Out of Memory error

heli_madken

Hi Everyone, new to this forum and just starting out

For a couple of days I have been succesfully starting the programming editor, downloading and running small programmes to the Servo Driver kit. I am running Windows XP SP2

Now when I start a new project and write a couple of lines of code and attempt to save I get a dialogue that says 'Error '7' Out of Memory' the editor shuts down and will not start correctly again even after a reboot. I have to do a system restore and full installation before it will work again.

I downloaded the latest version but get the same response, anyone any ideas?

Can you give us your system specs and be a bit more specific. Windows XP SP2 doesn't tell us much, as I have Windows XP SP2 aswell.

heli_madken

Hi My computer is patched up to date for Windows XP, the fault produces a dialogue box with the text 'Runtime Error '7', Out of Memory' it appears at random when I click the save button, that is sometimes a save will be successful. It can happen when I have text loaded in the editor or when there is no text present and either with the project board connected via the USB interface or without.

The effect is to close the editor down, on trying to restart I get the main splash screen but no further, the editor in effect hangs and needs to be closed through task manager. The only way to get the editor working again is to roll the computer back using system restore, but then I get the same response so its pretty pointless

heli_madken

Just as a footnote, I seem to be having some success now running in compatibility mode for Windows 2000, has anyone else experieced this?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Most people running Windows XP ( and I suspect that's the majority of people here ) have reported no problems but a very small minority have, although not necessarily the same as those you are having.

One option is to entirely uninstall the Programming Editor. Then delete the entire installation directory itself, which is probably -

C:\Program Files\Programming Editor

Re-Boot, re-boot again, and then re-install from a full download version of the Programming Editor. Re-boot yet again, and then see if the Programming Editor runs.

heli_madken

Thanks I had already tried that, several times! Looks like something specific with my machine, must be reading a portion of memory it doesnt like. I have done a full evenings messing about without any problems by running in compatibility mode for W2K so it will do for now.

Hasnt sorted my project though, cant seem to figure out the input on my PICAXE-08M Servo Driver, I have the RX input connected to input port labelled 4 on the PCB and servo on output port labelled 1, running this code produces nothing -

symbol analogport = 4
symbol analogvalue = w1

Do_loop:
readadc analogport, analogvalue
analogvalue = analogvalue * 10 / 17 + 75
servo 1, analogvalue

goto Do_loop

At the moment I have the servo powered off the PCB shoudl I split this off in case of noise?

Sorry know I am being greedy now this should be a new post!

Dippy

Re: the Out of Memory message.

Over the years with Win98 / 98SE and once with XP I have had a similar message with various applications esp Adobe Pagemaker. Never got a solution and it was unpredicatable though I noticed that the less software I had installed then the less likely it was, possibley unrelated but there we are. And no doubt Microsoft would give the 'reboot/reinstall' answer too as that is the easiest. Unless, of course, you have some 'unusual' software installed on your PC?
Annoying, but before we all write to Bill I must add that Suse Linux wasn't faultless either... but that's another story. I just hope I never have a PC controlling my Life Support machine :eek:

BeanieBots

For your servo question, start a new thread and add a little more detail.
It's not clear what you mean by Rx. If that is an RC Rx output than you should not be trying to read it as an analog voltage.

heli_madken

Hi Thanks, It is an RC RX input, the instructions for the AXE024 say that input 3 is digital perhaps thats where I am going wrong as I am using the others which are presumably analog, if it doesnt work I will start a thread

Thanks again, Ken

BeanieBots

The output from a RC Reciever is a pulse width.
It is the same as the pulse that the servo command puts out.
You need to use pulsin to measure its width.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I recently had to reinstall Win XP because it would not find a USB device driver when the device was plugged in. Bill's only helpful error message was "The specified file cannot be found" with no indication as to what that file might be. Thanks. A re-installation instantly solved the problem, so, as unwanted as a reinstall is, it can often work wonders.

The problem with diagnosing operating system issues is that everyone configures them differently, and often entirely differently to what a developer expects. Many applications ( including Microsoft's ) cannot accept that I may have a white-on-black colour scheme, others may only expect specific internationalisation settings. Even a perfectly designed application can fail if a necsessary sub-component is not as well designed.

I'm currently seeing "Stack Overflow" errors on re-booting Win 98SE about 20% of the time, and running Acrobat Reader with Firefox open occassionally hangs Firefox and then gives "not enough memory to run this application" errors if I try to run anything else. I've changed nothing, but something I've installed or upgraded has.

It's very easy and appears obvious to blame the application which fails for failing but it may be something else entirely.

One thing which may be worthwhile is to set the BIOS memory test at turn-on if not already on so you can test your PC's memory. I had all sorts of weird problems once ( typical after I had explained how semiconductor DRAM was so reliable that it never fails ) and found that one SIMM had indeed failed.