Ball at full power).

Mycroft2152

Lifetimes: Maybe it depends on the manufacturer/price?

I'd expect OLED lifetimes to be pretty good, especially as in 10 years time all your LCD/Plasma TVs will be replaced by OLED. (Crystal Ball at full power).
Wishful thnking.

If you haven't noticed TV's and most consumer electronics are not designed to last 10 years!

nbw

Recently parted ways with our clunker old Sony Trinitron 29". It lasted 9 years and was just... beginning... to. f--f-ffaa---a-a---aiil---ll

All of the appliances out here come with 12 months warranty. How's that for faith in your product?!? LOL